Is it worth it?

Cutesydani

Last summer took celebrity summit and loved every part of it!!! Want to leave from NY or NJ since I'm local but wanted to try something else. We were going to do Norweigan Gem to Florida and Bahamas. It is a little more than re money and I am discovering the pool situation etc may not be worth it. Celebrity had an outside look and hot tubs outside that were always crowded and I assume the same will be for this one but celebrity had an indoor heated pool and hot tubs and we spent a great deal of time there. The only equivalent would be getting access to the thermal suite correct? Paying an extra $100 each? That hardly seems worth it when it came included with Celebrity. Won't the gem outside pools fill up fast also? Gem boasts about having 6 hot tubs but really only have 4 for the public. Another is in thermal suite and one in villas so not publicly accessible.

Last summer took celebrity summit and loved every part of it!!! Want to leave from NY or NJ since I'm local but wanted to try something else. We were going to do Norweigan Gem to Florida and Bahamas. It is a little more than re money and I am discovering the pool situation etc may not be worth it. Celebrity had an outside look and hot tubs outside that were always crowded and I assume the same will be for this one but celebrity had an indoor heated pool and hot tubs and we spent a great deal of time there. The only equivalent would be getting access to the thermal suite correct? Paying an extra $100 each? That hardly seems worth it when it came included with Celebrity. Won't the gem outside pools fill up fast also? Gem boasts about having 6 hot tubs but really only have 4 for the public. Another is in thermal suite and one in villas so not publicly accessible.

Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the extra cost of the Gem cruise is worth it or if the cost of the thermal suite isvworth it.

I'd vote Yes to both.

I'm. Saying that why would it be worth it when it was free on celebrity?

What might be worth something to one person might not be to another. Just like asking two people who watched a movie and one person loved it, and the other hated it!

Would it be worth it to me? I wouldn't set foot in anything thermal on a hot climate cruise, even if they paid me, so my answer is no.

But I have no way of knowing if it would be worth it to you.

EDIT: I take that back. I might consider it if they were going to pay me. :D

Edited by LrgPizza

You are comparing apples and oranges. NCL and Celebrity are very different cruise lines, the itineraries (Bermuda v. Fla/Bahamas) are totally different, the ships are very different. The solarium on the Summit can't really be compared with a spa on NCL. And you are paying for what is "free" on Celebrity as part of your cruise fare.

My suggestion is that you pick the itinerary you'd rather do or the ship you'd rather be on, and go from there.

(And, as the poster above said, I wouldn't want to be in heated water in the summer in any event.)

I suspect that the pools on any ship sailing a summer warm-weather itinerary when schools are not in session will be crowded regardless of cruise line.

We already went on celebrity and loved it and being able to get in the pool and hot tub is important to me and it doesn't seem like an option on GEM unless you pay for the thermal suit??

** also debating now about carnival splendor?

I haven't sailed on Celebrity but, comparing the 3, NCL and Carnival are probably more similar. I prefer NCL because I think they do anytime dining better and they have more choices of dining venues. From what I understand, Celebrity is a bit more formal in dress code that either of the other 2.

There are 2 pools on the pool deck of the Gem and both can be very crowded, especially in the summer when there are more kids on board. I would imagine that's going to be the case on any cruise line but I wouldn't go so far as to say the pool and hot tubs wouldn't be an option on the Gem. The itinerary you're considering on the Gem, though, is not one of my favorites (only did it once) so that would be a factor in my decision.

Edited by emcelh

If you want that experience on the Gem you have pay for it. Either book a spa cabin or buy the pass. If those options don't suit you perhaps return to Celebrity.

Verify the price. On the new NCL ships the price is more often $199pp for a weekly pass. If Gem is $100 that's great.

Did you pay to fly to your Celebrity cruise? That could be your cost savings for the thermal suite pass.

Edited by Nola26

You are the only one that can decide.

To me it is not worth it because of the itinerary, but lots of people like to go to the Bahamas and FL, not us.