Gay man stoned to death in Jamaica

MarkSeattle

Started a new thread instead of posting in the nine year old thread which was recently bumped. An excerpt from the article is below.

-----

An angry mob stoned a young, allegedly gay man to death in Jamaica and filmed themselves hurling rocks at his head.

The video of the murder of the alleged gay youth, believed to be aged around 19 to 21, has gone viral on social media after being posted last week.

It shows the young man dressed effeminately with long hair, appearing to be tied up in ropes or wire, laying in a pool of his own blood. A large stone is thrown at the boy's head, blood gushes out.

It's not clear whether he is still alive or conscious as the rocks break his skull.

You can hear homophobic slurs, clearly said with a Jamaican accent, yelling: 'Batty man yuh fi dead!' This means, 'Gay, you should die'.

The identity of the murdered youth and many of the other details of the stoning are still unknown. Some have reported the victim was gay and had visited underground gay venues in Kingston.

Uncomfirmed social media reports suggest the youth was stoned in Montego Bay and it is believed to have happened in the last few weeks.

This is the same parish where gender non-conforming teen Dwayne Jones was murdered in 2013. Jones was chopped and stabbed to death by a mob. No one was ever charged with the murder.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gay-youth-stoned-death-jamaica090315#sthash.hT67sXPK.dpuf

Cruise ships out of the Gulf Coast and Florida cruise ports stop in Jamaica and in particular Montego Bay (Mo'Bay). Jamaica is not safe for GLBT particularly but also for most everyone. If you go to Jamaica and get off the ship, you do so AYOR. The so called "police" will do nothing to help you and may even join in the activities against you.

We have been to Jamaica twice and about to go again on a cruise because the cruise we wanted to go on goes there as well as the ports we want to go to like Grand Cayman. Like the last two times, we will not get off the ship but consider it a day at sea.

Be very wary of getting off the ship in Jamaica!

Matthew Sheppard all over again.

It baffles me why anyone would even get off the ship in Jamaica and spend one cent there. Or even more baffling why book a cruise that stops there???

Agreed, we never get off in Jamaica anymore after giving it a try and only having negative experiences. Booking cruises that don't go there? Easier said than done sometimes. I almost prefer the ones that do go there, so I have a day with the ship to myself while everyone else heads ashore!

the first time I was there was in the 1970's & I was a kid(really) walking w/ my Aunt & we were harassed to the point we ran back to the ship. I never went back until the late 1980's I believe...still the same hateful people...swore never to go back gay or straight it does not matter.

Also please note even tho you don't get off the ship - the island still gets income from the port charges!!!!!

The Caribbean is mostly homophobic, just a matter of degree between the islands and cultural background. The former British colonies are probably more extreme than French or Spanish colonies for the most part. I find the general demeanor of people there to be arrogant and obnoxious anyway. I ignore all of it to enjoy the climate and geographic beauty. Just engage as little as possible, spend as little money as possible, enjoy your own space.

The Caribbean is mostly homophobic, just a matter of degree between the islands and cultural background. The former British colonies are probably more extreme than French or Spanish colonies for the most part. I find the general demeanor of people there to be arrogant and obnoxious anyway. I ignore all of it to enjoy the climate and geographic beauty. Just engage as little as possible, spend as little money as possible, enjoy your own space.

Interesting. My experiences have been quite the opposite. The local people have all been quite nice and welcoming - and my experiences have all been on gay charters, so not just a handful of gay peopel but gays by the hundreds!

From the cab driver in St. Maarten that had a "Real men love Jesus" sticker on the back of his car but did not bat an eyelid as 12 of us in his van had a great time while he drove us and told us all about his island.

Or the woman that was our tour guide in Roatan, and who we encouraged - with the driver - to sing the Honduran national anthem.

Or the women in St. John that told us that "they did not tell us that you [the gays] were coming" because we were nice and we shopped a lot.

Or the woman on a scuba excursion in Belize that was surprised to find out that we were all gay and wanted to see a picture of my partner.

Agreed, we never get off in Jamaica anymore after giving it a try and only having negative experiences. Booking cruises that don't go there? Easier said than done sometimes. I almost prefer the ones that do go there, so I have a day with the ship to myself while everyone else heads ashore!

I have been on one cruise there, although I wasn't involved in picking the itenerary.

What I don't like about going and staying on the ship is that Jamaica still gets port fees.

The cruise lines of course are always full, so unless there are many more crimes against tourists the lines will never have enough pressure to be forced to move elsewhere; I would just rather give my money to alternate sailings.

Things do change on some islands. In the 90's there was an RSVP cruise that got a very reception when they visited Grand Cayman. They have worked on being more welcoming and this past February we were there again on a RSVP cruise and there were no issues.

Interesting. My experiences have been quite the opposite. The local people have all been quite nice and welcoming - and my experiences have all been on gay charters, so not just a handful of gay peopel but gays by the hundreds!

