Question re male attire: Panama Canal

jocelysue

DH has lost over 50 lbs this past year so none of his summer clothes fit. He has some mobility problems and has a hard time shopping for clothes so I buy them, bring them home, and have him try them on.

He loves formal evenings on cruises and enjoys wearing a tux. However, his tux doesn't fit him anymore. I've tried and tried to find black trousers that fit but they all look like Justin's Bieber's pants from behind, i.e., they sag, sag, sag. I have found black jeans that fit him. He wonders if it would be appropriate to wear them plus a black cardigan on foral evenings along with a bow tie.

Also what is the weather like at night on a balcony during the Panama Canal transit (we're leaving April 14 on Celebrity Infinity). Does he need heavy sweaters to sit out? We want to travel light and have only the necessary amount of clothes. Should he bring short sleeved or long sleeved shirts? Would open collar polo shirts be better?

One might think that we're newbies from these questions. We've cruised quite extensively but never under conditions where DH has difficulty in walking & dressing.

Would really appreciate advice on what to pack so DH can enjoy himself and still attend formal evenings without either being turned away or feeling too much out of place. TIA

Can he? Or May he? Jeans...black or not, are not "formal" by any stretch of the imagination. Will they turn him away? Probably not. A dry-cleaner can take in the rear of pants quite easily, or any seamstress/tailor can! A shirt and tie are fine....I would leave off the cardigan...too hot.

For non-formal evening, the polo/golf shirts are fine....that's what the majority of men will be wearing. You won't need long sleeves!

Climate....Panama is TROPICAL...it's HOT and HUMID...and HOT! You will not need sweaters at all.....it's HOT! Panama isn't far from the equator...it's hot year round.

Thanks for your reply. It sure will help with the planning. Knew that Panama was hot but was wondering about the San Diego- Puerto Vallarta and Colon- Miami part sof the tour & whether the winds were so strong as to necessitate a cardi.

Enjoyed your comment about "can" and "may". So true. Of course he could, but should he ? Unfortunately two semastresses told me they couldn't take in the "seat of his pants"; I'm sure there must be some (non jeans type) that fit him properly somewhere but after trying to find some at five different men's stores plus Sears, have come up "zilch".

I am becoming quite discouraged, seeing him waste away but still wanting to take this cruise as a dream come true. We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and this fulfills a promise he made me years ago. I'd be more than willing to forego the cruise but he insists so am trying to make it as pleasant as possible and have him look as good as possible. Still am in a quandary about his trousers . Will try to contact more seamstresses (BTW, drycleaners here don't do repairs)

Thanks again for your input.

My DS does not wear dress pants. He has worn black jeans every formal night on all our Carnival and NCL cruises; no problem. But we've never traveled on Celebrity so I don't know what they may say.

Have you tried Dockers for him? I would also suggest you try shopping at J.C. Penny. Kohl's, Macy's or whatever large department store is in your area. I know that Macy's used to do free alterations, but that was years ago.

Good luck in your search for pants for the DH. I wish him good health and that you both have a wonderful cruise.:D

Please come back and let us know if you find pants for him. If not have him wear the black jeans...the worst they can do is not let him in and you can eat somewhere else on the ship. Again, good luck and good wishes for a great cruise.:)

Edited by mousey

Dear Mousey,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging reply. We live in af rozen tundra of Canada where there is no Penny's, Macy's, etc. Only Sears and believe me I've tried that.

As for Dockers, yes, have tried those. Both classic and slim fit. DH used to wear them all the time and has a cupboard full of them . But now, with his weight loss they don't fit him at all. He's gone from a 42 to a 34 and the 34 still has much too much material in the beam. The seamstress at Sears has told me she won't even try to repair them to have a decent fit.

Guess we'll have to go with the black jeans and hope the powers that be at Celebreity don't turn him away. This is our first cruise with X; hope it turns out to be a great experience although I'm rather leery

I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

So you have black jeans that fit but no black trousers that will fit? What brand are the jeans and do they make a trouser? Have you tried slim fit or juniors trousers? I find it very difficult to believe that there are jeans that fit but nothing else.

My husband prefers a slim fit so I've definitely searched! He's pretty skinny and not tall so thankfully he's easy to fit with a quick hem when needed. Some brands are closer fitting than others.....

I haven't traveled on Celebrity so I do not know how strict their dining room policy is re: jeans. We did the Panama Canal on HAL in 2008 and my husband wore a tuxedo and I dressed up - I think we had 3 formal nights because it was a long(er) cruise....I had a wrap with me, not sure we ever had to use any warmth layers but I wouldn't travel without one anywhere - you never know.

