Amsterdam Hotel Help Needed

Brooklyn Boy

My wife and I will be arriving in Amsterdam on the Celebrity Silhouette on May 02, 2016. Our flight out of AMS departs May 03 at 9:25 AM.

We are looking for suggestions for a moderate price hotel for the night. Is it better to stay close to the airport and not see much of Amsterdam, or is it OK to stay in the city and still be able to get to the airport 2 to 3 hours before departure.

Since the ship docks at 6:00AM on May 02, is it possible to take a city tour that will return to an airport hotel. The problem I see with this is the fact we will have all our bags with us from a 22 day cruise. Unless anyone knows of tours that would depart from, and return to the airport hotel.

Sorry for so many questions, but this is our first trip to AMS.

We are only staying in AMS for one night because of availability of frequent flyer air miles.

We are grateful for any advice you can provide.

If the Silhouette docks where it normally does downtown, 1 of the best places to stay is the Movenpick...as it is right there...no taxis to worry about....and ur very close to downtown, still like a 10 min walk, but very close. Just get up early the next day and catch a taxi to the airport, I think its about a 30 min taxi ride.

We have been on the Silhoutte twice....Med cruise in 2013, and British Isles cruise this past August that started and ceased in Amsterdam.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel, which is a 13 Euro taxi ride from hotel to the Cruise terminal

On our return, we actually docked further away from downtown as the Sail Amsterdam (Tall ship) festival was taking place. Does so every 5 yrs. And we stayed at the Aitana hotel. But if we had docked at the normal jetty, Movenpick would have been our choice as we too only stayed 1 night!

Edited by flames9

Going with Flames, great advice.

Easiest hotel to check in after your cruise and to maximize your Amsterdam time! Amsterdam is quite compact and the Movenpick (or the Doubletree by Hilton) will give you a great starting point. The ship literally drops you of in the center of Amsterdam.

Even if you do Amsterdam on your own and get lost on one of the many similar looking canals you will easily get back to the Central Station area where the Movenpick/PTA is next to.

Don't go for an airport hotel, there's no point in doing that, please promise that.. :D You will not see Amsterdam besides the 5-10 minutes in a taxi getting to the highway. Take the advised 3 hours, perhaps 3½ on the really safe side if you're unsure but 2½ works too when all goes well, before departure. I would suggest 6.30am taxi pickup, you'll be checking in your luggage a few minutes after 7am. Schiphol is a great airport, you won't get or go bored (visit the Rijksmuseum dependence between E and F concourse, for free, they have a few original master paintings, neat!)

Travel time from Movenpick/PTA to Schiphol is under 25-30 minutes by car.

Feel free to ask any questions!

If you do stay at Movenpick, you can pick up a canal tour close by. Canal tour is the best way to see Amsterdam. We were not thrilled with the airport and this is coming from a JFK regular lol. The lines to check in were ridiculous. You basically check in yourself including weighing and printing out your luggage tags. The security is at the separate gates, so you need to do your shopping and eating before you get to the gate and into the secure area.

If the Silhouette docks where it normally does downtown, 1 of the best places to stay is the Movenpick...as it is right there...no taxis to worry about....and ur very close to downtown, still like a 10 min walk, but very close. Just get up early the next day and catch a taxi to the airport, I think its about a 30 min taxi ride.

We have been on the Silhoutte twice....Med cruise in 2013, and British Isles cruise this past August that started and ceased in Amsterdam.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel, which is a 13 Euro taxi ride from hotel to the Cruise terminal

On our return, we actually docked further away from downtown as the Sail Amsterdam (Tall ship) festival was taking place. Does so every 5 yrs. And we stayed at the Aitana hotel. But if we had docked at the normal jetty, Movenpick would have been our choice as we too only stayed 1 night!

Did you like the Renaissance?

Did you like the Renaissance?

We did' date=' as it was very close to a lot of shops and restaurants. Lot of cruise people used it. Only like a 5-8 minute walk to the central station. Internet was not cheap, but since were a "member" and booked online it was free, BUT it was up to us on checkout to remind them to take off the fees!