From the cab driver in St. Maarten that had a "Real men love Jesus" sticker on the back of his car but did not bat an eyelid as 12 of us in his van had a great time while he drove us and told us all about his island.

Or the woman that was our tour guide in Roatan, and who we encouraged - with the driver - to sing the Honduran national anthem.

Or the women in St. John that told us that "they did not tell us that you [the gays] were coming" because we were nice and we shopped a lot.

Or the woman on a scuba excursion in Belize that was surprised to find out that we were all gay and wanted to see a picture of my partner.

Richard & I have never had an issue anywhere in the Caribbean. That being said we did not really feel "safe" in Jamaica, when we were there 9 years ago. For that reason & the numerous postings would just have us do a spa day should any cruise take us to Jamaica.

Richard & I have never had an issue anywhere in the Caribbean. That being said we did not really feel "safe" in Jamaica, when we were there 9 years ago. For that reason & the numerous postings would just have us do a spa day should any cruise take us to Jamaica.

Oh, Jamaica is not one of the ones getting better! Haven't been, have no intention to go there. :)

We have a straight friend that loves Jamaica and the people, she goes there on her own and does not stay in the big resorts. It confounds me, but for her it works. Don't know how, don't know why.

I barely get off the boat there, wander out to the few shops that are right on the main intersection. the can be sketch though and will try to overcharge you for simple thins. So stay on top of them. Side note - it is best to use cash in these shops, and not risk your cc being copied and used fraudulently later.

The seedy part is that I must been offered drugs 5 times or more between walking to the ship and the shops.

While I am a gay guy, I'm not some brittle twink strutting around in hot pants and a mini tshirt. I'm a bigger solid guy. I don't feel physically intimdated by the locals who appear waif like because of heavy drug usage.

But a bigger picture has to be addressed - if these crimes against gays are ignored by lawenforcement, cruise lines really need to stop going to these ports. Stop sending our gay dollars for the cruise, that the cruise line uses to pay these ports as docking fees.

I barely get off the boat there, wander out to the few shops that are right on the main intersection. the can be sketch though and will try to overcharge you for simple thins. So stay on top of them. Side note - it is best to use cash in these shops, and not risk your cc being copied and used fraudulently later.

The seedy part is that I must been offered drugs 5 times or more between walking to the ship and the shops.

While I am a gay guy, I'm not some brittle twink strutting around in hot pants and a mini tshirt. I'm a bigger solid guy. I don't feel physically intimdated by the locals who appear waif like because of heavy drug usage.

But a bigger picture has to be addressed - if these crimes against gays are ignored by lawenforcement, cruise lines really need to stop going to these ports. Stop sending our gay dollars for the cruise, that the cruise line uses to pay these ports as docking fees.

I think the "Brittle Twink" remark is going to get you flamed!

Oh, Jamaica is not one of the ones getting better! Haven't been, have no intention to go there. :)

We have a straight friend that loves Jamaica and the people, she goes there on her own and does not stay in the big resorts. It confounds me, but for her it works. Don't know how, don't know why.

Either way I'm with you. We'll stay on board. I've avoided trips that do Jamaica. Celebrity seems to skip them & it works for us.

In todays NY times there is an article written by a gay Jamaican man and his experience in Jamaica - try to read it - it sure does bring clarity to the situation!

Tilte - "Breaking Out - I knew I had to leave my life in Jamaica - whether in a coffin or a plane!" the Author is Marlon James.

AS long as CCL & other lines get some sort of economic advantage of visiting these type of ports nothing will change. Nassau Bahamas was not too much better & yet is a regular stop. There are plenty of islands to go to so that's not the problem. Even with all the information available- not just here in CC - I'm surprised that so many gay men & women still get off the ship - they are just supporting Jamaica. Even if its just for a walk.

The drug issue is appalling...its scary.

On a nother topic - you said you were a BIg Solid Guy......what are you doing for diner??????

:0)

the first time I was there was in the 1970's & I was a kid(really) walking w/ my Aunt & we were harassed to the point we ran back to the ship. I never went back until the late 1980's I believe...still the same hateful people...swore never to go back gay or straight it does not matter.

Also please note even tho you don't get off the ship - the island still gets income from the port charges!!!!!

With Holland-America in Jamaica last December we received a port charge credit on our cabin bill. We stayed on the ship and had a wonderful spa day.

We had port charge credits on our bills on other Holland-America stops and from Cunard.

I thought they would only refund port charges if they don't make it to a port. It doesn't matter how many people get off a ship in port, they pay it per passenger on on the ship.

With Holland-America in Jamaica last December we received a port charge credit on our cabin bill. We stayed on the ship and had a wonderful spa day.

I have never heard of a refund of port charges because a passenger personally chooses not to go ashore. Ceratinly when a port is missed or other problems occur for the ship there were refunds of port charges...

How did you come about getting the credits?

I thought they would only refund port charges if they don't make it to a port. It doesn't matter how many people get off a ship in port, they pay it per passenger on on the ship.

Yeah that was my understanding as well, I'd say if you got a refund of those fees you're lucky!