Do it yourself Beach Choices

BeeSkip

Any recommendations for a beach day in Bermuda? A do it yourself excursion? The ship docks in Navy Yard and we would like to take the water taxi to Hamilton and then onward to a beach. Can't wait to get your expert suggestions...Thanks

Bee

Edited by BeeSkip

If you want to go to swim, Elbow Beach or Horseshoe Bay. Both have beautiful pink sand beaches. It's easy to do via public transportation, the bus stops at both. Be prepared to walk a ways to the beach unless you pay for the more expensive private shuttle or taxis. Horseshoe Bay is absolutely stunning, but very crowded. If snorkelling is your thing then try Tobacco Bay. You can actually take the Ferry to Hamilton and catch the #7 bus to either Elbow or Horseshoe.

Edited by fshstck

I would recommend Horseshoe Bay Beach which is the most popular and beautiful beach in Bermuda. You would get there by taking the bus (route #7) or a shuttle bus or a taxi. Travel time would be 20-30 minutes based on mode of travel.

You would take the ferry (not water taxi) to Hamilton if you wanted to see Hamilton; there are no beaches in Hamilton.

SBtS

You have not stated how long you are in Bermuda for. Is it overnight or for a few hours. If it is for a few hours, I would not attempt both Hamilton and a beach on the same day. Skip Hamilton this time and go to Horseshoe Bay. You won't be sorry. It is one of the most famous and beautiful beaches in the world.

Then come back to the port and spend time there. There is plenty to do in port. Shops, bars, museums, glass blowing, rum cake demo's. swim with the dolphins, snorkel beach..on and on. There is a free hop on hop off tram, to take you back and forth on this strip.

Hamilton is very nice, but it is what it is. On Ferry St. there are tons of very expensive shops and restaurants...that is about it. The ferry ride there is nice for a photo op... This is all just my opinion as I have been to Bermuda at least 4 times. As I stated before, make Horseshoe your first priority. If you ever go back to Bermuda, go to Hamilton and St. George. (and you WILL return). Lol.

Any recommendations for a beach day in Bermuda? A do it yourself excursion? The ship docks in Navy Yard and we would like to take the water taxi to Hamilton and then onward to a beach. Can't wait to get your expert suggestions...Thanks

Bee

We took the $7 pp shuttle to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Just walk off the ship and the vans are waiting, they leave as they fill up. There were many shuttles waiting at the beach when we were ready to go back, was very simple. Vans are very clean and have a/c. Ours dropped us off close to Anthem, someone asked the driver if he would also stop closer to Dawn and he said no problem.

what about for DIY beach people who just want to walk around the beach a bit and not spend hours sitting there. just curious if recommendations are the same.

i dont have a 3 day itinerary picked out yet but will likely visit the major towns at some point. perhaps helmet diving as well. zoo, churches, forts, bit of window shopping.

what about for DIY beach people who just want to walk around the beach a bit and not spend hours sitting there. just curious if recommendations are the same.

i dont have a 3 day itinerary picked out yet but will likely visit the major towns at some point. perhaps helmet diving as well. zoo, churches, forts, bit of window shopping.

If you are interested in walking around the beach, I would suggest walking the beach path that connects these beaches: Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Cove, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, and ends at Horseshoe Bay Beach. The the paths distance is about .6-.7 miles.

The reason to do the paths in this order is that HSB has facilities; the other beaches do not

There is a satellite photo of the paths here.

SBtS

I would recommend going to Horseshoe Bay Beach, take the mini bus parked right at the port - $7 per person each way. The beach is gorgeous!

HB is very nice but there are so many other gorgeous beaches that are less crowded. We love WLB for its beauty, and the fact that it's usually not crowded at all. We've stayed across the street and walked to all of these beaches and WLB and JC are our favorites in that section of the island, the trail is a good option for lucky. I would suggest either WLB or Elbow Beach for BeeSkip.

You can visit HB but don't miss WLB and JC...

I need restrooms and lifeguards. Horseshoe Bay fits the bill. Plus genuine pink Bermuda sand

Yes, gorgeous beach with pink sand, just like many others, but it's the busiest beach because of those amenities. Just a matter of the experience you are looking for. Fortunately those that want to enjoy a little more quiet can walk to the far end, and those that desire even less of a crowd can go to WLB and other points. That's the beauty of the south shore...