Titanic Resting Place

annmarz

We basically passed right over the spot. The Captain made a special announcement that recounted the timeline of the accident. There was no ceremony. More of an informational announcement. They also marked the site of the collision and debris field on the paper chart that was updated daily near the pool on deck 12 midships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being a long-time Titanic buff, I am curious as to whether the QM2 goes near the spot where the Titanic sank. Is this commemorated on the crossing?

We've done three Westbound crossings thus far. In 1999, on the QE2, there was an announcement and the captain tossed a wreath into the seas. IN 2008, on the QM2, there was no announcement - just a few of us shivering on deck. (I believe they noted the time in the daily programme). This past May, I recall no mention at all.

Perhaps it depends upon the Captain (and deck conditions). I would like to see the ceremony made permanent. (Note, in 1999, the movie Titanic was still very popular - in fact, it regularly filled the onboard theatre)

Edited by MarkBearSF

On each of my QM2 crossings Titanic has been mentioned both in the Daily Programme, and in the Captain's Noon announcement. Something along the lines of "Today we will pass within xxx nautical miles of the site of the Titanic disaster/sinking".

Never seen a wreath ceremony, but I wonder if that is done only when the ship is directly above/very close to the site, rather than many miles away, as has been the case on each of my crossings.

I think you are booked on a WB QM2 crossing next month annmarz? :)

You'd love walking the broad promenade deck, mid-ocean, I'm certain.

The vast, ever-changing, great north Atlantic surrounding the ship, day after day, is... beyond my powers of description. Can't wait for my next crossing on QM2 :)

Have the most wonderful time, a huge Bon Voyage :) , and listen/look out for mention of the Titanic.

Edited by pepperrn

Of the 2 roundtrip crossings I did in 2007 and 2009 NY-Southampton-NY, I remember that on one of them the Captain of the QM2 announced that the QM2 would sail exactly 142 miles North of the Titanic wreck site but I can't remember at which time. When I am aboard the QM2 next month for another NY-Southampton-NY roundtrip crossing I must remember to make note of this. The information concerning of how close to the Titanic wreck site the QM2 will sail by is usually given by the Captain at the time of the noon announcements after the 12:00 PM sounding of the QM2's whistle. Regards,Jerry

I have seen it commemorated with a short service and wreath laying during a transatlantic crossing however it was because the ship was in the area on the anniversary of the sinking i.e. 15th April.

Unfortunately with the world voyages extended into May now, QM2 is not on the North Atlantic during April so opportunities to see a similar anniversary event are less likely.

As others have said there is mention of the sinking during the noon announcement from the bridge on the day you are nearest to the wreck.

M-AR

Former Commodore Warner told us that the QM2 does not normally pass over the site, but many miles north of it.

On our e/b crossing on QE2 in April 2008, the ship passed directly over the Titanic on the anniversary of the day that it struck the iceberg: 14th April. The ceremony was held at the stern at approximately 5:00 p.m. Hundreds of passengers attended despite the steady rain. Some of the ship's officers participated in the tossing of a wreath, followed by many passengers placing their own floral tributes on the sea. A minute's silence was requested.

On one of our crossings, a tablemate was a great-nephew of a Titanic crew member (a baker who did not survive). They had made arrangements for a brief memorial as we passed near/over and were taken by an officer down to the lowest open deck at the stern (a crew area) for it. It was very interesting to hear the stories of the family and how they found about the sinking (White Star for some reason telegraphed the local squire rather than the family directly, and the man's father was called up to the manor to get the first word).

on a technical note, here's the 'big chart' that tracked our progress during a June west trip. The TITANIC location is noted .... note that it is in a "hashed" area of the chart. That is the 'ice berg area' patrolled by the International Ice Patrol (a mission of the US Coast Guard) as a result of the TITANIC. The exact area is updated every couple of days based on aircraft observations and tracking. During this crossing the Captain had announced our course would be well to the south of the TITANIC site due to the ice boundary, but as we got closer a revised south boundary allowed the course to be modified to the north, taking us closer and shortening the trip (saving fuel)

100_0073_zpsflljatbs.jpg

our closest point of approach to the location happened in the wee hours of the morning as I recall so nothing special happened other than the Captain mentioning we would pass the point . . . alto Mrs actually thought it curious that TITANIC was mentioned EVERY DAY in the noon announcement. If one was nervous about sailing I'd image that could give 'em the willies!

