Passports???

Forensicmom

We are thinking about a last minute cruise the last week of June. My husband, oldest son and myself have passports however our 3 daughters (16, 14 10) do not. In my experience with getting a passport, there is not enough time to get them for my girls at this point. Is it really needed??

We just cruised in the fall and were told they were not needed for anyone under 16. Now that are oldest girl is over 16, I'm wondering. She dooes not have her drivers license yet and has no other ID other then a birth certificate.

We need to know where you are cruising to...Is it a closed loop cruise in the western hemisphere? If it is a cruise like what you did in the fall, they will be fine with a birth certificate. But your 16y/o needs a picture ID. does she have a school ID card? You might look into getting her a passport when you come back, as now that she is 16, it will be good for 10 years. EM

We are thinking about a last minute cruise the last week of June. My husband, oldest son and myself have passports however our 3 daughters (16, 14 10) do not. In my experience with getting a passport, there is not enough time to get them for my girls at this point. Is it really needed??

We just cruised in the fall and were told they were not needed for anyone under 16. Now that are oldest girl is over 16, I'm wondering. She dooes not have her drivers license yet and has no other ID other then a birth certificate.

You could get a passport through the agency still. You would need to set up an appointment and pay an expedited fee. Your 16 year old would not need to get another passport until 21 and then that passport would last for 10 years.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Thanks. It's a closed loop from San Juan through the Southern Caribbean. We know we'll need to look into getting the girs passports but I didn't want to pay the expedited fees and even then, they don't guarantee it by a certain date. That's why my son didn't go with us the last time. His passport had expired and it took too long getting a new one.

You could get a passport through the agency still. You would need to set up an appointment and pay an expedited fee. Your 16 year old would not need to get another passport until 21 and then that passport would last for 10 years.

Actually, if the child is at least 16, the passport lasts 10 years. Before 16, only 5 years. My daughter's passport expired the day after she turned 16, last month. Since she doesn't have any pending travel plans, we let it expire rather than renewing it while she was still 15 and having it only last 5 years.

Get her her "learner's permit"...that should have a photo! Or, simply get a photo ID at the DMV...

Whatever photo ID it is, it must be issued by some form of government.

A passport is NOT needed for a "closed loop" cruise from the USA.

Edited by cb at sea

Whoever told you passports weren't needed for anyone under 16 was incorrect. On a closed loop cruise from a US port, US citizens can travel on a certified birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID. Those under 16 yrs old only need a certified birth certificate.

If you submit the paperwork for passports for your daughters now, you should have no issue getting them back before your cruise. There was a time that passports were taking almost 3 months but that is not the case recently. They are taking just a couple of weeks with all the correct paperwork.

If you decide not to get passports, your 16 yr old is going to need a photo ID. You can get a picture ID at the DMV.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Whoever told you passports weren't needed for anyone under 16 was incorrect. On a closed loop cruise from a US port, US citizens can travel on a certified birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID. Those under 16 yrs old only need a certified birth certificate.

If you submit the paperwork for passports for your daughters now, you should have no issue getting them back before your cruise. There was a time that passports were taking almost 3 months but that is not the case recently. They are taking just a couple of weeks with all the correct paperwork.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=46488465

If you decide not to get passports, your 16 yr old is going to need a photo ID. You can get a picture ID at the DMV.

Children under 16 who are US or Canadian citizens and are traveling by land or sea (not flying) only need their birth certificate period. http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

Adults traveling on a closed loop cruise can also get away with birth certificate + photo ID

Edited by gluecksbaer

If you are leaving the United States these days (including Canada and Mexico) you would be well-advised to get a passport, regardless of age. That is not to say that you HAVE to have a passport for every cruise, but the rules are getting very complicated and the only document that you can be SURE of is a passport. When you leave the US and enter a foreign country, you forfeit all those US rights that people here take for granted. You are not a citizen of The Republic of XXXX. Not to say they will not be very nice to you, or not try to help you, but in the end, you are not in America. Also, when you re-enter the country you can avoid hassles and time loss if you have your passport.