Edited by Hoyaheel

We did the Panama Canal during April (not with X...no experience there) and, yes, it was hot but I'd say with your husband's health issues, it would be a good idea to throw in a lightweight jacket or windbreaker at least. That would be lighter to pack than a cardi but offer some protection. It did rain a little on us. My husband mostly wore knit shirts with short sleeves. When I sat out on the balcony at night, often I'd have a light sweater on because of the breezes. I'm wondering since your husband is down to a 34, about checking the Young Men's departments (not Boys) if you have one of those anywhere near. Just a thought. It's a marvelous trip and I know it will be a wonderful time and memories for you even though health is not what you wish. Congratulations on the 50th.

Have you tried any on line shopping? Maybe you could find something that fits there.

If you do go the route of jeans, I think it would help the over all look it the jacket and shirt are sharp looking. May be a nice hankie in the jacket pocket, great looking tie. Dress it up (like us ladies do with the little black dress). A flower in the lapel, or a pin. I am sure he will look great.

To all posters:

Thanks for all your help. I'm almost sorry I asked because you've taken your time to try and help me find a solution and, as you can see, they haven't worked. The only one I haven't tried is the junior or younger men's department because, in our town, they do not carry dress pants but only jeans. That's where I bought them.

These are the brands of trousers he tried on unsuccessfully: Dockers, Egara, Joseph & Feiss, Arnold Palmer, Pierre Cardin,Haggar, Protocol.He has tried slim fit . Also low waist which doesn't fit at all.

The jeans that fit him are Lois brand.

He usually always wears suspenders but they only serve to keep his pants around his waist.Plus, it's a habit with him. He's like Larry King and loves "braces". Unfortunately,they don't help at all with the droop. Actually he has no "booty", just skin and bones.

Will follow the kind advice about a windbreaker. Believe me, I appreciate your suggestions. I do honestly believe I've tried mostly everything and posted this thread in a fit of discouragement because DH so wants to look nice. It's sad to see a man who was always almost impeccable in demeanor reduced to wearing jeans which, in general, he doesn't like.

To all posters:

Thanks for all your help. I'm almost sorry I asked because you've taken your time to try and help me find a solution and, as you can see, they haven't worked. The only one I haven't tried is the junior or younger men's department because, in our town, they do not carry dress pants but only jeans. That's where I bought them..................

Will follow the kind advice about a windbreaker. Believe me, I appreciate your suggestions. I do honestly believe I've tried mostly everything and posted this thread in a fit of discouragement because DH so wants to look nice. It's sad to see a man who was always almost impeccable in demeanor reduced to wearing jeans which, in general, he doesn't like.

Jocelyn, the people on the boards are a helpful group. We wish we could come up with a solution for your husband; maybe one will surface yet!

This is meant to be a fun but caring remark so I hope it's not interpreted wrong since he is ill and I do acknowledge that......Maybe your husband can look on this time as being a chance to kind of try-to-enjoy different apparel even if it's not what he has liked. He can experience cowboy dress-up or a Texas tuxedo. Jeans and a jacket are considered "dressed up" in some parts of the world/US and can be quite comfy. Heck, he might come up with other additions and find he has an eccentric character hiding inside. (My husband also hates jeans but sadly, could never have been described as impeccable or fashionable!) I know this is very difficult on you, also, trying to take care and find what he needs and wants. Good luck to you both.

A few suggestions:

1) could he rent a tuxedo from a local shop (many offer extended rentals for essentially the price of a 1 night deal). They may have access to many sizes and they definitely will have a variety of pants styles.

2) my husband is very slim (32 inch waist and no butt to speak of) and we have found well fitting pants at Banana Republic (for a high end option) and H&M (trendy and in expensive).

3) consider contacting a higher end department store and explaining your husband's desires and mobility issues. Many have "private shopping" hours or events where the store is essentially empty and a personal shopper can help you find what you need. My mother (who is uncomfortable trying on clothing in public) has used this service to find a well fitting and age appropriate evening gown.

Finally, I want to complement you on your obvious goal of making the vacation special. I hope your husband finds something he feels comfortable on and you enjoy your anniversary!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This might seem silly (and possibly uncomfortable) but what if he wore a pair of padded bike shorts under his clothes? Kind of like those derriere enhancers ladies wore in the 1890's? I can see how it would be difficult to alter a pair of pants in that area. Maybe the padded shorts would fill him out a bit and give him more "bummage"? Or he can do what some of us do to hide our bums (whether abundant or not) and wear a jacket to hid it (and his Justin Bieber pants).

