SFO reminder

Flatbush Flyer

If you're headed our way, read today's note from United Airlines:

San Francisco runway work continues through the summer.

This summer, runway construction at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will reduce the number of active runways available for flight operations. United® and other airlines that serve San Francisco have worked closely with the FAA and the airport authority to minimize disruptions related to this important project.

Construction will begin in May and is estimated to be completed in September. During this period, you may find that there are fewer flights in our schedule, and there may be occasional construction-related delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
If you're headed our way, read today's note from United Airlines:

San Francisco runway work continues through the summer.

This summer, runway construction at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) will reduce the number of active runways available for flight operations. United® and other airlines that serve San Francisco have worked closely with the FAA and the airport authority to minimize disruptions related to this important project.

Construction will begin in May and is estimated to be completed in September. During this period, you may find that there are fewer flights in our schedule, and there may be occasional construction-related delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is the Oakland (OAK) Airport as well. It's actually the same distance from downtown San Francisco as the San Francisco Airport. While it's easier right now to take BART from SFO into San Francisco than Oakland (requires a bus transfer) the extension is almost done! Soon you can take BART directly from the Oakland airport:D

Oakland not a bad airport, though a little dated. Used a lot by Southwest. But most carriers have far fewer flights there than to SFO or SJC.

Edited by Fattony

Oakland not a bad airport, though a little dated. Used a lot by Southwest. But most carriers have far fewer flights there than to SFO or SJC.

Heck, American Airlines flat out pulled out of OAK. I guess via US Airways they now have a presence again, but they've been gone for a couple of years. It was a surprising move to me, to put all their eggs in SFO and SJC.

I've got a connection through SFO in 3 weeks. I'm not worried about it - what happens is what happens, plus it's on the "going home" leg of my trip. Too bad the AMEX Centurion Lounge isn't open yet...

Heck, American Airlines flat out pulled out of OAK. I guess via US Airways they now have a presence again, but they've been gone for a couple of years. It was a surprising move to me, to put all their eggs in SFO and SJC.

Similar to AA pulling out of LGB some years ago and BUR more recently. They've "returned" with the US merger. It will be interesting to see what happens at ONT, the suffering poor stepchild to LAX.

Similar to AA pulling out of LGB some years ago and BUR more recently. They've "returned" with the US merger. It will be interesting to see what happens at ONT, the suffering poor stepchild to LAX.

I really hope they don't pull out of ONT. Whenever I head up to Palmdale, which is somewhat regularly, I always like ONT. Even with BUR being closer, I like the drive through the desert that ONT brings, and I like the ONT-area hotels more than the BUR-area hotels. And it's a nice, clear, generally quiet airport. I absolutely love ONT, but the "poor stepchild" phrase is probably a good one for the airport. LAWA just seems to hate ONT. Doesn't help that the area got very badly impacted by the recession.

That all being said, now with US Airways, if AA does pull out, I'll simply connect through PHX. I tend to prefer that these days anyway.

Edited by Zach1213

Could not agree more, Zach re ONT. So much easier than LAX. I fly frequently from there for business on short hops (to OAK, LAS..) Southwest is about the only airline flying from there anymore. Such a shame.

-------------------------

Helen

All of the major airlines, and then some, fly out of ONT. International too. It's just smaller aircraft with, in some cases, less routes and frequencies. DL's year round 757s to Atlanta several times daily are gone, for example.

Edited by Zach1213

Southwest is about the only airline flying from there anymore. Such a shame.

Don't forget UPS :) ONT is a major hub and FedEx has a smaller but definite presence. New terminals were built about 15 years ago. They are great but like a deserted bowling alley. JetBlue pulled out about 10 years ago; so did Aeromexico but they've returned.

The cargo airlines fly 747's in and out of ONT. But LA World Airports (LAWA) that Zach mentioned, owns and operates both LAX and ONT. They promote and grow LAX at the expense of ONT. Government incompetence and arrogance at work; ONT would be perfect for more cargo, secondary airlines, and charters.

Edited by kenish