Barcelona: Airport to Ship

We booked a 12 night mediterranean cruise may of 2016 and I was wondering how long it takes from the time you land to get to the cruise ship. The reason why I ask is that we can get a direct flight from Montreal to Barcelona pretty cheap with Air Transat but the plane lands at noon and the ship sails at 5pm. I know that we have to be at the cruise terminal at 3:30pm at the latest. So, is 3 hours enough time to get through customs and get to the terminal? I know we are cutting it close and that if the plane is late we could be in trouble. But, it is a direct flight and all the other flights have long layovers.

I don't think it normally would be a huge problem, but things happen that can cause delays. Personally we make it a rule to always fly in a day early and pick a reasonable hotel to stay in overnight that's fairly close to the port. You can start your day on the ship so much more relaxed than if you spent all day fighting the crowds at the airport and in traffic...but that's just us...we find it's worth it to have that day to decompress before the start of the cruise...especially when you are flying to Europe and are going to arrive feeling like the walking dead if you haven't slept on the plane (like me)...good luck and enjoy your cruise

It's doable, but I wouldn't chance it. It took us about 90 minutes to get through customs and get our luggage a few years ago. We did hit some traffic leaving the airport. It's not that far of a drive though.

You're here asking for advice and here is mine: I would never, ever do that. Flying in the same day as embarkation is risky but add "international" to the mix and in my opinion, you could be setting yourself up to miss this cruise you have so painstakingly saved for and planned for, and looked forward to. I would take the long layovers - the stress alone for same-day flight would be enough to do me in before I even got there.

Please, please, I beg you to reconsider this. Fly in one or two days early if you can. Barcelona is a fabulous city for some pre-cruise exploration.

To answer your question directly, the time to drive between the two points is about 30 minutes or so in normal traffic.

If you still decide to do this, I hope you have a Plan B. You may need it.

We booked a 12 night mediterranean cruise may of 2016 and I was wondering how long it takes from the time you land to get to the cruise ship. The reason why I ask is that we can get a direct flight from Montreal to Barcelona pretty cheap with Air Transat but the plane lands at noon and the ship sails at 5pm. I know that we have to be at the cruise terminal at 3:30pm at the latest. So, is 3 hours enough time to get through customs and get to the terminal? I know we are cutting it close and that if the plane is late we could be in trouble. But, it is a direct flight and all the other flights have long layovers.

Firstly I am surprised you can book flights for May 2016 yet. Most airlines only book around 300 days in advance.

This far out the flight times can easily be changed. We have had flights change by an hour before jut from reschedules, that doesn't even include delays. We don't even fly domestically the day of travel in case of issues, let alone transatlantic.

I would highly recommend the direct flight a day or even two in advance. You will not only miss out on a wonderful city, but will also have the jet lag to get over. If your itinerary is port intensive you will likely be worn out before you you even get to begin enjoying yourselves.

Edited by Spurschick

Yeah, I just looked - the flights are up but because this is a charter, there are very few dates to choose from. Looks like this flight only goes a few times a week.

OP, I would suggest another airline. Any charter flight that has difficulty like mechanical problems or delay of any kind usually means there is no other aircraft to take its place. I understand charters can be less expensive but for this wonderful Med cruise, I would not do this.

Yeah, I just looked - the flights are up but because this is a charter, there are very few dates to choose from. Looks like this flight only goes a few times a week.

OP, I would suggest another airline. Any charter flight that has difficulty like mechanical problems or delay of any kind usually means there is no other aircraft to take its place. I understand charters can be less expensive but for this wonderful Med cruise, I would not do this.

Thanks for the info. I agree, stay away from the charter if it is day of travel. For international flights Choice air are sometimes very competitive.

This far out the OP really doesn't need to rush to book. I would hold off until the airlines release regular schedules and prices in a couple of months and then look at the options.

Without knowing exact dates OP is sailing, air canada looks like only has direct flights on Fridays. I would therefore suggest original carrier a couple of days before departure, or connecting at a main hub as opposed to somewhere that only has one airline that goes direct. That way if there is an issue they may be able to get you there on one of the other airlines.

I believe the question is can she make it in time, not what you would do..Can someone answer her question without their opinion. sheeeeeeeeesh

No we can´t. Maybe you can, but non of us have a Crystal ball to tell the OP yes or no. So all one can give is an opinion and advice. Actually I think even the OP realizes that and the question is not yes or no, but what would you do. sheeeeeeeeesh

While I sometimes risk a rather Close call with flight times on the way back home, I never do this at the beginning of the trip. Afterall if I miss my flight back to work it´s not as big of a deal than missing my cruise;):p.

