Heathrow to stonehenge to southampton

Hello! I have done a search but only found a couple of threads that were useful.

I am cruising on the Independence of the Seas on Saturday 7/29/17, and flying into Heathrow the morning of Friday 7/28/17. We need transportation to Novotel in Southampton, where we are staying the night before our cruise. On the way, I'd like to see Stonehenge.

What is the best way to do this? I contacted one company and they wanted 299 pounds and that DID NOT include admission to Stonehenge. I contacted another company and they said 79 pounds, plus 50 pounds to stop at Stonehenge. It doesn't include admission either.

The prices are so far off, I really don't know which is the best company to use! Can anyone who has done this, offer advice? I don't need to spend the day at Stonehenge...just a little while to tour the site.

Thanks in advance! :)

You will need to book a private hire car and you will have to pay for the waiting time (an hour?) while you look at the stones.

Try our old favourite - Smiths for Airports http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html. email them with your date, time and flight number and ask for a quote. You should book the Stonehenge tour in advance to save on waiting time. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/

You'll not find a private transfer Heathrow to Southampton for much less than the £79 you've been quoted.

Adding Stonehenge on the way adds about 45 minutes driving, plus waiting time of around 90 minutes - so the £50 sounds about right.

But because Novotel is right opposite Southampton Central train station there are some options, depending on your flight time.

Take the £79 private transfer to Novotel, drop your luggage there & cross the road to Southampton Central rail station.

Direct trains run to Salisbury every half-hour, journey time 30 to 40 minutes, round-trip fare under £10 pp.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

At Salisbury station take the Stonehenge Tour ho-ho. It runs every 30 minutes on your date. Ho-ho fare is £15, but buy tickets inclusive of Stonehenge admission for £28 total - this avoids having to figure your arrival time for pre-purchasing timed Stonehenge tickets. (something which can be problematic with a private Heathrow to Stonehenge transfer because of unknown delays with flight arrival, airport formalities, etc).

After Stonehenge stop off at Old Sarum if you have the time & the inclination and the weather is kind.

But do make time to visit the cathedral when you get back to Salisbury, it's magnificent. There's no "admission fee" to the cathedral but a "donation" is expected. If you buy a ho-ho ticket with the cathedral included you're covered, but since you won't know whether you'll manage it probably best to just put your hand in your wallet when / if you do. Then ho-ho (or 20 minute walk) back to Salisbury station for the return train.

The train & ho-ho tickets will cost you the £50 you saved on the dog-leg private transfer, but you can fit in so much more.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/the-stonehenge-tour

Get a quote for a private transfer from Heathrow to the Cat Tavern on Salisbury station approach.

Drop your bags at the Cat Tavern (stored for £4 per bag) & take the Stonehenge Tour, as above.

Collect your bags when you get back to Salisbury station, then buy one-way train tickets to Southampton (one-way fare is almost the same as the round-trip fare, but that's life.)

Take the direct National Express bus from Heathrow to Salisbury, fare £17.50.

15 minute walk from the Nat Express bus stop to the Cat Tavern / Salisbury station, then as above.

But the buses are infrequent - the only one which would make any sense departs Heathrow at 12.20 (a little later from some terminals) and arrives Salisbury 2.30pm. That means you'd make the 3pm ho-ho, which gets you to Stonehenge about 3.30pm.

If you choose that option you are strongly advised to pre-book the Nat Express bus.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Forget Stonehenge that day, & go there on the morning of your sailing. If you start early, train to Salisbury in time to catch the first ho-ho of the day at 9.30. Gets you to Stonehenge 10am. The ho-ho from Stonehenge at 11.43 gives you plenty of time there & gets you back to Salisbury station at 12.14 so you'd be back in Southampton about 1pm. You might even be able to visit Salisbury cathedral too, depending on your latest registration time at the pier.

This means from Heathrow you can take the £79 private transfer, or you can take the direct National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton at about £25. Again you should pre-book, but the frequency on this route is better. But the bus will only save a couple about £30.

Check out your scheduled flight & ship registration times and krunch some numbers

JB :)

Just to confuse you ;p, a couple more options to add to the mix

Train from Heathrow to Salisbury. Not as simple as it sounds because it involves a RailAir bus http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/buses-and-coaches/rail_air-bus-links (every 20 minutes) from Heathrow to the nearest main-line station at Woking, where you switch to a direct half-hourly train to Salisbury.

Total journey time 2 hours or less, total cost Heathrow to Salisbury £38 per person. Then as per my previous post.

Rent a car at Heathrow and drive to Stonehenge, Salisbury and/or wherever, then to Southampton. Drop the car off next morning. All the major agencies have depots near the port except Avis who are only at Southampton airport. No parking charge at Stonehenge, fuel will cost you around £20.