I have only cruised once and it was almost ruined because two of my party were told by our TA that they did not need passports. I had mine and how no problems, but we spent the whole boarding day help up in the reception area while friends of ours hundreds of miles away broke into our house trying to find and fax us the right documents. It was the most stressful 5 hours of my life and I would have gladly paid hundreds of dollars on the spot to avoid it.

In the end, we were the last people running to get on the boat and we had a great time. When we got back, we then got held up in customs for an hour before they finally let us go. NEVER AGAIN! We all now have US passports.

So if you listen to some people that tell you that you don't need a passport for this or that, good luck. You might not. What I can tell you is that if you have it you don't need to worry. You have been warned.

Just wanted to add that I agree it's best to have passports because it is pretty much expected these days. My post was just a response to someone saying that it was incorrect to say passports weren't needed under 16. They aren't required but are recommended.

Just wanted to add that I agree it's best to have passports because it is pretty much expected these days. My post was just a response to someone saying that it was incorrect to say passports weren't needed under 16. They aren't required but are recommended.

Go back to the OP and see what i was responding to, the OP said that her older son, her DH and herself have passports but the girls that were under 16 didn't have passports because they were told those under 16 didn't need them. I responded that it is incorrect saying that those under 16 didn't need passports on a closed loop cruise because no one needs a passport for a closed loop cruise. There is no age requirement for those who need a passport and those who don't.

Children under 16 who are US or Canadian citizens and are traveling by land or sea (not flying) only need their birth certificate period. http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

Adults traveling on a closed loop cruise can also get away with birth certificate + photo ID

Travel documentation requirements are the same regardless of age except that 'children' aren't required to have a photo ID. Children can get away with a BC only because (as you indicate) it is not required for adults either.

But let's be crystal clear: if the adult requires a passport, so does the child. Period.

OP: as others have stated, there is plenty of time to get a passport if you have the documentation. I just renewed for our 5YO twins (which is sent as a new submission for children, so should take about the same time). It took 3 weeks door to door, including Presidents Day. No expedite service, no overnight delivery. The USPS sent it Fedex, but it came back regular mail which took 2 or 3 days to Atlanta. Given that you are in Maryland, overnight mailing wouldn't save you more than a day anyway.

Your 16YO would probably require a photo ID to submit the app in the first place. However, it seems that she'll need it to get on the ship if she does not have a PP. The photo ID seems like potentially a bigger problem than the PP, depending on your locality.

That said, I'd want to have another certified copy of their BCs before sending off the 'original'. If you have that, then you are OK even if the PPs don't show up on time for some reason.

Travel documentation requirements are the same regardless of age except that 'children' aren't required to have a photo ID. Children can get away with a BC only because (as you indicate) it is not required for adults either.

But let's be crystal clear: if the adult requires a passport, so does the child. Period.

Then why does the information from U.S. Customs and Border Protection say otherwise? The exception for adults on their page is closed loop cruises only. The exception for children is by age (and U.S. or Canadian citizen). It is before and unrelated to the information on cruises.

(Not a government agency, but Amtrak has the same info regarding children: http://www.amtrak.com/crossing-the-us-canadian-border, Homeland Security in the State of Maine: http://www.state.me.us/mema/homeland/home_faq_display.shtml?id=84856, also not government but here's AAA http://www.aaa.com/aaa/Traveler/ITT907.pdf, US Embassy to Mexico: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html, and every other website on required travel documents--I just copied links for the most trustworthy.)

Not arguing that passports are the best idea. Despite all the research I did, we're getting them for our kids. But the information is pretty clear that certified birth certificates are the only actual requirement under 16.

Then why does the information from U.S. Customs and Border Protection say otherwise? The exception for adults on their page is closed loop cruises only. The exception for children is by age (and U.S. or Canadian citizen). It is before and unrelated to the information on cruises.

