Recommended Areas to Stay in Rome

lifeasme123

We are looking at spending 6 days in Rome prior to our cruise. Things we plan to do:

1. Papal Audience

2. Angelus

3. Vatican tour

4. Overnight trip ton San Giovanni Rotondo

5. Coliseum, Pantheon.

6. Not sure how far tower of Pisa is from Rome. This is not high our list.

7. Still working on things of interests/to do

The question is there a particular area of Rome I should look into finding accommodations? Areas to avoid?

TIA

Well, the generally recommended and most central area roughly includes the area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori. The Pantheon is more or less ground zero. This area is both charming and safe, with lots of the main sights in walking distance and lots of restaurants and liveliness in the evenings.

However, you have to consider a lot of variables. I think you're traveling with a fairly large group, and you'll be in Rome a while -- are you looking at apartments?

Also, several of your activities focus on the Vatican, do you want to be nearer there, even though it is less central (and perhaps less fun in the evenings)?

And/or if you are planning a daytrip, are you going by train? If so, AND if you are planning to go to the port by train, you may want to be closer to the central train station, Termini. It's not the prettiest area but it's one of the most reasonable in terms of cost and has good metro and bus connections to the main sights.

Edited by cruisemom42

We stayed in the Monti area (Hotel Grifo), which was about a 10min walk to everything. The only time we took the metro train was to the Vatican, and even then we walked back (it was a long walk, but lots to see). It was perfect because it was on a side street, so nice and quite, good breakfast included and it was close to get to Termini Station.

I quite like the area between Termini station & the road -Via ****onale. Lots of great places to eat & shopping, heaps of transport options within a few mins walk & very safe. not to mention many sites like Trevi are also less than 10 mins walk away.

Well, the generally recommended and most central area roughly includes the area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori. The Pantheon is more or less ground zero. This area is both charming and safe, with lots of the main sights in walking distance and lots of restaurants and liveliness in the evenings.

However, you have to consider a lot of variables. I think you're traveling with a fairly large group, and you'll be in Rome a while -- are you looking at apartments?

Also, several of your activities focus on the Vatican, do you want to be nearer there, even though it is less central (and perhaps less fun in the evenings)?

And/or if you are planning a daytrip, are you going by train? If so, AND if you are planning to go to the port by train, you may want to be closer to the central train station, Termini. It's not the prettiest area but it's one of the most reasonable in terms of cost and has good metro and bus connections to the main sights.

We will be staying in Rome for a week before the cruise. Yes our group is fairly large so I would prefer apartments. But with it being international, I need to do research on this, esp if this is a safe route. I welcome any feedback on this.

The apts I narrowed down to are in the "Prati" area. I have NO idea how central that is.

I will take my mom overnight (via train) to San Giovanni Rotondo to visit Padre Pio shrine. The rest of the family will remain in Rome.

We will be staying in Rome for a week before the cruise. Yes our group is fairly large so I would prefer apartments. But with it being international, I need to do research on this, esp if this is a safe route. I welcome any feedback on this.

The apts I narrowed down to are in the "Prati" area. I have NO idea how central that is.

I will take my mom overnight (via train) to San Giovanni Rotondo to visit Padre Pio shrine. The rest of the family will remain in Rome.

The Prati area is not too far from the Vatican, but not exactly central for other sightseeing in Rome. Also tends to be fairly quiet at night, though some people like it because you get more of a sense of a non-tourist neighborhood. Me, I prefer to be more central.

Prati should be safe. There will be restaurants for dinner but fewer choices. Be sure you look on a map before committing to an apartment -- owners often "stretch" the truth a little about the location. (For example, someone may say their apartment is "only steps" from Trevi Fountain -- but they don't tell you how many steps....)

For example, someone may say their apartment is "only steps" from Trevi Fountain -- but they don't tell you how many steps....)

Thanks for the laugh! Sadly there is a lot of truth to it.

What is considered central? Be closer to Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, River Tiber? I looked at google map...honestly i have no idea what I am looking at. Everything seems to be close.

The Vatican is only 1-2 days of my trip...so that makes sense to stay more central and that the train for those 2 days.

Thanks for the laugh! Sadly there is a lot of truth to it.

What is considered central? Be closer to Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, River Tiber? I looked at google map...honestly i have no idea what I am looking at. Everything seems to be close.

The Vatican is only 1-2 days of my trip...so that makes sense to stay more central and that the train for those 2 days.

