Thomson Restoring My Faith

Just returned from a fantastic week on Majesty. Will do a proper review later, but just a say that everything was good, and much better than previous cruises that have seen a decline in quality.

Was also apprehensive about going on Majesty after mixed feelings from people who had travelled on her, but really enjoyed it. Yes, it has some flaws, but which ship doesn't.

Will do a slightly more in-depth review later...

So pleased you enjoyed Majesty. We were very nervous when we booked to go on her in April - the rock bottom price was the clincher! - but we really enjoyed our stay on her and now far prefer her to the Dream.

Looking forward to hear your review.

Just returned from a fantastic week on Majesty. Will do a proper review later, but just a say that everything was good, and much better than previous cruises that have seen a decline in quality.

Was also apprehensive about going on Majesty after mixed feelings from people who had travelled on her, but really enjoyed it. Yes, it has some flaws, but which ship doesn't.

Will do a slightly more in-depth review later...

We enjoyed our first time on The Maj as well Sailaway.Yes it has some flaws but as you say which ship doesn't,t

Apologies if I bore you all with the review. :D

Before going on Majesty I was a little apprehensive as the reviews have not always been positive about the ship. However, recent reviews seem to have improved quite considerably so I decided to try it, and if we hated the ship, at least we know the itinerary is going to be brilliant and could make up for it. I’m glad we went on the Majesty though, as yes it has flaws, but we still enjoyed it.

I’ve not done a ports review as they’ve been done many times before and we mainly just did our own thing in each, but the Adriatic Explorer itinerary is still as good as it always has been - Thomson’s best itinerary by far. Venice still as stunning as ever, Dubrovnik beautiful and the stunning sailing into Kotor can’t be beaten.

The ship itself is in a good condition, doesn’t have any vibration issues, and the crew keep it maintained well. Even though the ship was I think full, the passenger flow worked very well, and it never seemed overcrowded. Always a sunbed free (although perhaps not one in the best places), but sunbed hogging continues, and I think has got worse. Again, warnings in the Cruise News, but didn’t see anyone enforcing the rule.

The layout of the ship I liked, definitely better than the Dream. Much preferred not having all entertainment venues on one level; I think it works better having them split. However, I do think that a lot of areas are quite small and dark, and could do with brightening up a bit - perhaps something they might consider in the Platinum upgrade.

We mainly ate in Piazza San Marco for breakfast and lunch, and then Seven Seas in the evening. The ‘new’ Piazza San Marco is very well laid out (probably the best in Thomson’s fleet buffet restaurant wise). It has two sides that meet in the middle (like Spirit and Celebration), with the repeat of starters and mains on each side. Then in the centre of the restaurant are the desserts, tea/coffee/water and hams and cheeses. It works very well, no queues really at all. A massive improvement to the poor Lido Restaurant on the Dream. And you can always get a table. Tables for four seems to work much better, unlike the larger tables on the Dream. They’ve done a good job of this area, and it would be nice to see similar investment into other areas of the ship too. I wouldn’t like to have been on the ship though when it just had Café Royale as the inside buffet area. But now, it works very well.

Now to a negative, the Jubilee Show Lounge. Too small for the ship, not enough seats, and nearly all being obstructed by pillars or other people. It is definitely the worst bit about the ship, and it is such a shame considering the effort the show team put in. Above the show lounge is the Frame 52 disco area, which I don’t think is hardly used at all. Whether they could remove the ceiling and move the beauty salon somewhere else and create a two floor show lounge, I don’t know, but I think they could do with doing something to try and improve the space.

Royal Observatory is another place I think they could improve. The buffet style tables and chairs in there I’m guessing are there as people used to take their food from Café Royale, but now that no one does this with the new buffet restaurant, they need to refurbish it to create a Horizons style bar, something that has already been mentioned on this forum. Would improve the space, and could easily be done.

One thing I would recommend as many others have done on here, go for a ‘Plus’ cabin. The standard ones are really small. The ‘Plus’ cabins though are quite spacious.

