Crew life working on cruise ships...

guitarboy53

I'm super excited about my upcoming cruise on NCL Spirit. While browsing Spirit videos on Youtube, I came across the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67d_P3TCKPs

It's a bit long and boring at parts, but I think it provides a unique glimpse of the crew while working on board cruise ships. I believe the video was made by a crew member working for Royal Caribbean.

Back in 2005, I actually met my (now) wife on a Celebrity ship. She survived one cruise contract and the rest is history. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard from her over the years.

Anyway, check out the video if you have a half hour to kill :)

I liked this cruise member's video from the Carnival Valor. I've never been on a carnival ship but have considered the Sunshine.

Tends to give a skewed view of crew life. The entertainers (he's a pianist) only work the evenings, and have totally different work hours than 95% of the crew.

The "Cruise Confidential" books also give a somewhat skewed view, as most of the blind falling down drunk incidents have gone away since 9/11 and the implementation of various IMO mandates like STCW and ISM.

Tends to give a skewed view of crew life. The entertainers (he's a pianist) only work the evenings, and have totally different work hours than 95% of the crew.

The "Cruise Confidential" books also give a somewhat skewed view, as most of the blind falling down drunk incidents have gone away since 9/11 and the implementation of various IMO mandates like STCW and ISM.

You should write a book about working on ships, chengkp75!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

My DH and I actually met when we were both working on a cruise ship (Crystal Cruises, with mainly crew of European nationality) back in 1997. We were both working in positions as "regular" crew, working around 10 hours per day 7 days a week. Still found time for some romantic dates in the crew bar, we both left the sea for landbased jobs a few months later and have now been happily married for 15 years. :p

We started cruising as passengers in 2002, and loved to be "on the other side" so much that we have had around 20 cruise vacations since then, the majority of them on NCL. :)

On our 'Behind the Scenes' tour recently on the Jade, we were told that NCL now has a completely 'no alcohol' policy for all crew.

On our 'Behind the Scenes' tour recently on the Jade, we were told that NCL now has a completely 'no alcohol' policy for all crew.

Wow, that must have hurt revenues, since even in my time, the crew bar was one of the largest revenue centers onboard. With ISM, there is a 0.08% BAC limit for all crew (US crew had to meet USCG 0.04%), and all deck and engine watchstanders, along with the Chief Engineer, Staff Chief, Captain, Staff Captain, and Hotel Director had zero tolerance. There is a requirement that all crew be tested on a random basis at least every six months, so there were always about 40 crew per week being called to medical for testing.

You should write a book about working on ships, chengkp75!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Nah, not that good with words, besides no one would believe half of the stories. We always say that if you made a TV show about life at sea, everyone would know it was fiction. Some of this stuff, though, you just can't make up.

Wow, that must have hurt revenues, since even in my time, the crew bar was one of the largest revenue centers onboard. With ISM, there is a 0.08% BAC limit for all crew (US crew had to meet USCG 0.04%), and all deck and engine watchstanders, along with the Chief Engineer, Staff Chief, Captain, Staff Captain, and Hotel Director had zero tolerance. There is a requirement that all crew be tested on a random basis at least every six months, so there were always about 40 crew per week being called to medical for testing.

Could easily have been a bit of 'health and safety' BS for the benefit of the pax - just relaying what we were told...

When I worked on a cruise ship in the late 1990'ies, the crew bar was open every night, only exception was the night before disembarkation day. Price on all drinks were just $1,00 (same price for soda, beer, wine & liquor), and the crew parties was great fun....

When I worked on a cruise ship in the late 1990'ies, the crew bar was open every night, only exception was the night before disembarkation day. Price on all drinks were just $1,00 (same price for soda, beer, wine & liquor), and the crew parties was great fun....

In mid 2000's, it was still open nightly. As a supervisor, and given today's HR requirements to deal with harassment issues, and other ISM behavior issues, particularly with US crew, the crew bar was one area that senior staff avoided, leaving that pleasant duty to the Staff Captain. Only beer and wine were available in crew bar. Since the crew's room key/ID card operates the same as the guest sign and sail cards, every crew bar transaction is recorded, and sometimes this leads to less than "random" testing of some crew.

That is true. My nephew worked on Carnival (various ships) as a DJ and met his wife who was a dancer. They quit Carnival and then he went to work for NCL on the Dawn. That is how our family got acquainted with NCL. When he wasn't working he was allowed to hang out with us, have dinner or whatever.

I'll concede to that just like all the NCL promotional videos give a skewed view of how serene the ship is. Nothing (sans the library) is ever as empty as they portray in their videos/photographs.