Cruising with scuba divers. Best Islands for diving?

icunrse

I am taking a cruise with my husband and son, who are both certified scuba divers (I am a beach bum ;)). We are on the Valor from 3/5-3/12 going to Cozumel, Belize, Mahoghany Bay (Roatan), and Costa Maya. I figure they can dive in 2 islands, so then we can have family fun in the other 2 islands. If anyone has experience in these islands, which 2 would you pick for the best diving? I am the "unofficial cruise director" for our trip :D and appreciate any help! Thanks!

I have dove at all 4. Roatan is my favorite by far, followed by Cozumel. Costa Maya would be my 3rd choice and Belize would be dead last. I know a lot people talk about how great the diving is in Belize, but you really can't get to the good dive sites on a cruise excursion. I have dove twice in Belize while on a cruise and both dives were not that great.

Edited by Big Tillie

On that itinerary, we like Cozumel and Roatan. At Cozumel we do our own thing w/ plenty of time to spare. We can usually get a (2) tank dive in and still have time to shop around. At Roatan we have done private and CCL. CCL was about the same price. With them, they provide the transportation too. They use Anthony's Key Dive Resort. It was a good operation. Never tried diving at Costa Maya. We personally did not care for Belize. Have fun choosing! Mike

Cozumel drift dives are amazung. The only argument for not diving in Roatan is that the snorkeling is spectacular right off the beach. I have enjoyed diving in Belize as well.

Agreed! Going to Roatan in May for a week of diving. Haven't dove in Belize but since there is more to do in Roatan than Belize maybe the OP should have family dive in Belize and Cozumel. BTW, Sea Robin is excellent dive op in Cozumel!

Thank you everyone! I know Roatan was supposed to be pretty good diving, so we were pretty set on that one. It's just the second island. Toss up between Cozumel and Belize. I guess I have to ask the boys to decide since they are the ones who will be doing it. Thank you again for the help.

If I can muddy the waters, I'd put in a pitch for Costa Maya (Mahahual). It's the least crowded diving, the diving is as good as any of the three others, and - since you're the beach type, there's a great beach right there. A tremendous number of people from the ship never leave the "Costa Maya" pier shops. It's a $2.00 per person cab ride to Mahahual, and - while it's growing there - it's still nice, and relatively uncrowded, even when the ship is in. You can contact Katherine and Abel at Gypsea Divers (http://www.gypseadivers.com). The day we were there - on the ship - we were the only two divers on the first dive, and had one other join us on the second.

Since they launch their boat from the beach, and return there for the surface interval, more fun for you, cause you can be right there on the beach too.

Harris

Denver, CO

I've been to all four several times. Our favorite was Costa Maya, followed by Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel, in that order.

I also vote for Gypsea Divers, they are great! My husband and I plan on going there for a week or so this year.

Edited by Laurie S.

• 1 month later...

Of the 4 stops mentioned I would rate Cozumel as the best then Roatan and Costa Maya then Belize for diving from a cruise. The best diving in Belize is a long boat ride from Belize City where the cruise ships anchor. I love the drift diving and BIG coral in Cozumel. The dive operator that the cruise lines in Roatan is Anthony's Key Resort and from my one experience with them I would never dive with them again. If the time in Cozumel works you may want to book your dive through a private operator to get better dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cozumel and Roatan.... best diving in the Caribbean. Period.

Belize I would do family stuff, go do the cave tubing or ruins or beach.

If you want them to check out the diving at either of the two places I suggested, I have dozens of videos and photos. see my website listed below my signature. We have not done diving from ship at either location, we did week long dive trips to them and have 200+ dives in Cozumel, about 50 from Roatan. As you can see, we return to dive those places for a reason.

Thanks everyone! I went with Belize and Roatan for my diving boys. I will be traveling with my mother who has a weak heart, I didn't want her to have to do much walking and she only requested beach chair on a beach for our excursions :) I am sure the boys will have fun no matter where they are.

• 2 months later...

I used Scuba Roatan a couple of years ago and they were a good operator. They Arranged transport, pickup off the pier grounds, to their shop on the West end and back to the port, at my cost. Full Service operator, carried and set up all gear and went back to the shop for the SI. We had to wade out to the boat climb the boat ladder to get into the boat and down the ladder and back in to shore as there was no dock/pier, if this 68 year old man can manage it can't be to bad.

I'm trying to decide who to book with in Roatan. Who would you recommend? RCI is booked and they use Black Pearl Divers.

My husband loved Scuba Roatan and plans to use them again this winter.