The entertainment itself was of a very good standard. Excellent show team that worked extremely hard, the cruise director Katy is also very good, and the house band Muzzik Unlimited were fantastic, probably the best band we’ve seen on Thomson ships.

Crew were once again brilliant. All from the waiters to the cabin stewards were very friendly and worked hard. On the Dream it did seem that there had been cuts of staffing, but no problems on the Majesty. Very quick to get a drink, cabin stewards didn’t seem to be under pressure to clean too many cabins, and the overall atmosphere on board was very positive. A complete contrast to the Dream in recent years where we saw evidence of a lot of cost-cutting, it taking a long time to get a drink and cabin stewards having to do a lot more cabins. Well done Louis on the staffing front! You’ve got a great set of crew on Majesty, and as a company they don’t seem to be cost cutting.

Another improvement we saw was on the food front, where we’d seen huge declines over the years. Definitely not the case on Majesty. It wasn’t gourmet (but when has it ever been on Thomson, and you know not to expect that), but the food on the whole was very flavoursome. Plenty of choice, especially at the buffet restaurant where we’d seen a big decrease on other ships in the past. Quality was also much better, desserts still not brilliant, but certainly an improvement. Once again, well done Louis! Thomson has been very clearly cost cutting with their food, but Louis hasn’t been. Reminded me more of what the food used to be like 10 years ago. A major improvement!

Drinks however were a bit mixed. Reasonably priced, but varied in quality, and certainly not as strong as they used to be. Also, a smaller choice of cocktails than on the Dream. I know there are different companies running the ships, but I think there needs to be more consistency (something with the recent management announcement we might now see perhaps).

There are certain other things that I missed on Majesty, like the wood teak on the promenade deck, more space at the back of the ship with the quieter levels that you get on the Dream, and the rather annoying staircase in the middle of the sun deck. But, these are all just little niggles, which each ship has. I don’t like the entertainment being on one deck on the Dream, the wobble that Celebration and Spirit has is a negative on these ships. Yes, Majesty isn’t perfect, but neither are the others, and I choose a cruise because of the itinerary, as that is the whole point of cruising, the ports you visit.

The past cruises with Thomson have always felt like cost-cutting was at the forefront of their minds, and I was very near to not cruising with them again. However, this Majesty cruise has changed my mind. Learn from how Louis has done things Thomson! Excellent crew, much better food, and overall a better atmosphere on board.

It’s a really nice, well maintained ship, and I think the improvements they’ve made have certainly made a difference, especially with Piazza San Marco.

If like me you are slightly concerned about going on Majesty as it might not be as good a ship as the other three, don’t be. I’d probably say it is my least favourite out of the four (mainly due to the show lounge), but we still had a fantastic time and will look forward to sailing on it again.

Thank you to all the hard-working crew on Thomson Majesty for an excellent cruise, one of the best we’ve had!

Hi Sailaway487

Wish I could put words together like you have done. Fantastic report.

We sailed on Majesty just after it was taken over and thoroughly enjoyed it so look forward to the changes when we sail on her in October and again next May but firstly we are returning to Spirit in 4 weeks. The Louis run ships definitely leave Celebration and Dream operations lacking and I have said this before. However, there is also a lot that both these operations could learn from Island Escape.

Like you, the itinerary is always first for us so it would be Spirit/Majesty followed by Island Escape (only because IE's itineraries are not so varied or it may well be top of the list) and lastly Celebration/Dream. First time on Dream in April for TA and was totally underwhelmed.

After 25 years cruising with Thomson, and latterly at least 2/3 over the last 10 years, the time is seriously coming to move on.