(Not a government agency, but Amtrak has the same info regarding children: http://www.amtrak.com/crossing-the-us-canadian-border, Homeland Security in the State of Maine: http://www.state.me.us/mema/homeland/home_faq_display.shtml?id=84856, also not government but here's AAA http://www.aaa.com/aaa/Traveler/ITT907.pdf, US Embassy to Mexico: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html, and every other website on required travel documents--I just copied links for the most trustworthy.)

Not arguing that passports are the best idea. Despite all the research I did, we're getting them for our kids. But the information is pretty clear that certified birth certificates are the only actual requirement under 16.

The discussion is about cruising and closed loop cruises, no US citizen needs a passport to travel on a closed loop cruise from a US port. It does not make a difference if they are above or below 16, they do not need a passport.

From your first link:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

While passports are not necessary for anyone on a closed loop cruise, it isn't a bad idea to have them. Original, certified birth certificates and photo id are required for most 16+ if they don't have a passport or enhanced drivers license/non-drivers ID.

I applied for passports for my girls on April 6 utilizing the regular process, no expedited service or mailing and received them back April 28th. They had advised me it would be 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm not familiar with land crossings, but according to your Amtrak link:

Documents Required to Cross the US-Canadian Border

The only acceptable documents to cross the US-Canadian border by land or sea are:

US Citizens 16 and over

United States Passport, or

United States Passport Card, or

Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, FAST or SENTRI), or

Enhanced Driver's License, Enhanced Learner's Permit, or Enhanced State ID card

etc...

This clearly indicates that in this scenario a passport is acceptable but not required for an adult. That is in line with what I said: the child does not require a passport in this situation where the adult does not require a passport.

For the child under 16:

One of the above documents, or

Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate (bearing the raised seal of the issuing office and a statement that it is a certified copy of the original document on file at that office) or...

So the delta is that a child can also use a certified BC, as opposed to being required to have a photo ID. This is also in line with what's been stated several times in regards to the OP's question.

From the U.S. Embassy link that you provided:

As of March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children -- must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. Entry by any means, for example by plane or car, is included in this requirement.

This specifically calls out that there is not an exception for children.

There does seem to be an exception for the "border zone", but I see no mention of children having different requirements in that scenario either. In the border zone (sounds a bit ominous, doesn't it?) the adult does not require a passport so the child would not either.

While passports are not necessary for anyone on a closed loop cruise, it isn't a bad idea to have them. Original, certified birth certificates and photo id are required for most 16+ if they don't have a passport or enhanced drivers license/non-drivers ID.

We've had passports for the kids since they were a few months old, and we've just renewed. We had planned a land trip to Mexico early on but it never happened, so they've never technically needed them having only been on cruises. Still, at ~$20 a year it's much cheaper than everything else related to raising kids. :)

I do wish I had waited until they were about 2 because now I'll have to get 4 child passports or have them go without for a year+ at some point. The child passport are more of a pain since they are new submissions each time and have to be done in person. A pain to go do it, plus an extra $25(x2) for the 3 minutes it took to verify and package the twins applications. :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with land crossings, but according to your Amtrak link:

etc...

This clearly indicates that in this scenario a passport is acceptable but not required for an adult. That is in line with what I said: the child does not require a passport in this situation where the adult does not require a passport.

For the child under 16:

So the delta is that a child can also use a certified BC, as opposed to being required to have a photo ID. This is also in line with what's been stated several times in regards to the OP's question.

There does seem to be an exception for the "border zone", but I see no mention of children having different requirements in that scenario either. In the border zone (sounds a bit ominous, doesn't it?) the adult does not require a passport so the child would not either.

