Winter in Bayonne

dbali

Looking to book a cruise either in Jan or Feb out of Bayonne. What is the weather like at that time of the year? How many days traveling south does it take for the weather to warm up? We are from the deep south and what people from the north call warm we call freezing!:D

Looking to book a cruise either in Jan or Feb out of Bayonne. What is the weather like at that time of the year? How many days traveling south does it take for the weather to warm up? We are from the deep south and what people from the north call warm we call freezing!:D

It will take at least one day and maybe two to get to warm weather.

I'd rather go to Florida or Galveston. There's no way I'd ever fly to NJ in the winter to take a cruise. Sometimes they have to shovel snow off the pool deck!

Edited by clarea

I wouldn't fly to Bayonne to take a cruise, either.

I will drive..........but that's the only reason to cruise out of Bayonne in January or February.

Remember, though, that the Quantum and Anthem are designed for cold weather ports of embarkation: there is more to do inside than on other ships.

:)

dbali, I am from NY/NJ and can tell you Jan/Feb will be cold and possibly a snowstorm. My birthday is in January and I was always caught in a snowstorm on my day.

It takes at least a day or so to get into warm weather and you have to pass Cape Hatteras to get to calm waters (in my experience).

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time precruise to get to the ship - 1 or 2 days.

Other than that, no worries. :D

Well, I guess I know now why Quantum is cheaper that time of the year. We live in Houston and either go out of Galveston or go to Florida but I want to go on Quantum. May have to rethink the time of year.

Thanks for the replies.

I live in PA and can tell you it will be cold. We usually cruise in Feb/Mar and have never taken a cruise from Bayonne because of the weather. I'm guessing your reasoning would be to try the Quantum? As an above poster said, the Quantum is designed for colder weather so there is a lot to consider..

Well, I guess I know now why Quantum is cheaper that time of the year. We live in Houston and either go out of Galveston or go to Florida but I want to go on Quantum. May have to rethink the time of year.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is an important thing to consider in your calculations:

Quantum will be doing basically two kinds of cruises: Bahamas and long Caribbeans.

Bahamas = not worth it in cold weather from New Jersey

Long Caribbeans = DEFINITELY worth it even in cold weather from NJ

PLUS: Quantum is leaving in May 2015. Liberty will be in NJ from May 2015 to November 2015. Anthem comes November 2015. You may want to look ahead to Anthem. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

It is cold!! You could take advantage of the indoor activities until you get into the warm weather. Unless the price is that much better, I would not fly to Bayonne. You also risk the chance of flights being canceled because of snow.

Edited by dacsmom

I live in NJ. I'd consider a cruise out of here in the winter if it was long enough to get to warm temps but only because I could drive to the port.

In your case I'd definitely recommend booking a flight to get in 2 days before the cruise goes to allow for delays. You can always spend time in NYC if you aren't delayed.

Last winter was really bad here. Almost every week we were getting buried in snow and ice. The only saving grace is that we rarely have 2 bad winters in a row so you should be in luck this winter.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

I live in NJ. I'd consider a cruise out of here in the winter if it was long enough to get to warm temps but only because I could drive to the port.

In your case I'd definitely recommend booking a flight to get in 2 days before the cruise goes to allow for delays. You can always spend time in NYC if you aren't delayed.

Last winter was really bad here. Almost every week we were getting buried in snow and ice. The only saving grace is that we rarely have 2 bad winters in a row so you should be in luck this winter.

Last winter almost did me in. :(

I agree that the odds are in our favor. I pray that we don't have a repeat of last year. We all need a break.

Oh Yeah! Last winter was all about ice and cold temps. As noted, you will need to allow at least one full day of cruising to get to warmer climates. Some people might be in the pool on Day 2 but they are probably from Canada!

All that being said, the purpose for most of us booking the Quantum is to see and enjoy the ship. It is designed for cooler weather so it could all work out very well for you to plan a winter cruise. However, you do need to consider flight delays and cancellations when making any plans for the NE in the winter months.

Guest maddycat

Thanks for the replies.

That's a good idea. April through November should be safe.

I wouldn't fly to Bayonne to take a cruise, either.

I will drive..........but that's the only reason to cruise out of Bayonne in January or February.

Remember, though, that the Quantum and Anthem are designed for cold weather ports of embarkation: there is more to do inside than on other ships.

:)

That should make the Chinese happy. :D

Even if I live near there.

I would never cruise out of Bayonne.

Besides the 2 1st & last days in freezing weather.

The Ports are the worst.

Canaveral is not a cruise destination.

I disagree. It depends on the sailing.

Labadee, San Juan, St Maarten, St Kitts and Barbados and Martinique is a great itinerary.

For those flying in, they can do so a few days early and tour NYC.

Cold weather? Blizzards? Gales? Bring it on!:p:D

Forget the Caribbean. You can't beat sailing out of New York Harbor in January--especially on a transatlantic crossing! Cruising the way it should be.:cool:;):D

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-01-06/cruise-liner-queen-mary-2-stranded-in-new-york-because-of-heavy-snow/

https://storify.com/CruiseCurrents/snowy-photos-from-queen-mary-2

It's hard to predict. We have sailed out of NY/NJ many times in Jan/Feb. Sometimes the sea was as smooth as glass and on the first and last full day we were in the pool. Sometimes the 2nd to the last day, while coming up the coast was chillier then the last day. Sometimes it wasn't until the 2nd full day that it started to warm up. Living just a little over an hr from the port, we cruised out of NY/NJ in the winter (and as I said, we have many times) but if I lived in TX and had to fly to a cruise port regardless, I would fly to Fla and take the cruise out of there. Not to mention you have SOOOO many more options out of Fla then from NY/NJ.