Travel insurance prices

esper10

Hi all, we cruise many times and always bought the insurance the cruise line offered. The other day we had to be in the emergency room and saw a very young lady who lived overseas had a very unfortunate situation of a bad fall. I started to think that may be just may be I need to look for more may be different insurance when we cruise especially if it is outside the US. I read different threads and checked few web sight. When I checked such as "insure my cruise " the prices we SO HIGH over $1,000.00 for 2 weeks cruise to the Caribbean for age 84 and 59 is this is the price? What other options do all of you use? How much is a yearly insurance cost? Any help is truly appropriate it.

Check out the cruise line's insurance. The premium is based on the price of the cruise and not your age. It does not cover independently booked air and the eemargency evac limit is low in my option, but it will probably be less expensive for you.

Independent travel insurance is age related and becomes prohibitively expensive when you are older. Cruise line insurance is based on the cost of the cruise and is not age dependent. And to answer your question, the cost of independent insurance starts going up at about age 60. By 80, the cost is almost unaffordable.

Geo Blue Trekker is an annual policy. You could also check with your auto insurance, I know that in some states, AAA sells annual travel policies. Annual policies have very low cancellation reimbursements, if any, though. They are primarily supplemental medical and medical evacuation.

Edited by Coralc

Independent travel insurance is age related and becomes prohibitively expensive when you are older. Cruise line insurance is based on the cost of the cruise and is not age dependent. And to answer your question, the cost of independent insurance starts going up at about age 60. By 80, the cost is almost unaffordable.

Geo Blue Trekker is an annual policy. You could also check with your auto insurance, I know that in some states, AAA sells annual travel policies. Annual policies have very low cancellation reimbursements, if any, though. They are primarily supplemental medical and medical evacuation.

Can I buy AAA insurance even if I didn't book the cruise through them? I buy the cruise line insurance always I just thought it is not enough according to few people

Can I buy AAA insurance even if I didn't book the cruise through them? I buy the cruise line insurance always I just thought it is not enough according to few people

You can always buy an annual policy from whomever you choose.

The cruise line insurance is fine, when it is combined with your own medical if it covers you internationally. It is a little light on medical evacuation and flights, but as I mentioned, independent travel insurance is very expensive when you are older. You are ahead of many people that don't purchase insurance at all.

Edited by Coralc

We have bought 3rd party private Ins. ( thru TheTripInsuranceStore) when traveling overseas...For the caribbean cruise's we purchase the cruiseline ins. and the flight ins. offered by the carrier we're flying. Age definitely becomes a factor at a certain point.

I'm considering a GeoBlue policy for our next overseas trip.

Interesting esper10. I think you probably should stick with the cruise line policies. The annual policy has an upper age limit too.

GeoBlue Trekker - Health and accident insurance for frequent international travel covering:

Up to $250,000 medical/$500,000 evacuation

Unlimited trips in a 364 day period (70 day max. per trip)

A choice of medical limits is available

Pre-existing conditions for both medical services and medical evacuation

Two levels of coverage are available: Essential and Choice

Available up to age 84.

Hi all, we cruise many times and always bought the insurance the cruise line offered. The other day we had to be in the emergency room and saw a very young lady who lived overseas had a very unfortunate situation of a bad fall. I started to think that may be just may be I need to look for more may be different insurance when we cruise especially if it is outside the US. I read different threads and checked few web sight. When I checked such as "insure my cruise " the prices we SO HIGH over $1,000.00 for 2 weeks cruise to the Caribbean for age 84 and 59 is this is the price? What other options do all of you use? How much is a yearly insurance cost? Any help is truly appropriate it.

Some credit card companies include travel insurance when you use it for cruise payment. You may want to call yours to verify. If they do provide, and you find the coverage limit not enough, you can buy an additional from a 3rd party for an incremental coverage. We don't travel without any trip insurance as the unexpected may happen.

