Foodie Question

Mudhen

We will be on the Mariner at the end of April doing a Med cruise. We board in Barcelona and then hit Marseille. We're all oyster lovers........Is this something we could request to have on board? Or is this something we need to do on shore? I know it's hard with any cruise line out of the East coast to get oysters/shell fish on shipboard due to US regs with tags and shell fish beds, etc. Don't know if Regent is different. If we need to do this on shore, any suggestions for a good "fruit de mer" spot near where the ship docks?

Thanks in advance,

Linda

And indeed you may find difficulty finding good oysters since you will be heading into May, the beginning of the "off-season" for oysters.

There is no "off season" for oysters any more. It used to be that "months without an "r" in the name" were "off season". Not now and not in the Mediterranean. Most fish restaurants near a port or in a port will have oysters all summer. Some of the best I have ever eaten I had in Beziers in July. There are HUGE oyster beds in the Etang de Thau (roughly between the Rhone and Sète) and production from these goes on all year.

If your cruise takes you anywhere near Cannes there is an amazing fish restaurant in the marina area at la Napoule - la Brocherie.

Gerry, we are not fortunate enough to get oysters year around. We live in a very big fishing area - lots of oysters, salmon, etc. but do not get oysters in months without an "R". Since Mudhen will be in the Med. on her cruise, it sounds like it will be possible to get fresh oysters on the ship.

There is no "off season" for oysters any more. It used to be that "months without an "r" in the name" were "off season". Not now and not in the Mediterranean. Most fish restaurants near a port or in a port will have oysters all summer. Some of the best I have ever eaten I had in Beziers in July. There are HUGE oyster beds in the Etang de Thau (roughly between the Rhone and Sète) and production from these goes on all year.

If your cruise takes you anywhere near Cannes there is an amazing fish restaurant in the marina area at la Napoule - la Brocherie.

Thank you for the correction; I was unaware that oysters are available in summer in the Med. Good news!

Very true Hambagahle,if you don't mind eating farmed oysters.commercially these are what are sold in a lot of restaurants and supermarkets in the med,in the summer....So if they are wild,the summer months have a red algae that blooms in warmer climates which can give out a toxin which can be absorbed by oysters.also oysters spawn in the summer and can be more 'fatty'..

As long as. I get a fresh clean,meaty oyster served on a bed of ice with a lemon on the side,I am happy...none of this Tabasco or chilli vinegar for me.spoils the flavour...

I guess it's a preference and you may well get oysters all summer...

I thought all oysters were farmed. That is, raised in oyster beds. Like in France. I had no idea there were wild ones. I suppose you have to go on safari to get them?

Seriously though - in Beziers in July I ordered oysters - the "menu" starter was 18 oysters and I love them! I asked how fresh they were. the waiter told me they were so fresh they had not yet been delivered and at that moment up rolls a little fourgonette and oysters and fish were off-loaded. They came from the beds near Sète and according to the waiter had been picked that morning. Delicious!!

I thought all oysters were farmed. That is, raised in oyster beds. Like in France. I had no idea there were wild ones. I suppose you have to go on safari to get them?

Seriously though - in Beziers in July I ordered oysters - the "menu" starter was 18 oysters and I love them! I asked how fresh they were. the waiter told me they were so fresh they had not yet been delivered and at that moment up rolls a little fourgonette and oysters and fish were off-loaded. They came from the beds near Sète and according to the waiter had been picked that morning. Delicious!!

I like the way you travel, Hambagahle.