If your plane is scheduled to land at noon, we all know this is often enough not the time you are at the gate and ready to get off the plane. Then you have to wait for your bags and go through customs. Depending on the amount of incoming flights this can take some time.

Yes if all goes exactly like planned, you can make it. It can just take one traffic jam into the City to Change that yes in a NO.

I believe the question is can she make it in time, not what you would do..Can someone answer her question without their opinion. sheeeeeeeeesh

Just like tipping threads (or pick your favorite CC topic) any question about flying to a cruise always brings out the "fly in the day before" crowd.

To the OP, if you have faith that the flight will be on time, you can make the sailing.

Biker, who flies in they day of departure for domestic cruises and one day early when a long haul international flight is involved.

We have cruised from Barcelona many times. The average from scheduled landing time to port has been around 2 hours - collecting luggage, immigration and customs, taxi to port.

Not sure if you may need a little extra time at passport control being non Europeans.

As others have said, Barcelona is a beautiful city and if you can it is worth flying in 2 or 3 days earlier. Get a 2 day ticket on the hop on bus and explore.

Pete

We have cruised from Barcelona many times. The average from scheduled landing time to port has been around 2 hours - collecting luggage, immigration and customs, taxi to port.

Not sure if you may need a little extra time at passport control being non Europeans.

As others have said, Barcelona is a beautiful city and if you can it is worth flying in 2 or 3 days earlier. Get a 2 day ticket on the hop on bus and explore.

Pete.

After Rome, Barcelona is my favourite city in the world.

I've tried flying in from London arriving 1pm in Barcelona. :eek:

Wouldn't do that again!

I have checked and KLM have flights via Amsterdam for £562 round trip.

It arrives in at 12:20 so my advice would be is to do this but fly in the day before.

If you can't fly in the day before, then Delta have flights via JFK. It is a tight connection (1h30) but it arrives in Barcelona at 10:35am so it could be doable.

These flights would cost £659 round trip.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

The cruise we are doing is the May 14 - 26, 2016 one.

Unfortunately, the Air Transat flight does not have a flight on the Thursday night or we would book that one. We have to agree that it could be doable but if something happens with he plane then we would be out of luck. I think we will wait a few months to see what other flights we can get and leave on Thursday night instead. We will also check out Choice Air but a couple of times that family has booked through that, they only got to the ship about an hour before the cut off time. Do you know if the ship will wait if you book the flight through RCCL and it is late?

As a Canadian interested in your problem. Would something like KLM get you to Amsterdam earlier in the day and an earlier co0nnector on another airline? Would a Nexus card speed up customs on arrival? If so might be worth buying one.

The answer to her question is:

A) Yes you can

or

B) Probably not

Either of those answers are corrrect. Neither will help the poster without additional information. Folks are just helping.

Personally, I would never take a charter for the same day. There is no backup. Been on a half dozen charters. Most are late. Not providing that information to the OP is a bad choice.

As a Canadian interested in your problem. Would something like KLM get you to Amsterdam earlier in the day and an earlier co0nnector on another airline? Would a Nexus card speed up customs on arrival? If so might be worth buying one.

Nexus is only between USA and Canada

Probably not is not an answer.. How are you helping by giving her advice you would do is not answering the question.

Children please! As the wife of an airline pilot (and knowing the ins and outs of the industry) the answer is yes, in a perfect world. The Flt would need to leave on time, no guarantees there, you'd need to get your luggage in a timely fashion, get through customs and scoot to the ship. In a perfect world you will make your cruise b

Edited by krev

Could you do it? Prb. But I have three separate reasons why you shouldn't:

1). When I sailed from Barcelona the first time the times they gave us weren't quite right. As we always get to the pier a bit early we were safe, but when we got there they were closing up shop for checkin. Talk about giving you a rush of fear. As others have said - I always try to fly a day early just to cover my rear end.

2). Give yourself a day to adjust to the time zone. Come in the day before and power through it (try to stay awake until a normal bedtime) then crash at a hotel. Otherwise, you're likely to loose a day on your cruise to the sleep monster.

3). Barcelona is AMAZING. Go a couple of days early for that matter. Please, you won't regret taking a day or two on the hop on hop off bus. The first time we came in a day early and toured as much as we could after an 8am-ish arrival and into the next day before departure. I did a second med cruise leaving from Barcelona w/ a two nights ahead of time and there is still more I want to see and do there.

Judy