You can get travel insurance from a third party at any time. I know that Travel Safe will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased 21 days from making your deposit. Please also remember that original Medicare does not cover you out of the US. You may have a supplemental policy that will cover you. Again many hospitals will not accept our insurance so you must pay upfront and then request reimbursement from your carriers. Travel Safe base there premiums on the cost of your trip and your age.

Cruise line insurance:

1. does not cover any pre cruise or post cruise travel that you book--like air, hotel, or rental car.

2. is insurance for issues on its own asset/cruise (conflict of interest)

3rd party insurance can cover your entire cruise vacation and its no conflict if there is a claim. We have received great customer service from CSA Travel Protection--including for a claim. And its been affordable but we are not 84.

Cruise line insurance:

1. does not cover any pre cruise or post cruise travel that you book--like air, hotel, or rental car.

2. is insurance for issues on its own asset/cruise (conflict of interest)

3rd party insurance can cover your entire cruise vacation and its no conflict if there is a claim. We have received great customer service from CSA Travel Protection--including for a claim. And its been affordable but we are not 84.

Many cruise line insurance plans WILL cover airfare not booked by them at no additional cost. This can be a huge savings if you're flying a long distance to catch the ship. For example, this is from Carnival:

"Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s, or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so

disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation"

This benefit along with the ability to cancel for ANY reason makes the cruise line's plan a good choice for many

Many cruise line insurance plans WILL cover airfare not booked by them at no additional cost. This can be a huge savings if you're flying a long distance to catch the ship. For example, this is from Carnival:

"Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member’s, Traveling Companion’s, or Business Partner’s Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Cruise Vacation is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so

disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation"

This benefit along with the ability to cancel for ANY reason makes the cruise line's plan a good choice for many

Thanks, cruiseco.

NO additional cost, regardless of cost of airfare?

This could be worth a lot for those traveling long distances in premium airline classes.

Do you happen to know if any of the cruise lines' CFAR coverage claims are paid as cash as opposed to a "credit for a future cruise"?

(Having a "credit" good only on that cruise line, with a time limit of something like a year, wouldn't work for a lot of people. And if not, "just in case" there is another claim made when taking a cruise paid for by such a credit, would that cruise automatically have coverage, or would that need to be paid for separately? And if a credit IS used, what would the "cost of the vacation" be, if a credit had been used? This just gets too "iffy" for us, plus we've already had good experience with two large claims paid by Travel Insured. I'm not sure the circumstances of the second claim - a travel interruption while overseas that did not require an end to the trip - would have been covered.)

The thing that worries me the most is if a person get sick during the cruise or trip such as A cruise to the Caribbean were we are planning to go. Would the cruise line insurance such as Royal Carbbean will pay for the medical bills and for the return home?

Thanks, cruiseco.

NO additional cost, regardless of cost of airfare?

This could be worth a lot for those traveling long distances in premium airline classes.

Do you happen to know if any of the cruise lines' CFAR coverage claims are paid as cash as

They do note "up to the amount in the schedule". I believe that amount is the cost of the cruise that's being insured. But it's a little vague. If you cancel your cruise the cost of the cruise would be covered by their "cancellation penalty waiver" and the cost of the independently booked air would be limited by the cost of thew cruise itself. So if you book a $799 cruise but paid $3000 for first-class air tickets you're probably going to get covered only for $799 of your air. But I'd suggest a call to them to verify that.

Do you happen to know if any of the cruise lines' CFAR coverage claims are paid as cash as opposed to a "credit for a future cruise"?

For all of the ones I'm aware of if you cancel for a COVERED reason, you're reimbursed in cash. If you cancel for a NON-covered reason you get the future cruise credit which I guess would be better than nothing, especially since this feature does not cost you more.

The thing that worries me the most is if a person get sick during the cruise or trip such as A cruise to the Caribbean were we are planning to go. Would the cruise line insurance such as Royal Carbbean will pay for the medical bills and for the return home?

No, it is not Royal Caribbean that will pay for the medical bills and medical evacuation if necessary. Rather, it will be the insurance company that is underwriting for Royal Caribbean. Royal will be assisting you in the claims with the insurance company. The amounts are also subject to the limits of the plan, which is also important.