WOW...this info is AMAZING!!!! Thank you very much, John!!! Now to decide which way is easiest. :confused:

You would be very brave to attempt to visit Stonehenge on sailing day.

Check out time at most hotels in Southampton is 12 noon, enabling immediate embarkation.

So what do you do with your luggage if you are at Stonehenge on embarkation morning?

Check out time at most hotels in Southampton is 12 noon, enabling immediate embarkation.

So what do you do with your luggage if you are at Stonehenge on embarkation morning?

Check out before you go and ask the hotel to store your luggage until you get back.

Check out before you go and ask the hotel to store your luggage until you get back.

Yep. :)

Hotels are generally very happy to do this - pretty-well world-wide

Trains from Salisbury every half-hour. Aim for one heading back at about 12.30, but you could miss that and the next one (or even the one after that) and still be at the pier in time.

And a taxi back to Southampton (23 miles) as a Plan B if there were some (unlikely) major screw-up on the railways.

Allows little or no time to also see Salisbury or its cathedral, and outside the summer season the first ho-ho from Salisbury to Stonehenge isn't til 10am. But can still be done.

• 1 month later...

Wow!! I'm having the same difficulty sorting out the Heathrow-Stonehenge-Southampton trip. We round trip Southampton, so after reading all this, I'm now thinking day of debarkation to go to Salisbury & Stonehenge. We've got a rental car. How long a drive is it & how difficult to get to? Now just need to figure out timing for tickets.... SO many thanks!!

I've decided we wouldn't be going to Stonehenge on sailing day. We arrive in Heathrow on Friday, and our cruise is sailing away from Southampton on Saturday. We have a hotel booked for the night in Southampton. So we have the whole day to play! :cool: I'd rather do it that day, than risk running late on sailaway day.

You really are not missing much bypassing Stonehenge. Been there twice and the last time the stones were blocked off by rope. You cannot get close anymore. Probably because of people chipping away at the stones. And it is out in the middle of nowhere. There are better places to see before your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You really are not missing much bypassing Stonehenge. Been there twice and the last time the stones were blocked off by rope. You cannot get close anymore. Probably because of people chipping away at the stones. And it is out in the middle of nowhere. There are better places to see before your cruise.

You sound like a local :D

As a kid I lived about 3 miles from the Stones, used to play amongst them. I still live within about 20 miles

I can't see what all the fuss is about, nor can my friends, it's just some old stones.

But the place draws millions of overseas visitors. And most aren't disappointed when they've been !! Same with Avebury Ring

For me, mebbe familiarity breeds contempt.

For you, mebbe you can't get your head around its history.

Or mebbe neither of us have got a soul. ;)

I've decided we wouldn't be going to Stonehenge on sailing day. We arrive in Heathrow on Friday, and our cruise is sailing away from Southampton on Saturday. We have a hotel booked for the night in Southampton. So we have the whole day to play! :cool: I'd rather do it that day, than risk running late on sailaway day.

You disembark on a Saturday.

By car it depends where you plan to be that night.

Simplest, and easiest to time, is to drive direct to Stonehenge from the car hire depot, using the main roads - M3, A34, A303 because that's quicker and simpler than the more direct route via Salisbury

Theoretically a 45 minute drive, but allow up to 90 minutes at that time of day. So if you're going to collect the car at 8.30, book a 9.30 to 10.00 slot.

Then after Stonehenge, head to Salisbury. That makes perfect sense if you're staying the night in the Southampton area.

If you're heading north, or to somewhere like Heathrow or Bath, Stonehenge before Salisbury adds about 16 miles to your journey because you double-back.

That can still make sense, it's not a massive additional mileage. Or if you take the more logical route of Salisbury first, allow an hour to Salisbury at that time of day, allow 1.5 to 2 hours in Salisbury, and 30 minutes maximum from there to Stonehenge. So if you collect the car at 8.30 book an 11.30 to noon, or noon to 12.30, slot and depart Salisbury at least 30 minutes before the end of your booked slot. Because its a summer Saturday, it's quite important not to miss your timed slot.

This map shows a round-trip Southampton to Stonehenge to Salisbury to Southampton.

If you choose Salisbury to Stonehenge first, reverse the Stonehenge to Salisbury to Southampton part and continue elsewhere from Stonehenge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Southampton/Stonehenge+Visitor+Centre/Salisbury/Southampton/@51.0607092,-1.7165403,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x48738957be152909:0xa78c5a6a4cda71f0!2m2!1d-1.4043509!2d50.9097004!1m5!1m1!1s0x4873e7c7729d788f:0x46df7c4042e0ca30!2m2!1d-1.858928!2d51.184451!1m5!1m1!1s0x48738c5536009bb7:0xda3e080f25eaa06!2m2!1d-1.794472!2d51.068785!1m5!1m1!1s0x48738957be152909:0xa78c5a6a4cda71f0!2m2!1d-1.4043509!2d50.9097004!3e0

kunnocat's suggestion of the International Friends coach tour-transfer from a Heathrow hotel to the ship via Stonehenge has its merits

But it's quite expensive and because of the need to register at the ship in good time it doesn't include Salisbury although it does allow a very respectable 90+ minutes at Stonehenge. And it avoids the need to figure timing for Stonehenge tickets - they're included in the fare & are valid for immediate entry regardless of the time the coach arrives there.