Great review Sailaway - I didn't know you were away. I thought you were quiet :D

Glad you liked the Majesty, it is our favourite Thomson ship, but I know others don't like her :rolleyes:

Good idea about the showlounge, although I still think the problem is not clearing it after the first show and encouraging people to stay in by having Musik Unlimited performing there between shows (fabulous as they are :))

Looking forward to going back in October and seeing all the changes :)

Thank you Sailaway for your comprehensive and very balanced review. :) It made very interesting reading. I can identify with the aspects of the design of the ship which you felt could be better - my impressions exactly - except that since we travelled the upgrade to the Piazza San Marco has obviously been a great improvement from what you and others have said. Unfortunately although your suggestions for the show lounge sound like a good idea, I doubt it would or even could be done which is a pity. And yes those standard cabins are small aren't they? We managed but I'd definitely recommend an upgrade to 'Plus' even for those like us who are usually quite happy with a basic one.

I would also agree that the food on Majesty was very good. I said it was probably the best we'd had on Thomson in my review. With recent declining standards (cost cutting) on Dream which is a serious issue for me it's good to know that the Louis managed ships are maintaining their quality and choice of food - also service.

Like you I feel that Louis are doing a much better job on their ships than Thomson at the moment. I cannot believe Thomson aren't responding to this recurrent criticism and doing more to improve the service and food on Dream (can't speak for Celebration as although we've travelled on her 11 times it's a while since the last trip so would be unfair to comment). But that would cost money.................

Anyway I'm really pleased you had such a good time and that stunning itinerary is always a winner. ;)

Great review Sailaway and agree with mostly all your observations/points.I prefer the entertainment layout on the Dream with all entertainment venues on the same level especially the two main ones in The Medusa and Show theatre next door to each other but that's a personal thing

Welcome back Sailaway, enjoyed reading your review:).

Glad to hear the new layout of the Piazza San Marco is working and taking the pressure off the Café Royale as the inside buffet area as this used to overflow downstairs into the Royal Observatory as a makeshift eating area .

From when we was on I imagine that to be a good improvement apart from the people who used to like to sit at the back of the ship catching the sun and see the world go by .. one less place now .

I noted you said this ship is vibration free :confused:

Again when we were onboard a guy I got chatting to had next to no sleep due to really bad Vibration on deck four, just past the medical centre and we walked down ourselves and I must say it was bad and was glad we were not down there .

Having said that we were midships on deck four and it was silent and smooth .

Think the reason was once said to be to do with it being stretched when they extended her .

We enjoyed our time on her as well. Some hate/love her but that can happen to any ship within the fleet .

When it comes to Louis and Thomson ships regarding the food , in our experience you can taste the difference and see a better choice as you seem to have found out .

As for the Showbar I'm with Kruzze on this one , a good idea that will not happen due to the expense that would be needed to alter it .

Glad you had a good time .:)

Edited by kalos

Great review, Sailaway, thank you. I agree with all you have written. The only thing IMO, is that now they have improved the buffet (and it certainly needed doing) they have got rid of the outside eating facilities at San Marco. We always headed there on returning onboard for some late lunch and to relax in the sun.

:(

Great review Sailaway - I didn't know you were away. I thought you were quiet :D

Glad you liked the Majesty, it is our favourite Thomson ship, but I know others don't like her :rolleyes:

Good idea about the showlounge, although I still think the problem is not clearing it after the first show and encouraging people to stay in by having Musik Unlimited performing there between shows (fabulous as they are :))

Looking forward to going back in October and seeing all the changes :)

I suggested this after my first cruise when we were not allowed in one evening because it was packed with people standing at the back. Since then though, extra seats have been added and shelves on the backs of the couch like seats so people sitting on the bucket seats have somewhere to put their drinks. I do admit it used to irritate me when people said they had stayed in to see the performance again as it was so good. Also, some people would save their seats for their friends to have for the second performance. It's just human nature! Clearing the show lounge would prevent this.

Good review!

We also had issues in the show lounge. The static upholstered seating had small tables in front with spare chairs around which is fine if the intention is to chat and drink but of course everybody is facing in one direction to watch the show. Silly idea.

The biggest problems came when people taking up these seats just plonked themselves down without having the courtesy to move their seats a few inches to ensure that those behind had a 'line of sight'. Two couples choosing to snuggle up and chat incessantly without any consideration for others ruined the show for the 3 rows behind. It was only my acceptance that the layout is primarily to blame (thanks wifey) that stopped me having a word but I'm sure there's some heated exchanges to go with the tutting at times!

