Venice and Greek Isles ...water bus question

Hi everyone, just a quick couple of questions... Has anyone done the Venice and Greek Isles cruise and if so on sail day did you get a waterbus into Venice before sailing. I've asked the cruise club and they've said its ok to go into Venice before sailing but I was wondering how much it costs and how far from port it is. Also we will be visiting santorini...what excursions have people purchased if any for this Port, any information would be appreciated. Thanks so much ...Karen :)

Hi everyone, just a quick couple of questions... Has anyone done the Venice and Greek Isles cruise and if so on sail day did you get a waterbus into Venice before sailing. I've asked the cruise club and they've said its ok to go into Venice before sailing but I was wondering how much it costs and how far from port it is. Also we will be visiting santorini...what excursions have people purchased if any for this Port, any information would be appreciated. Thanks so much ...Karen :)

We're sailing on the Rhapsody this summer and I'm not quit sure I understand the question about getting into Venice and the cruise port.

If you're coming from the airport the day of the cruise, then a land bus would be easier, faster and cheaper.

If you're staying on the mainland, then trying to get to the cruise port, then bus would also be easier, faster, and cheaper.

If staying in Venice,,, then that's a whole new ballgame.

I've found this website to be very informative.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

I've asked the cruise club and they've said its ok to go into Venice before sailing but I was wondering how much it costs and how far from port it is.

The port is in Venice. It's a short monorail ride from P.Roma where the bus from the airport unloads. If you have time, by all means get a vaporetto ticket and ride the #1 all the way around the city.

The Vaporetto is fun and cheap. Nothing like floating down the Grand Canal. The UPS drivers are in little boats. Commuters in suits stand up in gondolas crossing in front of you. They look like they were whisked off a subway and onto a boat. If the ship is docked in Venice, you could check in, and if overnighting, go to the Vaporetto stop, and go enjoy the dream. If you're not overnighting, leave time for waiting for the next Vaporetto to get back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this 2 years ago on X. Stayed in Venice 3 days pre-cruise.

Sorry, I'm not clear on if you're staying in Venice before your cruise or just a day trip.

Either way the port is very close to Venice. We used the People Mover to go from our hotel to the port on sail day but we wouldn't do that again.

I don't think it could be too expensive to get a taxi or pre arrange a car service. Unless you would rather do a water bus for the novelty of it.

If it's just a stop for the day I would get a taxi to the bus station which is right across from the bridge to get into Venice.

Walk through all of the little streets and alleyways, you can't really get lost. You'll see signs everywhere pointing to St. Marks Square.

But if you want to see the Basilica I'd advise getting tickets before hand or you might have a very long wait in line..

We didn't have tickets so we just walked right into the Doge's Palace next door instead, no waiting. That was very interesting.

Had a very expensive but fantastic ice cream sundae in the square while people watching.

Then from St Marks you can hop on a water bus through the Grand Canal and I'm sure you can make a connection somewhere along the way back to the port.

In Santorini we took a ship's excursion on a bus to the main town about 30 mins away. Walked around and shopped and stopped for a drink at one of those little bars that overlooks the caldera. What a view!

Then the bus took us back to where we took the cable car back down to the port. Or if you're fit and don't mind heights you can walk down too.

We saw a lot of the island in the short time we had.

I'm sorry if this is not quite what you were looking for but I hope it's helpful.

Have a wonderful trip!:)

I have seen vaparetto tickets in staterooms that can be used if there is time before sailing to use them. One of the vaparetto companies operates water taxis from the port to St Mark's. I wouldn't recommend using the People Mover to get to Plaza Roma and the vaporettos there - too much time spent in transit. For Santorini, there is a nice tour of Oia that returns you Fira for the cable car, so you get a nice tour of the island and two of it's towns.

Sorry everyone I didn't make myself very clear.....we arrive on a flight from Manchester around 10.30 in the morning and the ship sales at 5pm at night. Our cruise consultant says we should have enough time to get into Venice and back to see some sights but I just wondered the best way. We didn't get the choice of booked nights prior as at the time our cruise included free flights flying out the morning of the cruise. I did ask about nights before but then we would have had to pay for our flights. Thanks so much for your replies up to now :)

I think it's going to be very tight and will depend on if you land on time.