Look up on google maps where Hotel Grifo is, whether you are interested in staying there or not this will give you an idea of the area we were in and how close it is to everything. We loved it and would go there again.

Look up on google maps where Hotel Grifo is, whether you are interested in staying there or not this will give you an idea of the area we were in and how close it is to everything. We loved it and would go there again.

We'll be there in two and a half weeks, thanks for the endorsement! I will report back when I get home in October.

I've stayed in that area twice (two different hotels)and it's nice, but for me it's a little further from my favorite restaurants than I like to be at night. I prefer being closer to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona -- to my mind, a bit more central.

I've stayed in that area twice (two different hotels)and it's nice, but for me it's a little further from my favorite restaurants than I like to be at night. I prefer being closer to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona -- to my mind, a bit more central.

Staying near Pantheon- Albergo Santa Chiara, next May/June pre-cruise for 4 nights- would be delighted if you could recommend a few restaurants for my husband, daughter and I to try. Thanks a lot, you have been such a help in our planning-

Cruisemom42 (or anyone else who knows),

For the FCO flat rate to a Rome hotel, would one near Termini qualify as being in "central" Rome?

Is the flat rate still 48 Euros?

Hope I haven't erred in picking a hotel (Hotel Canada) near Termini - the more I read up on the area, the more I hear words like "questionable" and "seedy."

Too late now - we're leaving in a few weeks and most other options are already booked or expensive.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Marion

Staying near Pantheon- Albergo Santa Chiara, next May/June pre-cruise for 4 nights- would be delighted if you could recommend a few restaurants for my husband, daughter and I to try. Thanks a lot, you have been such a help in our planning-

OK. I'll give my favorite for my first night in Rome: Armando al Pantheon. Highly rated. Very small restaurant, maybe 200 yards from the front of the Pantheon to the right (facing the Pantheon). Classic Roman menu. I always feel welcome there as a solo woman. It gets a good mix of locals, families, travelers. I love to hear the nightly specials, especially the antipasti of the night. Good Roman torta or ricotta with strawberry jam torta for dessert! Now, if you go there, be sure to be up to trying the menu and do NOT expect spaghetti and meatballs ;) I don't eat red meat, so I will substitute the second course (the "secundi") with a side of vegetable (if they have sautéed chicory or artichokes, I grab that!) to go with my pasta course and that always saves room for the dessert. I've had great gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce on a Thursday night and I had an excellent off-the-menu pasta with small wild strawberries. The cacio e pepe is yummy, as is the Amatriciana.

They have a very nice website, armandoalpantheon.it. You may make reservations on the site - I've always done it and have never been messed up.

A nice walk from the Pantheon area to Campo di Fiore gives some nice restaurants, too. Emma Pizzeria is a modern restaurant that has a great menu and amazing wood-fired personal-size pizzas. It is owned by the Roscioli family (of Roscioli Salumeria (also a good restaurant) and Forno Roscioli), makers of Rome's best bread products. Made the top of my list when they had Brunello by the glass to go with my bufalo margherita pizza! The price points here are pretty darn reasonable for a popular restaurant. It also has a website, emmapizzeria.com. I made my reservation through my hotel concierge for this one. AND, it is a block from a good gelateria, Carapina.

I like Roscioli, but some do not. They complain abut the surly service, but I had none of that. My server was nice and very willing to explain the menu and to recommend items. I had wanted the burrata and semi-dried tomatoes, but it is a huge portion. My server offered to make me a plate of their fresh-made that afternoon bufalo mozzarella and the tomatoes - it was one of the best antipasti I've ever had! And, just the right amount for an appetizer. I went there specifically for their pasta Amatriciana and it did not disappoint. Lovely pieces of guanciale, just enough sauce to color the pasta, Pecorino cheese on top. The server had asked me about what type of wine I liked - not like Cab, pino, but the tastes and balance. He bought out a totally surprising Amarone for me to try and I loved it. Now, I don't normally eat red meat, but I heard good things about their meatballs. So, I took a chance and ordered -oh my. They make their meatballs with several different cuts and the spices were sooo good. AND it came with little blocks of polenta. Worth my diversion!!! I was too full for any dessert, but my server asked if I'd like a glass of dessert wine - YES - and he brought a nice sipping wine and a plate of cookies. I waddled back to the taxi rank near the Pantheon so I could walk off some of that dinner!!! They have a website, salumeriaroscioli.com. You can make your reservation from the website, but I had my hotel concierge make (and reconfirm - I heard this is sometimes an issue) the ressie for me.