We chose the free moving seats at the back of the central section which we could move sideways if needed.

Glad to hear you had a good time Sailaway. Like you I had reservations about the Majesty when Thomson took her over, and decided from the reviews that the ship wouldn't suit me - too many issues with the things that are important to me. However to their credit Thomson listened to the feedback and have addressed some of the major problems. With the recent great reviews I've also taken the plunge and last week I booked the Majesty repo on 31st October at a really good price.

I'm also on the Arctic Affair on Saturday. I've not been on a Louis ship for the last few cruises so hoping to see an improvement compared to Celebration/Dream. I have been looking at other cruise lines recently, notably Princess and Celebrity, especially now Thomson are not doing ex-UK next year. The new itineraries they have unveiled for 2015 are good though, but expensive, so I think its fair to say that my experience on the next 2 cruises will make my mind up as to whether I stick with Thomson for a while longer or broaden my horizons.

Glad to hear you had a good time Sailaway. Like you I had reservations about the Majesty when Thomson took her over, and decided from the reviews that the ship wouldn't suit me - too many issues with the things that are important to me. However to their credit Thomson listened to the feedback and have addressed some of the major problems. With the recent great reviews I've also taken the plunge and last week I booked the Majesty repo on 31st October at a really good price.

I'm also on the Arctic Affair on Saturday. I've not been on a Louis ship for the last few cruises so hoping to see an improvement compared to Celebration/Dream. I have been looking at other cruise lines recently, notably Princess and Celebrity, especially now Thomson are not doing ex-UK next year. The new itineraries they have unveiled for 2015 are good though, but expensive, so I think its fair to say that my experience on the next 2 cruises will make my mind up as to whether I stick with Thomson for a while longer or broaden my horizons.

It will be interesting to get your feedback Grez both on the current Louis experience on Spirit and what you think of Majesty. We had a great cruise on her - I just had reservations about the ship's design but that is personal opinion and didn't stop me enjoying my holiday. It seems that with the new self service things have improved on that front.

I don't really want to bang the drum for other cruise lines on here (I would like to think that there are still some Thomson cruises for us in the future - I really want them to provide me with the kind of experiences we've enjoyed so much in the past) but we picked up a P&O (last year) and then this year a Celebrity Norway/Iceland cruise for around £1000 for 14 nts. Granted fairly late deals, booked about 6/8 weeks before departure and basic cabins but that's a very good price in my book. If you can afford to (work? timings? have the nerve?) it might be worth waiting until nearer the time. ;)

I hope you have some great weather and enjoy your upcoming trip to Iceland - we were bowled over by it! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Great review, Sailaway. Not at all boring :)

I would agree too with most of what you said.

Food, entertainment and service definitely better than on the Dream.

We did have vibration in our cabin on Majesty and it was also noticeable in the show lounge. Perhaps they have done something to improve that.

I did like the area at the back of the Majesty, in fact it was my favourite part of the ship (minus the soot from the funnel :D), although the new buffet area seems to have made a huge difference to people's enjoyment of their cruise.

Like you, Sailaway, we had a wonderful cruise on Majesty, but the jury is still out for me with the ship itself, I am afraid. I found most areas of the ship overcrowded but then I have a problem with claustrophobia.

Thanks for the review Sailaway.

The ship layout is not the best, but the staff and food are probably the best we have had on Thomson.

I just hope the experience we will have on the Dream soon can match the Majesty, there's only one way to find out, and however the food and service is on there, we will go with the mindset that we WILL have a good time.

We mainly picked the Dream because the layout will be better for MIL in her wheelchair.

Hope you have a great time Grez! Like you, I hadn't been on a Louis ship recently either, and the quality in service and food was a big improvement compared to C&D, so you shouldn't be disappointed here. Let us know when you return what you think of the ship when you return.