Crew Welfare Fund

gnomie1

Although we are platinum members of the Seven Seas Society, we only learned about the Crew Fund from reading CC - if it was not for CC, we still would not know about it. I have also mentioned it to a number of passengers on the ship who also had never heard of it.

Why does Regent keep this such a secret? I cannot tell you how bad we feel that were never contributed to such a fund that benefits the people who make our vacations so enjoyable. Although gratuities are included, we have always provided tips to those individuals who have gone above and beyond in service and only wish we had been made aware of this fund much earlier than this year.

Shame on Regent for keeping this such a secret.

gnomie :)

Hi Gnomie,

I think it depends on the CD and HR Manager on board, ie do they advertise it or not. Lorraine and Jamie were the CDs on both of my cruises and they were big advocates of the crew welfare fund.

On my last cruise there was a Crew Welfare Fund Auction, which raised over 22K, lots of fun items to enjoy on board including dinners with the crew, tours on board, etc. These are usually scheduled during Grand Voyages.

Cheers

Some frown upon tipping individuals aboard but, if I am gifted with exemplary service I very well may do so in some cases. I plan also to contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund.

I would like to know if wages are sufficient to cover what would have included gratuities.

The Crew Fund covers extra/emergency items for the crew- tours in some of the ports (St Petersburg for example), parties, transportation home for crew in case of family emergency and a variety of other things. I am a supporter of it - both the theory and in practice.

I've also been part of the auctions which have raised money as described by gwain6 - they are fun - both Jamie and Ray do a good job. The last one I took part in raised $45K on the Mariner during a Circle South America in 2013. I'm glad to hear that they are continuing on the Grand Voyages.

OctoberKat, I'm not sure who would have - or would give you - the information about crew salaries. I do know when the system changed and tips were included, the staff/crew seemed happier than before the change. My impression is that they netted more money - just my impression with no specifics.

Peggy

All cruise ships have crew welfare funds . This used for different things . Some of it is used to crew that have issues at home. When the typhoon hit the Phillipeans. They sent some of the money to the relatives of the crew men. Some was allocated for crew members to phone home and check on their condition.

Although we are platinum members of the Seven Seas Society, we only learned about the Crew Fund

Regent hides the Crew Welfare Fund in plain sight. The CDs are very discrete about making suggestions that you voluntarily participate. But they do not coerce guests to contribute, nor try to intimidate you to donate. I have seen information about the Crew Welfare Fund on all of my Regent cruises.

For more insight from CC, see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596492

Although we are platinum members of the Seven Seas Society, we only learned about the Crew Fund from reading CC - if it was not for CC, we still would not know about it. I have also mentioned it to a number of passengers on the ship who also had never heard of it.

Why does Regent keep this such a secret? I cannot tell you how bad we feel that were never contributed to such a fund that benefits the people who make our vacations so enjoyable. Although gratuities are included, we have always provided tips to those individuals who have gone above and beyond in service and only wish we had been made aware of this fund much earlier than this year.

Shame on Regent for keeping this such a secret.

Not a secret. Stop by reception, donate, you will receive a nice thank you from the crew.

Regent hides the Crew Welfare Fund in plain sight. The CDs are very discrete about making suggestions that you voluntarily participate. But they do not coerce guests to contribute, nor try to intimidate you to donate. I have seen information about the Crew Welfare Fund on all of my Regent cruises.

For more insight from CC, see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596492

Please tell me where you have seen information about the Crew Welfare Fund on all of your Regent cruises. I am an extremely observant individual and at now time over the past five years, has ANYONE ever mentioned anything regarding a Crew Welfare Fund. In fact, a couple of years ago we made inquiries regarding gratuities and the "unseen staff" and at that time was assured that all gratuities had been prepaid and if we wanted, could provide additional gratuities to specific staff members, but nothing was mentioned of the crew fund. Have never heard any CD mention it, even though on a number of cruises I have dined with the CD and the mention of staff was prominent in the conversation.

Yesterday I spoke to two couples, both gold on Regent, and neither of them were aware of the crew fund.

Not a secret. Stop by reception, donate, you will receive a nice thank you from the crew.

When you say "not a secret" - how did you learn about this fund? It is not printed on any of the information provided by Regent and I have never heard anyone from Regent mentioning it. As I said, I learned about it from CC.

I am not alone - talking to other seasoned Regent cruisers on this voyage, they also were completely unaware of such a fund.

Please tell me where you have seen information about the Crew Welfare Fund

One such place, FAQ Regent website:

SHOULD I TIP ONBOARD?

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

When you say "not a secret" - how did you learn about this fund? It is not printed on any of the information provided by Regent and I have never heard anyone from Regent mentioning it. As I said, I learned about it from CC.

I am not alone - talking to other seasoned Regent cruisers on this voyage, they also were completely unaware of such a fund.

In addition to the FAQ highlighted by Anchorbuoy, there should be something in the Passages and also in the daily update provided by the CD onboard.

I seem to have always known about it, but don't remember where I heard of it first. When you go to Reception and tell them that you want to donate, they have something for you to fill out so you get a very nice "thank you" letter.

And I've never seen the tips as "prepaid", I've always seen them as "included in the fare".