Most importantly, you should go and have a wonderful time. You are going on this trip to celebrate your marriage and your life together - not to be in a fashion show.

Old Navy has a couple of slim styles, they have khakis in several colors and twill pants as well. They might be a little casual but maybe that would work better than dress trouser - the stiffer material might be better to avoid drooping ;)

As a previous poster suggested, try Banana Republic. They have several styles and fits.

Thanks for the tips re Old Navy & Banana Republic. Unfortunately, they are unavailable here.Sears, Costco, Walmart, Target are the stores we have here for men's apparel plus couple of private men's stores which, believe me, I have tried. I found one pair of pants that could od but there were over $300, slighlt out of our budget.

You're on Celebrity? It's a more dressy line than most, so a cardigan with a tie on formal night might look out of place. Now, if he pairs those black jeans, as long as they are the dark jeans that aren't those washed out kind, with a sport jacket and tie, he'd be good to go.

Have you thought of trying slacks that are more knit rather than woven fabric? I'm thinking something with more stretch and polyester in them than khaki fabric.

I've noticed that many, many men have no behinds, very flat, and that their slacks tend to sag a bit. But there's no real problem with that. I don't know why a good seamstress couldn't take the slacks in a bit in the behind---I've done that for my mom, who had absolutely no behind, and it was easy to just take it in at the seam in the back.

Thanks for the tips re Old Navy & Banana Republic. Unfortunately, they are unavailable here.Sears, Costco, Walmart, Target are the stores we have here for men's apparel plus couple of private men's stores which, believe me, I have tried. I found one pair of pants that could od but there were over $300, slighlt out of our budget.

Costco has some nice, very light weight pants that just came in the stores in Canada. They are available in either black or beige. I can't remember but they are either Dockers (not like regular Docker pants) or they are made by Haggar. They are a slim fit and they are very versatile - very light weight, washable, wrinkle free. They can look dressy with a jacket. They remind me of an more expensive tailored golf pant line. And very reasonably priced - about $30. They are a slimmer fit. You may find success with them and the good return policy helps. I wish you and your husband all the best and hope that you have a wonderful cruise together and a Happy Anniversary.

Hi to Jocelysue,

Celebrity is my usual line, & the jeans probably would not work when paired with a cardigan, that's for the MDR only, I would recommend either the black slacks worn w/suspenders & his cardigan w/bow tie, or the black jeans with a blazer if that will work on him, I think you might have mentioned that he can't wear jackets on another thread... :) A little talk with the Maitre D on the first night & I almost guarantee you won't have a problem.

The only place that Celebrity asks for formal wear is in the MDR, every other restaurant will be smart casual, but there will still be a good mix of dressed up people too.

For all other nights, polo or golf shirts are fine, with whatever long pants or jeans work for him.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, we're sending my folks on their first Celebrity cruise to Alaska this Sept, & with both my folks not in the best of health I totally understand your dilemma.

As someone that is critically ill and losing weight because of it I just want to throw out one more thought. Stop worrying about how his butt looks and just wear what is needed to do the things that are important to you. Completing my bucket is far more important to me than worrying about what others think about how my clothes fit. With a nice jacket I don't think anyone is really going to be staying at his butt anyways. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As someone that is critically ill and losing weight because of it I just want to throw out one more thought. Stop worrying about how his butt looks and just wear what is needed to do the things that are important to you. Completing my bucket is far more important to me than worrying about what others think about how my clothes fit. With a nice jacket I don't think anyone is really going to be staying at his butt anyways. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Great point and attitude! Thanks.

If it would make the OP, expl

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Oops. I hit post too soon.

If it will make the OP feel better, then she could explain her situation once on board. I cannot possibly see anyone turning him away because he can't dress to the nines because of illness.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Since the OP posted that her husband has taken pride in is what he wears, not worrying about what you wear might not be an attitude that is enjoyable to him.

It sounds like you have tried so hard to help him. Since there is a mobility issue going to stores or a talior is not the answer.... Since it is a special occasion can you find a talior or seamstress that will come to you home to take measurements to alter pants?

Edited by smoothdancer

What about taking the jeans that fit to a tailor/seamstress and having a pair of pants made to those measurements? I'm not sure how expensive that would be, but maybe it would be worth it to have one pair of dress pants.