Best case scenario

land 10.30,

11.15 get suitcase clear customs

11.30 get transfer coach get to ship approx 12.15

Wait to board any thing from 20 mins

Find cabin drop off hand luggage grab a sandwich might be off ship by 13.00.

Walk to find vaperetto suggested by rock doctor to Venice 10 mins, into Venice 20 minutes.

If you sail at 5,00 then need to be back on board at least 60 minutes before sailing sometimes 90 minutes.

Personally unless they are actually running a tour from the ship If you want to get off the ship them I think the only trip you could make would be to get the vaperetto at the port just for the ride and stay on the boat and come straight back . But you will see the same views on the sail away.

We will be doing this cruise in July - am currently looking at S001 Island of Santorini and Village of Oia - it leaves early at 7:15 AM, but it will avoid some of the heat of the day, and still alllow for plenty of time in Fira.

We are also interested in S064 Akirotiri Ruins and Village of Oia - I would like to see the ruins, although my 21 year old niece might not be too interested.

Did you know that you can download all of the RCI shore excursions for the cruise from their website, once you have logged in?

Sorry for going off topic, but I have to ask jagsfan if he is a fan of my favorite hockey player, Jaromir Jagr?

No, SHE is a fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars!!!

Akrotiri is very interesting but, I Think, more for adults. The site is under a huge roof and can get really hot. The town was buried during the Bronze Age by an earthquake and volcanic eruption. They think the people had warning because no petrified bodies found. I enjoyed it because of how civilized it was, with big picture windows and drainage system. If you visit, then there's a bus ride to Fira. Usually ships make a stop for those going to Akrotiri before anchoring off Fira.

We cruised Disney in the Greek Isles two years ago and did an excursion (on our own) with Santorini Sailing that was a Catamaran that sailed around the island in the caldera. Wanted to sail in a volcano. Got to swim in an area that was heated by the volcano. Very cool.

Sorry everyone I didn't make myself very clear.....we arrive on a flight from Manchester around 10.30 in the morning and the ship sales at 5pm at night. Our cruise consultant says we should have enough time to get into Venice and back to see some sights but I just wondered the best way. We didn't get the choice of booked nights prior as at the time our cruise included free flights flying out the morning of the cruise. I did ask about nights before but then we would have had to pay for our flights. Thanks so much for your replies up to now :)

Ok then, the cheapest way would be the bus. They run every 30 mins. Takes about 20 mins to town. That was about $10.00. The waterbus may be difficult if you have a lot of bags but close to the airport. You can prearranged car service which we did for the return. It was $40. plus tip at the time. They're very efficient and a quick way into or out of town. If you've never been, there are a lot of steps and bridges to cross in Venice so baggage would be difficult.

See GoVenice.com for lots of great info. [emoji3]

I think it's going to be very tight and will depend on if you land on time.

Best case scenario

land 10.30,

11.15 get suitcase clear customs

11.30 get transfer coach get to ship approx 12.15

Wait to board any thing from 20 mins

Find cabin drop off hand luggage grab a sandwich might be off ship by 13.00.

Walk to find vaperetto suggested by rock doctor to Venice 10 mins, into Venice 20 minutes.

If you sail at 5,00 then need to be back on board at least 60 minutes before sailing sometimes 90 minutes.

Kazacolly,

The above is quite accurate in my opinion. You will likely be able to check in your luggage and sign-in to the ship without actually getting onto the ship at that moment. If you're not mobile (with older mother) or with zero experience of where to go or how to get around in Venice, you're only hope whatsoever is to take the direct Alilaguna Blue Line from the cruise Terminal to St Mark's square and back. The following website is priceless for you:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Here is a step by step photo description of Venice from the cruise terminal that may help you plan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44387619&highlight=venice#post44387619

Note that the very first post you read, the 3rd picture you see terminal "107" with a Celebrity ship poking out behind. Just to the left of this is where the Alilaguna boats leave from, so basically very close to the ship. The ride is 20-25min directly to St. Mark's square. You will have time to only walk around maybe 2 hours maximum and not go into any of the venues in my opinion.