Except that all children under 16 can travel without a passport whereas only adults who are in the mililitary, have a trusted travelers card, or live in one of 4 states that issue an EDL can cross without a passport. This is not exactly the same as "needing photo ID"

Not sure why the U.S. Embassy page has conflicting information because it also has this:

"Entry to the US by land or sea: Regardless of your final destination in Mexico, all U.S. citizens age 16 or over must present either a U.S. passport book or card to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea. Minors under the age of 16 may enter the U.S. via the land border with a certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, citizenship certificate, or naturalization certificate."

Which does show an exception for those under 16.

I will concede that it's irrelevant to the original poster's question about a closed loop cruise. If it were me I would apply for passports as soon as possible and make sure I had alternate documents available in case the passport don't arrive in time.

You probably don't really care. But I did figure out the apparent contradiction. The part you quoted is for "Entry Requirements for Mexico." It refers to Mexican law. The part I quoted is for US Law.

Which is another good reason to have a passport. If you do not bring a passport then you have to check the requirements for entry for each country you will be visiting. If you are allowed on a cruise without a passport you may still not be allowed off the ship.

You probably don't really care. But I did figure out the apparent contradiction. The part you quoted is for "Entry Requirements for Mexico." It refers to Mexican law. The part I quoted is for US Law.

Which is another good reason to have a passport. If you do not bring a passport then you have to check the requirements for entry for each country you will be visiting. If you are allowed on a cruise without a passport you may still not be allowed off the ship.

You are quoting sections out of context, you do not need a passport on a closed loop cruise. You are considered in transit and will be allowed off the ship. Many cruise ships on closed loop cruises leave US ports every day and visit Mexican ports. All passengers can only embark on a cruise if they have the correct documents to reenter the US. If a passenger gets off the ship and is left in Mexico, then they will have an issue reentering the US without a passport.

Your statements about entry requirements and being stuck on the ship are incorrect. The cruise lines will only allow you to embark on a ship if you have the correct documents to enter and exit all ports. In the case of cruises that aren't closed loop or are from non-US ports, you are required to have a passport and also have visas for any countries that require them or take excursions that handle the visa requirements for you.

Sorry, those were separate thoughts and I didn't realize how they would read together. The first was in response to the previous quotes regarding US law to note that Mexico does not distinguish by age in its entry requirements regarding passports. The US does distinguish by age in its entry requirements regarding passports.

Like other countries, Mexico does have different categories for who needs a passport based on where, when, how etc a visitor is traveling. I didn't mean to imply that a passport was required in Mexican ports.

There are, however, some Caribbean countries that require passports in which the law (in that country) is those on a cruise without a passport must remain on the ship. I did extensive research on the laws in determining whether to get my own children passports. I didn't research policies for all cruise lines to know whether any cruise lines would allow someone to travel under those circumstances (hence the word "if"). My point in adding that mostly to note that this conversation has focused on US laws regarding passports and anyone considering going on a cruise without passports also needs to consider the laws of the countries they will visit.

Sorry, those were separate thoughts and I didn't realize how they would read together. The first was in response to the previous quotes regarding US law to note that Mexico does not distinguish by age in its entry requirements regarding passports. The US does distinguish by age in its entry requirements regarding passports.

Like other countries, Mexico does have different categories for who needs a passport based on where, when, how etc a visitor is traveling. I didn't mean to imply that a passport was required in Mexican ports.

There are, however, some Caribbean countries that require passports in which the law (in that country) is those on a cruise without a passport must remain on the ship. I did extensive research on the laws in determining whether to get my own children passports. I didn't research policies for all cruise lines to know whether any cruise lines would allow someone to travel under those circumstances (hence the word "if"). My point in adding that mostly to note that this conversation has focused on US laws regarding passports and anyone considering going on a cruise without passports also needs to consider the laws of the countries they will visit.

What Caribbean countries and cruise line are you referring to?

The countries are: Barbados, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barts, St. Martin, and Trinidad and Tobago. As previously mentioned, I researched whether my kids needed passports not all cruise lines and all cruise line policies.