For whatever reason, at £84 per person (including Stonehenge admission) it's £5 cheaper if you book via

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_from_london_shared_bus.html

Edit.

Ooops, mixed up Joey with ilove.:rolleyes:

Each of you glean what you can

• 10 months later...

This is the best thread EVER for useful information! Thank you so much for your advice.

We are arriving on a Tuesday 28AUG Early Morning into LHR after a Trans-Atlantic flight. Our cruise departs Southampton on Thursday, 30AUG. I would very much like to see Stonehenge, and the Salisbury Cathedral... and other sights in that general area that you might recommend.

We could book our hotel in Southampton or Salisbury for Tuesday and Wednesday night. Is it better to push through Tuesday and stay in Southampton, taking a train or bus back to Salisbury on Wednesday? Or get as far as Salisbury and putter around, perhaps even seeing some sight(s) on Tuesday afternoon, then making our way to the ship on Thursday morning. (I am thinking it doesn't make sense to do two different hotels in two cities.)

Which city for accommodation is the best use of our time? Which hotels would be most practical? I don't mind taking trains or buses the occasional taxi cab, or the HoHo... but I prefer not to drive if possible.

Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

PS: We are open to any other suggestions anyone might like to propose.

This is the best thread EVER for useful information! Thank you so much for your advice.

We are arriving on a Tuesday 28AUG Early Morning into LHR after a Trans-Atlantic flight. Our cruise departs Southampton on Thursday, 30AUG. I would very much like to see Stonehenge, and the Salisbury Cathedral... and other sights in that general area that you might recommend.

We could book our hotel in Southampton or Salisbury for Tuesday and Wednesday night. Is it better to push through Tuesday and stay in Southampton, taking a train or bus back to Salisbury on Wednesday? Or get as far as Salisbury and putter around, perhaps even seeing some sight(s) on Tuesday afternoon, then making our way to the ship on Thursday morning. (I am thinking it doesn't make sense to do two different hotels in two cities.)

Which city for accommodation is the best use of our time? Which hotels would be most practical? I don't mind taking trains or buses the occasional taxi cab, or the HoHo... but I prefer not to drive if possible.

Thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions.

PS: We are open to any other suggestions anyone might like to propose.

My opinion is that you shuld just book with International Friends on London Toolkit, as posted above. here is a specific link:

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/white/londontk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

It may be a little expensive but they will take you from LHR, then Stonehenge, then to Southampton (just check if they do hotel drop offs the night before). Seems like the easiest and most efficient way to see what you want and end up at your hotel.

To be fair, i think this assumes you are going to the cruise port that day. You might check with them and see if they will drop at your hotel. If not, maybe you can just get off the bus at the cruise port, grab your bags and take a cab to your hotel? Just don't put your ship luggage tags on your bags :D:D

Good luck

ML

My opinion is that you shuld just book with International Friends on London Toolkit, as posted above. here is a specific link:

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/white/londontk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

It may be a little expensive but they will take you from LHR, then Stonehenge, then to Southampton (just check if they do hotel drop offs the night before). Seems like the easiest and most efficient way to see what you want and end up at your hotel.

To be fair, i think this assumes you are going to the cruise port that day. You might check with them and see if they will drop at your hotel. If not, maybe you can just get off the bus at the cruise port, grab your bags and take a cab to your hotel? Just don't put your ship luggage tags on your bags :D:D

Good luck

ML

This tour is designed specifically for transfers to ships on day of departure and only runs on certain days. Unlikely to be the most suitable, I would think. Even if it is running, it gets to Southampton early afternoon, which is neither one thing or the other for non- departure days.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk/white/londontk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

Good luck

ML

This tour is designed specifically for transfers to ships on day of departure and only runs on certain days. Unlikely to be the most suitable, I would think. Even if it is running, it gets to Southampton early afternoon, which is neither one thing or the other for non- departure days.

Yes, as per my feathered friend's post, that tour-transfer is geared to folk sailing same-day and the consequent early arrival time (around 1.30pm) at Southampton will waste a lot of your time.

And using it depends on your flight arriving on time & the time taken for airport formalities, both of which are infinitely variable - if you are delayed & you miss the bus, all you can do with your expensive tour-transfer tickets is to put them in the trash.