I think it is a set rate from hotels in that area to airport, around $48 Euro

We had 5 days in Amsterdam before the cruise and I enjoyed that more than the cruise (not a huge cruise person,lol) One can book tours online with a middle man company such as viator....or just buy them at the many ticket booths, that are everywhere. We bought via viator, but still had to goto the ticket booths to pick up the actual tickets!

[b']Some of our favorite tours: [/b]

Red light walking tour! awesome!! Started at 8 pm, went for 2 hrs (or 2.5) really an eye opening tour.

Heinekin brewery tour! Interactive and beer! PLUS they have a canal boat, which is FREE...It is a narrated tour as well. We did it after the tour, takes you and drops u off by their souvenir store, which they give u 2 free Heinekin glasses! I think u can take it from the store to the brewery. We walked from Central stn to the brewery, and it didnt take long.

http://www.historywalks.eu/ Awesome walking tour!! Peter was full of interesting information. He emails you a ton of great info prior to the tour.....and sends you more after the tour...amazing!! And it is a small group, relaxing pace.

Canal pizza cruise: Very relaxing, pizza was fine, plenty of beer to drink!

Anne Frank house! if your going to do this, BUY the tickets online. Otherwise enjoy standing in line for HOURS!! They only sell so many tickets for that day online. And I think they go on sale around 6 months out (keep checking). I was told some people wait 5 hours to get in. http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/ We had online tickets for 10 am..simply walked right on up...passed the HUGE line!!!

dutch resistance museum: Excellent. we arrived 1.5 hrs prior to closing and that was enough time to see it http://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

Lot of great food everywhere, and so much to see!! Watch out for bikes, they are everywhere and I mean everywhere!!

Thank you for all your wonderful information.

Actually, we will not be cruising at all (taking a year off from that!).

We will be in Amsterdam for 4 days, on the way home from Malta.

We have been there before, but not at the Renaissance. Thanks for the heads up. It was the least expensive 5*. I think it came out to be less than many 4* hotels. I booked it through Expedia because I got a good price. But it is not prepaid, so I am watching the Marriott site to see if anything better shows up. We also have a Marriott "Member" card.

I haven't been to the Resistance museum. I definitely want to return to the Van Gogh and Riksmusem. And of course a canal boat ride. We will play it by ear because I find that we always spend more time than planned at any given venue.

Thanks again for all the info.

We did, as it was very close to a lot of shops and restaurants. Lot of cruise people used it. Only like a 5-8 minute walk to the central station. Internet was not cheap, but since were a "member" and booked online it was free, BUT it was up to us on checkout to remind them to take off the fees!

I think it is a set rate from hotels in that area to airport, around $48 Euro

We had 5 days in Amsterdam before the cruise and I enjoyed that more than the cruise (not a huge cruise person,lol) One can book tours online with a middle man company such as viator....or just buy them at the many ticket booths, that are everywhere. We bought via viator, but still had to goto the ticket booths to pick up the actual tickets!

Some of our favorite tours:

Red light walking tour! awesome!! Started at 8 pm, went for 2 hrs (or 2.5) really an eye opening tour.

Heinekin brewery tour! Interactive and beer! PLUS they have a canal boat, which is FREE...It is a narrated tour as well. We did it after the tour, takes you and drops u off by their souvenir store, which they give u 2 free Heinekin glasses! I think u can take it from the store to the brewery. We walked from Central stn to the brewery, and it didnt take long.

http://www.historywalks.eu/ Awesome walking tour!! Peter was full of interesting information. He emails you a ton of great info prior to the tour.....and sends you more after the tour...amazing!! And it is a small group, relaxing pace.

Canal pizza cruise: Very relaxing, pizza was fine, plenty of beer to drink!

Anne Frank house! if your going to do this, BUY the tickets online. Otherwise enjoy standing in line for HOURS!! They only sell so many tickets for that day online. And I think they go on sale around 6 months out (keep checking). I was told some people wait 5 hours to get in. http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/ We had online tickets for 10 am..simply walked right on up...passed the HUGE line!!!

dutch resistance museum: Excellent. we arrived 1.5 hrs prior to closing and that was enough time to see it http://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

Lot of great food everywhere, and so much to see!! Watch out for bikes, they are everywhere and I mean everywhere!!