If you are walking around the Via Condotti area and feel a need to nosh, a totally different place is Ginger. It is a Spanish chain apparently. But, it is fresh juices, salads, healthy entrees, panini, smoothies. I loved the entree-sized salads. At lunch, they have a special - the one day it was a chicory soufflé with a quinoa salad. It is a nice break from the usual food and love it when I'm craving my salads and grains! It's noisy and crowded, but I still loved it. At lunch, lots of business people were there. It's first come, first serve. It has a website, ginger.roma.it.

Enough for now.

For the FCO flat rate to a Rome hotel, would one near Termini qualify as being in "central" Rome?

Hope I haven't erred in picking a hotel (Hotel Canada) near Termini - the more I read up on the area, the more I hear words like "questionable" and "seedy."

Too late now - we're leaving in a few weeks and most other options are already booked or expensive.

Marion

The link here will take you to a map that shows the area covered by the 48 euro flat fee. It's basically considered the area inside the old Aurelian walls of the city.

http://www.eyesofrome.com/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSI1MjAxMi8wOC8xMi8xOF8wOV8wNF8xNjhfbWFwcGFfTXVyYV9BdXJlbGlhbmUuanBnBjoGRUZbBzoGZToIanBn.jpg

The area where Hotel Canada is located looks as if it is JUST inside the covered area. I hope you don't get an argument from the taxi driver. You may want to bring a blown up copy of the map with you and make sure you both agree before getting in the car.

Like many other cities, the area around Rome's main railroad station isn't the prettiest. But I wouldn't say it is "questionable". As a woman traveling alone, I do not feel unsafe walking around the area at night, although I would probably stick to the main, well-lighted streets. I will stay near Termini very occasionally -- like when I am only passing through Rome enroute to somewhere else and am traveling by train. It's definitely not my favorite area as it's somewhat charmless. But I don't think it's unsafe.

I don't generally recommend restaurants, at least not those that still have a bit of undiscovered charm. Selfish of me, but there you are...

I do agree with slidergirl's recommendation of Armando al Pantheon, and it couldn't be closer to where you're staying.

I'll recommend one more nearby that I just tried on my last visit in June: L'Angoletto, also very near the Pantheon and has a nice area for outside dining if you are there in good weather.

If you're in the vicinity at lunchtime, you can get great salads (in addition to all the usual Italian basics) at a restaurant that sits across from the back-right side of the Pantheon called Miscellanea. It's got a lot of local customers at lunchtime. Don't get sucked into the touristy strawberry liqueur.

OK. I'll give my favorite for my first night in Rome: Armando al Pantheon. Highly rated. Very small restaurant, maybe 200 yards from the front of the Pantheon to the right (facing the Pantheon). Classic Roman menu. I always feel welcome there as a solo woman. It gets a good mix of locals, families, travelers. I love to hear the nightly specials, especially the antipasti of the night. Good Roman torta or ricotta with strawberry jam torta for dessert! Now, if you go there, be sure to be up to trying the menu and do NOT expect spaghetti and meatballs ;) I don't eat red meat, so I will substitute the second course (the "secundi") with a side of vegetable (if they have sautéed chicory or artichokes, I grab that!) to go with my pasta course and that always saves room for the dessert. I've had great gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce on a Thursday night and I had an excellent off-the-menu pasta with small wild strawberries. The cacio e pepe is yummy, as is the Amatriciana.

They have a very nice website, armandoalpantheon.it. You may make reservations on the site - I've always done it and have never been messed up.

A nice walk from the Pantheon area to Campo di Fiore gives some nice restaurants, too. Emma Pizzeria is a modern restaurant that has a great menu and amazing wood-fired personal-size pizzas. It is owned by the Roscioli family (of Roscioli Salumeria (also a good restaurant) and Forno Roscioli), makers of Rome's best bread products. Made the top of my list when they had Brunello by the glass to go with my bufalo margherita pizza! The price points here are pretty darn reasonable for a popular restaurant. It also has a website, emmapizzeria.com. I made my reservation through my hotel concierge for this one. AND, it is a block from a good gelateria, Carapina.