For that reason they don't encourage folk to use their tour-transfer for same-day flights - the bus only picks up from Heathrow hotels, not airport terminals. So that will add to your complications, timescale & costs.

It's also relatively poor value from LHR compared to a start from a central London hotel.

So it's best to put this option way down at the bottom of the list.

Theoretically if you decide to go down that road, the bus runs most days & by checking the port's cruise departures you can book as if you were on a ship sailing that day.

I can't imagine the bus going via a Southampton hotel - you'd be taken to that day's ship & then jump in a taxi for a short hop to any city centre hotel. You'd also have to tell the bus driver so that he can stow your luggage separately and give it back to you before the cruise terminal porters unload it with the rest of the luggage - otherwise you might go on your cruise to the Baltic whilst your luggage enjoys a different cruise to the Norwegian fjords :D

Nice try, NoWhiners. ;)

But no cigar.

I had looked over that International Friends Transfer myself, but it does seem to have limitations. We are arriving at about 7 AM into Heathrow, so it doesn't make sense to spend that first valuable day at an airport hotel if that's the pickup - even if we didn't have the potential misdirection of the luggage.

I think it will be less stressful to book a hotel in Southampton (making a bus or private transfer from the airport,) then do any sight seeing from that jump off point. On the day of the cruise we'll be that much closer and an easy taxi to the port.

Second guessing myself - would it be more picturesque to stay in Salisbury? How difficult would a transfer to the port be on the day of embarkation? Would it be best to take a train?

Or you can stay in Salisbury (we are at the Red Lion Best Western) and visit the cathedral and markets (if it is market day). We plan to take the HOHO bus to Stonehenge and Old Sarum. Smith's is providing our transportation.

Second guessing myself - would it be more picturesque to stay in Salisbury? How difficult would a transfer to the port be on the day of embarkation? Would it be best to take a train?

A Salisbury base has its pros compared to a Southampton hotel, but there also a few caveats.

Pros....

- yes, a much more picturesque, historic, and laid-back city. Reminds me of much of England 30/40/50 years ago. I lived in a village near Stonehenge & went to big-boys' school in Salisbury - it's hardly changed since then, whereas Southampton, like much of England, is so much bigger, more modern and more crowded.

- Salisbury cathedral is magnificent and in a peaceful walled Close (my school was in the Close, under the shadow of the spire). On display in the cathedral is an original Magna Carta (our "Bill of Rights") signed by the despised King John in 1215, and the world's (reputedly) oldest working clock dating back to the 14th Century.

- Stonehenge and Old Sarum hill-fort are easily accessible by ho-ho from city centre or rail station. http://www.thestonehengetour.info/the-stonehenge-tour

- Bath (station name is Bath Spa) is only an hour away by direct train, service hourly or better, about £20 for a round-trip ticket..

- Transfer to Southampton on cruise day by train is easy - direct service to Southampton Central station every half hour (probably fewer on sundays), journey time about 40 minutes, fare about £10 http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Caveats...

- for direct public transport from Heathrow the only sensible option is by Nat Express coach, and there are only a few coaches each day, so check the times.https://www.nationalexpress.com/en Cost / journey times for a private transfer will be about the same as for Southampton but you could do with a recommendation or two for Salisbury-based car services (sorry, can't help)

- without personal transport you need a hotel in the city centre, but there are far fewer than in Southampton city centre. I don't know of any budget hotels in the centre but the selection of traditional hotels / coaching inns is actually much better than Southampton and no more expensive.

- nowhere near as wide a selection of restaurants and shops, especially at the budget end. But there's enough choice for your purposes.

A perfectly viable alternative to a Southampton base. :)

WOW...this info is AMAZING!!!! Thank you very much, John!!! Now to decide which way is easiest. :confused:

I followed JBs advice regarding Stonehenge and Salisbury on a cruise out of Southampton and I would recommend his 1st choice.

If you can get the private transfer to Southampton early, and check in you’ll have plenty of time for Stonehenge and Salisbury. Getting to Salisbury by train is easy and the HOHO bus is clearly marked just outside the station to your left. We had plenty of time to do the 3 stops of the bus. Stonehenge, old Sarum, and the magna carta at Salisbury before catching the 7:30ish train back to Southampton.

Or you can stay in Salisbury (we are at the Red Lion Best Western) and visit the cathedral and markets (if it is market day). We plan to take the HOHO bus to Stonehenge and Old Sarum. Smith's is providing our transportation.

Funny! I was just looking at the Red Lion not a moment ago.

• How did you like it's location for getting around, (train station, HoHo, restaurants, etc.)
  • Was it good value for the money?
  • Finally - Smith's is taking you there? and is Smith's taking you to the port when you embark? or are you finding your own way by train?

Thanks - Maddle