We'll be staying at the Renaissance in July prior to the BI cruise on the Silhouette. Do you have any recommendations for café/bakery restaurants for breakfast that are within walking distance from the hotel? I've read hotel "room tips" on TA, some mention street noise, sloped ceilings, two separate buildings w/rooms. Did you have any recommendations for room location? We are wondering if the train from the airport to the hotel is possible. Do you think it would be difficult to walk from the station to the hotel w/luggage?

We'll be staying at the Renaissance in July prior to the BI cruise on the Silhouette. Do you have any recommendations for café/bakery restaurants for breakfast that are within walking distance from the hotel? I've read hotel "room tips" on TA, some mention street noise, sloped ceilings, two separate buildings w/rooms. Did you have any recommendations for room location? We are wondering if the train from the airport to the hotel is possible. Do you think it would be difficult to walk from the station to the hotel w/luggage?

Yes, as u walk out of the hotel, goto ur right and like 50 metres down the road across there street is a nice little breakfast place (much cheaper than what the hotel offers)....and on the same side of the road of the hotel is a great Tapas place for lunch/supper...

There are a lot of place to eat around the hotel!

I guess u could walk from the hotel to the station, sidewalks are full of people ( at least in August it was) From the hotel to the Movenpick hotel(Where celebrity docks) was 13 Euro

Ann frank house was maybe a 10-15 min walk. We loved the hotels location

Hope ur July British Isles cruise has better weather than this past Julys cruise---guess it rained every port! We had fabulous weather in August.....and our guides kept telling us how lucky we were!! bring rain gear,lol

Edited by flames9

Yes, as u walk out of the hotel, goto ur right and like 50 metres down the road across there street is a nice little breakfast place (much cheaper than what the hotel offers)....and on the same side of the road of the hotel is a great Tapas place for lunch/supper...

There are a lot of place to eat around the hotel!

I guess u could walk from the hotel to the station, sidewalks are full of people ( at least in August it was) From the hotel to the Movenpick hotel(Where celebrity docks) was 13 Euro

Ann frank house was maybe a 10-15 min walk. We loved the hotels location

Hope ur July British Isles cruise has better weather than this past Julys cruise---guess it rained every port! We had fabulous weather in August.....and our guides kept telling us how lucky we were!! bring rain gear,lol

Thanks for your input. We will probably take a taxi from airport to hotel. Were you happy with your room location in the hotel? If so where was it?

Thanks for your input. We will probably take a taxi from airport to hotel. Were you happy with your room location in the hotel? If so where was it?

Can't recall to be honest, didn't have much of a view, but was quiet.

On our return we stayed 1 night at the Aitiana hotel..much bigger room, very modern...staff were awesome, but its location was no where as good as the Renaissance.

If the Queens Garden is open with the tulips in bloom this is the most wonderful thing to do in Amsterdam in the spring. Absolutely the prettiest flowers you will ever see and the essence of Holland! Your luggage should be no problem -- take it to your hotel and park it in the luggage room even if the room is not ready for you. The trolley that runs down the main street is convenient to get to the museums. If you go to the Anne Frank house get your tickets on-line before hand. Look for the sign that says Pisser and shows a man -- I looked twice before I realized what it plainly said:o and understand that toy store is NOT for children! (Grabbed my friend just before she entered!)

We stayed at a wonderful hotel (Novotel's M Gallery) on a special that made it as cheap as some lower brands -- just 2 blocks from train station. Train in from airport to train station (and back out I imagine) was smooth and fast but not much room for luggage in carriages. We were on a river cruise of tulips and windmills in late April and it was magnificent trip!