Edited by Capt_BJ

on a technical note, here's the 'big chart' that tracked our progress during a June west trip. The TITANIC location is noted .... note that it is in a "hashed" area of the chart. That is the 'ice berg area' patrolled by the International Ice Patrol (a mission of the US Coast Guard) as a result of the TITANIC. The exact area is updated every couple of days based on aircraft observations and tracking. During this crossing the Captain had announced our course would be well to the south of the TITANIC site due to the ice boundary, but as we got closer a revised south boundary allowed the course to be modified to the north, taking us closer and shortening the trip (saving fuel)

100_0073_zpsflljatbs.jpg

our closest point of approach to the location happened in the wee hours of the morning as I recall so nothing special happened other than the Captain mentioning we would pass the point . . . alto Mrs actually thought it curious that TITANIC was mentioned EVERY DAY in the noon announcement. If one was nervous about sailing I'd image that could give 'em the willies!

Capt. BJ, Thanks for showing us the map of the North Atlantic. About the Captain mentioning the Titanic everyday during the noon announcements and that some passengers may get the willies hearing the name Titanic, I remember reading somewhere that I think it was in the Spring of 1998 the movie Titanic was shown aboard the QE2. I guess some of the QE2's passengers did not get the willies watching the movie Titanic aboard the QE2 but there must have been some other passengers aboard QE2 at that time that chose not to see the movie Titanic because of the fear of getting the willies while watching the movie Titanic aboard the QE2 . Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Good afternoon, this is your Captain speaking

we're presently number 3 for takeoff and will be on our way shortly

as we begin our climb look out your windows and you'll see the Hudson River and the very spot where Captain Sully successfully landed in the river after both engines of his aircraft shut down ....

Have a nice day and thank you for flying with us.

If not for the 1997 Titanic movie QM2 would not exist.

If the Titanic resting place is mentioned on every voyage it's because a lot of passengers ask about it. Just as the morgue is shown on every Behind the Scenes tour because a lot of passengers ask about it.

That is true and here is a link to an article from the globe and mail that claims that fact concerning the movie Titanic and Carnival Corp. buying the Cunard Line to build the QM2 because of the popularity of the movie Titanic http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/marketing/white-star-name-sails-on-without-titanic/article4099917/ Another question I have to ask is does anyone here know if the other Titanic movie A Night to Remember was ever shown aboard the original Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth? Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

HEY CUNARD FANS

QM2 would not exist if not for the movie TITANIC ......

comment?

btw ... construction began WHEN??????

The keel for the QM2 was laid down in a shipyard in France on July 4,2002. And I am still asking the question that was the other Titanic movie A Night to Remember ever played aboard the original Queen Mary and the original Queen Elizabeth? Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

. . . alto Mrs actually thought it curious that TITANIC was mentioned EVERY DAY in the noon announcement. If one was nervous about sailing I'd image that could give 'em the willies!

(Thread drift alert)

We recently flew transatlantic on American Airlines and on the navigation display in the seat back monitors they had locations of notable shipwrecks (Titanic, Andrea Doria, etc. etc.). I thought this was an unusual bit of information for an airline display.

HEY CUNARD FANS

QM2 would not exist if not for the movie TITANIC ......

comment?

btw ... construction began WHEN??????

"Project Queen Mary" was announced in 1998 when Carnival bought Cunard. Some would have preferred this.

As for "A Night to Remember", don't know but in their later career both ships had a cinema on board.

"Project Queen Mary" was announced in 1998 when Carnival bought Cunard. Some would have preferred this.

As for "A Night to Remember", don't know but in their later career both ships had a cinema on board.

I have heard that many ship fans wrote to Stephen Payne the naval architect who designed the Queen Mary 2, requesting that the Queen Mary 2 be designed and built with 3 funnels like on the original Queen Mary. Stephen said that having 3 funnels on top of the QM2 was not feasible because the 2 additional funnels would take up space on top of the ship that can be used to put swimming pools, shuffle board courts and other things. Regards,Jerry

I have heard that many ship fans wrote to Stephen Payne the naval architect who designed the Queen Mary 2, requesting that the Queen Mary 2 be designed and built with 3 funnels like on the original Queen Mary. Stephen said that having 3 funnels on top of the QM2 was not feasible because the 2 additional funnels would take up space on top of the ship that can be used to put swimming pools, shuffle board courts and other things. Regards,Jerry
As I'm sure you know Cruise Liner Fan, Cunard have never had a ship built for the company fitted with a dummy funnel (or in these requests above, two).

I don't suppose Stephen Payne wanted (or needed) to break that tradition.

Even when it was fashionable to have them, Cunard didn't.

Queen Mary had three working funnels, Normandie's aft-most was a fake.

Titanic's own fourth/aft funnel was there merely to "up" the funnel count, it wasn't connected to a boiler.

(Cunard did, however, acquire/inherit at least one ship with a dummy funnel (Imperator/Berengaria)).

There are some who say that Mauretania, Lusitania and Aquitania could easily have been built with only three funnels, and that may be so. However, the fourth funnel fitted to each vessel was a "working" example connected to boilers, not a fake.

Edited by pepperrn