Miracle out of New York

Btyson

We have been looking into possibly taking Carnival Miracle out of New York. We don't know much about this port. Do you recommend it? What is the closest airport to the cruise terminal? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

We are sailing from NYC next year -- and I've been told, sailing from NYC is a must at some point in your life.

There are 3 major airports in the NYC area. From Carnival's FAQ's:

15 miles from Newark International Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

15 miles from LaGuardia Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

20 miles from JFK International Airport; travel time is approximately 60 minutes.

We are sailing from NYC next year -- and I've been told, sailing from NYC is a must at some point in your life.

15 miles from Newark International Airport; travel time is approximately 45 minutes.

20 miles from JFK International Airport; travel time is approximately 60 minutes.

Thanks for the info. We've always wanted to go to New York. It would be a first for us. We are from a very rural area of Arkansas. We love cruising and I've been thinking it would be a great way to combine the two vacations. The cruises are very competitively priced for the time frame we are thinking of going. Thanks again, I'm definitely going to check more into it.

What sail date are you considering? You'd have to fly in the day before, so hotel prices are a consideration. I'd post back on the East Coast Departures board with as many details as possible about dates and budget, particularly if the airline prices are close. For example, we don't recommend staying at any of the JFK airport hotels. LaGuardia does have some hotels that we recommend, but Newark has the most hotel choices. JFK to Manhattan cab is a fixed rate of $45 + tolls + tip. LGA is about $35. Newark to Manhattan bus or train is $25-30 + cab in Manhattan. Car service Newark to Manhattan would be in the $80 range. But Manhattan hotels can be super expensive ($200+++)

What sail date are you considering? You'd have to fly in the day before, so hotel prices are a consideration. I'd post back on the East Coast Departures board with as many details as possible about dates and budget, particularly if the airline prices are close. For example, we don't recommend staying at any of the JFK airport hotels. LaGuardia does have some hotels that we recommend, but Newark has the most hotel choices. JFK to Manhattan cab is a fixed rate of $45 + tolls + tip. LGA is about $35. Newark to Manhattan bus or train is $25-30 + cab in Manhattan. Car service Newark to Manhattan would be in the $80 range. But Manhattan hotels can be super expensive ($200+++)

We are considering the Dec. 8 2012 departure. The price right now for balcony is only $579. Fairly reasonable for an 8 day cruise, but I know flight, hotel, and transportation will definitely add to my cost. And I know nothing about cruising out of NY so I am trying to do my homework. Thanks for the great info. I will for sure check out the East Coast Departures board.

I'd try to budget for a midtown hotel - it will be Christmas season and you can see the tree at Rockefeller Plaza and all the 5th Ave stores decorated for Christmas - IMO an opportunity not to be missed if you've never been to NYC. Hotwire might have some deals for you starting in the spring - almost any 3*+ hotel in midtown would be worth considering.

Excellent advice. Also, since you noted that you were from a rural area, it will be much easier for you since you are not used to taking crowded public transportation. Walking is the way to go! My sister-in-law is from Tennessee, and she loves Manhattan, she walks everywhere. It is not really far, mileage wise. You two look like to be in good shape, so get those walking shoes ready. :-) You will have the time of your life between NYC and the cruise.

I'd try to budget for a midtown hotel - it will be Christmas season and you can see the tree at Rockefeller Plaza and all the 5th Ave stores decorated for Christmas - IMO an opportunity not to be missed if you've never been to NYC. Hotwire might have some deals for you starting in the spring - almost any 3*+ hotel in midtown would be worth considering.

Excellent advice. Also, since you noted that you were from a rural area, it will be much easier for you since you are not used to taking crowded public transportation. Walking is the way to go! My sister-in-law is from Tennessee, and she loves Manhattan, she walks everywhere. It is not really far, mileage wise. You two look like to be in good shape, so get those walking shoes ready. :-) You will have the time of your life between NYC and the cruise.

Thanks for the great advice! I was a little hesitant about booking out of NYC, but now I am thinking it's a must. Especially at Christmas time. Thanks again!

If you haven't been to NYC, especially during the Christmas holiday period, you HAVE to include a few days in the city before or after your cruise. Keep in mind that no hotel is close to everything, but bus, taxi and subway can bring you to or near just about anything! Also Gray Line offers a HOHO and just walking the streets of NYC is a "tour" worth taking in itself! Stay in Manhattan, with a lesser priced hotel in NJ, you are going to waste too much time and money coming and going.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this? Do you get great views of the city? We are sailing out of New York in May. We will be driving up from PA so it was a great option for us.

To the original poster, I think it's a great idea to combine two trips in one! NYC is a wonderful city to visit. Hotels can be really pricey, but if you can stay a few extra days I think you would love it!

Why is this? Do you get great views of the city? We are sailing out of New York in May. We will be driving up from PA so it was a great option for us.

To the original poster, I think it's a great idea to combine two trips in one! NYC is a wonderful city to visit. Hotels can be really pricey, but if you can stay a few extra days I think you would love it!

There is nothing like the views of the Manhattan skyline from the port side and seeing the Statue of Liberty close up from the starboard side as you're cruising down the Hudson River from the pier.

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, about how long after sailaway do you pass the Statue of Liberty? I once waited to pass under the bridge leading out of Tampa and it took over two hours, and I'd like to plan better for my NYC departure. :D

As many times as I've done it, I've never actually timed it, but I'd estimate it at no more than a half hour; indeed, it's probably closer to 20 minutes. I always stay on deck until the ship drops off the pilot in the vicinity of the former Ambrose Light, 40.46N, 73.83W, another half hour or so after we pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

As many times as I've done it, I've never actually timed it, but I'd estimate it at no more than a half hour; indeed, it's probably closer to 20 minutes. I always stay on deck until the ship drops off the pilot in the vicinity of the former Ambrose Light, 40.46N, 73.83W, another half hour or so after we pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Excellent - thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have just clicked on to this topic and I'm so glad, as we are sailing out of NY on Emerald 26th Sept, we have a starboard cabin aft, so I'm so pleased I chose that side as at the time didn't know which side we would be passing the Statue of Liberty, we are staying in NY prior to the cruise for 3 nights I'm so excited now and looking for all tips and info I can get. :))

Regards Melissa

I have just clicked on to this topic and I'm so glad, as we are sailing out of NY on Emerald 26th Sept, we have a starboard cabin aft, so I'm so pleased I chose that side as at the time didn't know which side we would be passing the Statue of Liberty, we are staying in NY prior to the cruise for 3 nights I'm so excited now and looking for all tips and info I can get. :))

Regards Melissa

Your ship leaves from the Brooklyn pier, not Manhattan, so you actually won't be sailing directly past the Statue of Liberty, but your pier is close to the statute and you'll still be able to see it.

Archived