If the Queens Garden is open with the tulips in bloom this is the most wonderful thing to do in Amsterdam in the spring. Absolutely the prettiest flowers you will ever see and the essence of Holland! Your luggage should be no problem -- take it to your hotel and park it in the luggage room even if the room is not ready for you. The trolley that runs down the main street is convenient to get to the museums. If you go to the Anne Frank house get your tickets on-line before hand. Look for the sign that says Pisser and shows a man -- I looked twice before I realized what it plainly said:o and understand that toy store is NOT for children! (Grabbed my friend just before she entered!)

We stayed at a wonderful hotel (Novotel's M Gallery) on a special that made it as cheap as some lower brands -- just 2 blocks from train station. Train in from airport to train station (and back out I imagine) was smooth and fast but not much room for luggage in carriages. We were on a river cruise of tulips and windmills in late April and it was magnificent trip!

Could you please tell us more about the Queens Garden? I have been searching the internet and cannot find any information about it. I have only found info on a restaurant (now closed ) by that name.

We plan to visit the Keukenhof Gardens while in Amsterdam, but would love to add this to our itinerary if possible. Thanks!

Barb

I too think the poster meant the Keukenhof flower gardens. Queen, Kue-en, Keuken, hm could be. :)

edit for some trivia; Keuken is Dutch for kitchen, hof would be courtyard, garden, court. The name comes from a nearby (now a ruin) small castle that used the dune land for produce and harvest, think wild, livestock, fruits and berries.

edit 2: The Keukenhof does has pavilions named after Dutch royals so that might be somewhat confusing. :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Sorry the keukenhof Gardens and Queens Garden are the same. Wonderful and I look at the poster we bought every day-- even as I type. If flowers in bloom this would be #1! Next walk around train station and Anne Frank house. next a boat trip through canal. maybe arrange a full day private tour to see all this wonderful city has to see.

We will be arriving May 2, 2016 coming off of a cruise would appreciate any suggestions for tour company suggestions. We will be staying at Hotel Brouwer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mardell

look at tripadvisor.....Plenty of reduced ticket selling places all over Amsterdam....viator.....

We're home now 2 weeks from our Celebrity Silhouette cruise Amsterdam to Rome. First, the Silhouette is a wonderful ship, other than we thought the food was mediocre, all else was amazing! The Captain is by far the best Captain we've ever sailed with! The ship was beautiful & well maintained. The staff couldn't have been better! You're going to love your cruise!

We stayed at the Banks Mansion in Amsterdam & loved it. Amsterdam is a real walking city-where ever you stay there will be alot to see & it will be easy to walk to.

Edited by SGilly
mistake

• 2 weeks later...
We're home now 2 weeks from our Celebrity Silhouette cruise Amsterdam to Rome. First, the Silhouette is a wonderful ship, other than we thought the food was mediocre, all else was amazing! The Captain is by far the best Captain we've ever sailed with! The ship was beautiful & well maintained. The staff couldn't have been better! You're going to love your cruise!

We stayed at the Banks Mansion in Amsterdam & loved it. Amsterdam is a real walking city-where ever you stay there will be alot to see & it will be easy to walk to.

Awesome:D...I am staying at The Banks in April pre-cruise:)...going

on my first River Cruise!:D

We were going to stay at the Banks Mansion during our recent wonderful shay in Amsterdam but on the recommendation of friends switched to Estherea. While I am sure Banks would have been lovely I am very glad we stayed at Estherea. I have stayed at many great hotels all over the world and put this hotel among the top. The location is terrific in the Nine Streets area on a central canal less than a ten minute walk to the Anne Frank House and under twenty to the Rijksmueum and VanGogh museum. The staff was unbelievably helpful -- including getting us reservations for dinner at a hard to book spot. The room oozed charm without compromising on comfort. The bed was great (after two weeks of rock hard beds in Morocco this was much appreciated) and the sparkling bathroom had a separate tub and shower. When I return to Amsterdam I will definitely stay there.

We recently sailed on the Silhouette (Rome/Rome) and loved it as well! The captain was the best! We have booked the Scandanavia/Russia for next August on the Sillouhette and are looking to book a hotel in Amsterdam. I will take a look at the hotel you suggested. Curious, where does the ship. Dock in Amsterdam?

Thanks, AnneMarie