I like Roscioli, but some do not. They complain abut the surly service, but I had none of that. My server was nice and very willing to explain the menu and to recommend items. I had wanted the burrata and semi-dried tomatoes, but it is a huge portion. My server offered to make me a plate of their fresh-made that afternoon bufalo mozzarella and the tomatoes - it was one of the best antipasti I've ever had! And, just the right amount for an appetizer. I went there specifically for their pasta Amatriciana and it did not disappoint. Lovely pieces of guanciale, just enough sauce to color the pasta, Pecorino cheese on top. The server had asked me about what type of wine I liked - not like Cab, pino, but the tastes and balance. He bought out a totally surprising Amarone for me to try and I loved it. Now, I don't normally eat red meat, but I heard good things about their meatballs. So, I took a chance and ordered -oh my. They make their meatballs with several different cuts and the spices were sooo good. AND it came with little blocks of polenta. Worth my diversion!!! I was too full for any dessert, but my server asked if I'd like a glass of dessert wine - YES - and he brought a nice sipping wine and a plate of cookies. I waddled back to the taxi rank near the Pantheon so I could walk off some of that dinner!!! They have a website, salumeriaroscioli.com. You can make your reservation from the website, but I had my hotel concierge make (and reconfirm - I heard this is sometimes an issue) the ressie for me.

If you are walking around the Via Condotti area and feel a need to nosh, a totally different place is Ginger. It is a Spanish chain apparently. But, it is fresh juices, salads, healthy entrees, panini, smoothies. I loved the entree-sized salads. At lunch, they have a special - the one day it was a chicory soufflé with a quinoa salad. It is a nice break from the usual food and love it when I'm craving my salads and grains! It's noisy and crowded, but I still loved it. At lunch, lots of business people were there. It's first come, first serve. It has a website, ginger.roma.it.

Enough for now.

Thank you so much slidergirl- printing and filing as we speak!

I don't generally recommend restaurants, at least not those that still have a bit of undiscovered charm. Selfish of me, but there you are...

I do agree with slidergirl's recommendation of Armando al Pantheon, and it couldn't be closer to where you're staying.

I'll recommend one more nearby that I just tried on my last visit in June: L'Angoletto, also very near the Pantheon and has a nice area for outside dining if you are there in good weather.

If you're in the vicinity at lunchtime, you can get great salads (in addition to all the usual Italian basics) at a restaurant that sits across from the back-right side of the Pantheon called Miscellanea. It's got a lot of local customers at lunchtime. Don't get sucked into the touristy strawberry liqueur.

Thanks so much cruisemom42! I'll keep watching your posts .... just in case you do happen to share more in the coming months .... : )

We just returned and rented an apartment 2 blocks from the Pantheon (give or take, knowing how crazy the blocks are in Rome) - it was maybe a 5 minute walk. The area was called Sant Eustache. The location was ideal - close to everything, and we never felt unsafe as lots of people out and about. We did stay across the street from one of the top nightclubs in Rome, which is great if that is your thing, not so great at 2 in the morning as the revellers disperse:eek:

We just returned and rented an apartment 2 blocks from the Pantheon (give or take, knowing how crazy the blocks are in Rome) - it was maybe a 5 minute walk. The area was called Sant Eustache. The location was ideal - close to everything, and we never felt unsafe as lots of people out and about. We did stay across the street from one of the top nightclubs in Rome, which is great if that is your thing, not so great at 2 in the morning as the revellers disperse:eek:

How did you find the apt? I'm lookign for something other than VRBO or AirBnB

Marion

The hotel Canada is nice and right around it okay but I did not like the walk to termini. I found it seedy near termini. There is a bus that stops near the hotel that can take you over by campo di Fiori, ask at the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I narrowed down the apartments to three. The requirements were washer and elevator. Any feedback on the the location for these would be great and appreciated! The info in the parenthesis are the landmarks I found on google map.

1. Vicolo Sugarelli and Via del Bianchi Vecchi (one block from Palazzo Sacchetti)

2. Via Giovanni Giraud and Via del Bianci Nuovi (next to Piazza dell Orologio)

3. Via dei Coronari and Vicolo de Montevecchio (next to Piazza Montevecchio)

I realize everything is in walking distance, but that is all relative. Looking for an area we aren't backtracking a lot (if possible). We will be there 5 days/6 nights in Rome. We would like to spend it as follow:

2 days at the Vatican

1 day (need to get to Termini Station for a day trip)

1 day Coloseum (night tour) and Pantheon, Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain

Navona & Campo del Fiori - exploring through multiple days

and may Travestere