Buying ipad on board

daka

I believe at one point some Celebrity ships (Solstice class?) had mini Apple stores on board, but we've never seen any Apple products for sale on RCL. RCL did have iPads in the suites on some ships - we had one in our JS on Enchantment last fall - but they may have been discontinued (there wasn't one in our JS on Enchantment two weeks ago).

Generally prices onboard is US list excl. tax - so you will save US tax - depending on ports on call you might find better prices at land like in St. Maarten.

Make sure that you know exact local prices on the configurations you want to buy and then check for the local Apple shops in advance.

Generally, all ipads sell for the same price. If you go to the Apple website, you can get the ipad with free engraving. I bought one for my husband as a birthday/Christmas gift. They are also great to deal with and you can go to ANY Apple Store if you have a problem. It is shipped right to your door.

P.S. - Like the others who responded, I have never seen an ipad sold on a cruise ship.

Generally, all ipads sell for the same price. If you go to the Apple website, you can get the ipad with free engraving. I bought one for my husband as a birthday/Christmas gift. They are also great to deal with and you can go to ANY Apple Store if you have a problem. It is shipped right to your door.

P.S. - Like the others who responded, I have never seen an ipad sold on a cruise ship.

As orville99 stated Celebrity Solstice class have an Apple store and they sell Ipads at US prices. I was in the Solstice store and many non US folks thought they were a good deal.

Apple products are sold on Celebrity. I see that you live in Florida; this weekend is "tax-free" weekend for back-to-school items, including computers up to $750. The iPad would be tax-free. In addition, Staples had $20 off on iPads a few days ago (I don't know how long that will last) plus some type of rewards program that gives you 5% back to spend in the store, I believe.

Apple is not known for discounting their products, as many others have said. When I bought my IPad, I looked for a store that was offering some type of incentive (Best Buy was offering a gift card at the time), plus used a credit card that I got miles from.

We were on the Celebrity Millenium last year and they had a mini Apple store on board. I know because I browsed their stuff a number of times.

There was an Apple store on Eclipse but none on any RCI ships.
Apple has a contract with Celebrity, that's why all their computers in the computer room are Apple's. I though I read that RCI is also going to partner with Apple. However I might be mistaken.

Do not buy an iPad on board if you are from the U.S.

The most the cruise ships give you is 5% and maybe sales tax.

If you really want a bargain, wait a two to three months until the new models come out. Most of the electronic stores will heavily discount previous models.

I have seen BestBuy/Target/Staples etc already discounting models, you can get at least $100 off Apple retail prices.

If you typically want the newest and greatest technology, you might want to wait anyways.

Apple will have new gens out around Oct/Nov.

Edited by rpgbuff