shower seat

jeanarch

We were on the Carnival Glory in an ocean suite. I asked for a shower seat. They brought it BUT ocean suites have a tub, not a walk in shower and the seat would not fit in the tub. I just had to hang onto the wall grips and hope for the best. Showering wasn't too bad but washing my hair was not easy. I need the suite for my scooter but a regular a balcony cabin may work better as far as the shower situation. I think next time I'll ask them to take the little coffee table out of the room so theres room for the scooter.

We were not able to get a modified or handicapped cabin on an upcoming cruise. Is there any possibility of requesting a shower seat for the bathroom. Any experience anyone?

It's recommended that you always state the cruise line when asking questions regarding accessibility and or equipment as that can and does often influence the answer.

For Carnival inside, oceanview and non-suite balcony cabins the shower seat will generally fit. For all other cruise lines it totally depends on the model of the seat which changes from cruise line to cruise line and even differs between ships within the same cruise line.

Important to note regardless of the cruise line : for all suites that have only a tub the cruise line does not provide a transfer bench which is what is needed for a tub . Only a standard shower seat will be provided which does not a cruise line tub.

To order a shower seat you need to contact the cruise line's Special Needs Dept. prior to the cruise. Also upon boarding don't assume that the shower seat will automatically show up in the room. Find your cabin steward and advise him/her of the request as all ship's have a limited supply on board.

Before we purchased our own travel shower/commode chair for my mother, we took several cruises where we used a pool-side deck chair (one of those plastic ones) for the shower, and it worked great. Granted we were in a wheelchair accessible cabin, but you might be able to fit one of the smaller ones into a regular stall shower. I just went up on deck and took one to the cabin when we arrived...cabin steward never said anything for the whole cruise, and I even left it there when we checked out.

Another option may be the showers adjacent to the fitness room. Generally they are larger. Perhaps you can get the shower seat and then go upstairs to shower there and take the seat with you.

• 2 weeks later...

On Carnival, a shower chair fits nicely in the showers in inside, ocean view and regular balcony cabins. We request one all the time and it works out great. Contact the special needs department on Carnival prior to your cruise to request one.

Had no problem with a shower seat fitting in the shower on Dawn Princess - but I am short and relatively slim - I think anyone much taller than I and/or of larger build might struggle to sit comfortably in the shower.

Out of interest - do any of the lines have a system for allocating accessible cabins according to actual need, or is it purely first come, first served? We could not book an accessible cabin - took the risk of a regular one, which proved to be a pretty major hassle (am a wheelchair user, though can walk short distances with support) as my chair had to be folded as tightly as possible to get through cabin doorway while I clung to either a wall or another person - this compared to TA's assurance that it should be "no problem" - yet spoke to several other passengers (some with minor, one with no mobility issues) on our cruise were in accessible cabins who were quite dismayed that they'd been given accessible cabins ahead of me, and (not that it was possible as I was sharing with two others) were even kind enough to offer to swap cabins with me.

We were not able to get a modified or handicapped cabin on an upcoming cruise. Is there any possibility of requesting a shower seat for the bathroom. Any experience anyone?

I have a standing request for one on my personaliser, sometimes it's there sometimes not, if not ask Steward, he usually finds me one.

My adult aged son uses a travel chair for walking long distances and on the ships due to the movement that he can't compensate for. We always take a regular cabin as we have found them large enough for our family of 4 and they offer plenty of room to fold up the chair and store it along the wall. I also don;'t like to take away an accessible cabin from somebody who really needs it.

On all but one of our Carnival cruises another passenger, or more, has seen us pushing my son around the ship and has offered us their accessible/modified cabin. On the last cruise it was because their son with a wheelchair had not been able to go on the cruise with them. I have politely declined every time because we have not needed it and because most of the accessible cabins will not fit a family of 4. But, it makes me wonder just how many people who do not really need those cabins are able to book them. And why don't they make accessible cabins for a family of 4?

Out of interest - do any of the lines have a system for allocating accessible cabins according to actual need, or is it purely first come, first served? We could not book an accessible cabin - took the risk of a regular one, which proved to be a pretty major hassle (am a wheelchair user, though can walk short distances with support) as my chair had to be folded as tightly as possible to get through cabin doorway while I clung to either a wall or another person - this compared to TA's assurance that it should be "no problem" - yet spoke to several other passengers (some with minor, one with no mobility issues) on our cruise were in accessible cabins who were quite dismayed that they'd been given accessible cabins ahead of me, and (not that it was possible as I was sharing with two others) were even kind enough to offer to swap cabins with me.

First mistake, asking the TA to arrange for the accessible cabin. ALWAYS talk to the cruiseline's special needs department. They have the ability to see which accessible cabins have been reserved by those not requiring them, and to move those people so that persons requiring the cabin can have it. If someone reserves an accessible cabin and doesn't need it, they are always warned that they may be moved. Sometimes, you have to get pushy about it :)

My adult aged son uses a travel chair for walking long distances and on the ships due to the movement that he can't compensate for. We always take a regular cabin as we have found them large enough for our family of 4 and they offer plenty of room to fold up the chair and store it along the wall. I also don;'t like to take away an accessible cabin from somebody who really needs it.

On all but one of our Carnival cruises another passenger, or more, has seen us pushing my son around the ship and has offered us their accessible/modified cabin. On the last cruise it was because their son with a wheelchair had not been able to go on the cruise with them. I have politely declined every time because we have not needed it and because most of the accessible cabins will not fit a family of 4. But, it makes me wonder just how many people who do not really need those cabins are able to book them. And why don't they make accessible cabins for a family of 4?

Inspiration (Fantasy class) has one HC quad cabin, U69.

Here's a link for Carnival HC cabins across the fleet.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Had no problem with a shower seat fitting in the shower on Dawn Princess - but I am short and relatively slim - I think anyone much taller than I and/or of larger build might struggle to sit comfortably in the shower.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . A few keys points to this law are as follows :

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law abled bodied people can still be booked into accessible cabins on cruises departing from a USA Port for the following reasons :

• The accessible cabin is the only cabin in the specific category available for sale.
  • After the final payment period the cruise lines can release all on sold HC cabin inventory to the general public .
  • The cruise line can assign an accessible cabin as a guarantee to anyone. Though this should occur only after the final payment period the cruise lines have been know to accidentally assign an accessible cabin as a guarantee prior to the final payment but this is more the exception than the norm.

Note that though point 2 above states that the cruise line may require a written attestation from the individual, the cruise line must walk a fine line in what is asked due to USA Federal Privacy Laws. Therefore most cruise lines either have the passenger(s) check a box as to the need of the specific features of the accessible cabin when doing on line check-in and or require the passenger(s) to complete a Special Needs Form. Though I personally have noticed an improvement in the availability of accessible cabins since this law went into effect back in 2012 , regrettably it's not fool proof as able bodied people still are known to lie about the need for such cabin in order to get the extra space without having to pay for a suite.