Rental Car Drop Off Costs

mulewagon

We're thinking about a cruise from Miami. We're going to drive from Birmingham, Alabama, and were looking at renting a car. But on researching, it looks like the car rentals charge a $300 fee for a drop-off, each way!

I really don't like paying an extra $600. Is there any way around this?

Would it be less expensive to park the car during the cruise and not do two one-way rentals?

Great suggestion - it should work for any ten day or shorter cruise. But I am surprised at the amount of the drop off charge - which is far more than I have ever experienced, although it has been several years. It is worth spending an hour checking all rental companies.

What I'm finding is that the cheaper places charge a huge drop-off fee, and the more expensive places a smaller one, so the totals are similar. :(

I looked at renting and parking it for the cruise--that would be some savings, though not a great deal, at 20/night for Port of Miami parking.

May just put new tires on the old car, raise the insurance back to Comprehensive for the month, and give it some highway miles!

What I'm finding is that the cheaper places charge a huge drop-off fee, and the more expensive places a smaller one, so the totals are similar. :(

I looked at renting and parking it for the cruise--that would be some savings, though not a great deal, at 20/night for Port of Miami parking.

May just put new tires on the old car, raise the insurance back to Comprehensive for the month, and give it some highway miles!

Are you planning on staying at a hotel the night before the cruise? If so, maybe you can find one with free parking and a free (or inexpensive) shuttle to the cruise port.

One-way drop fees are pretty normal, but not always necessary. One has to shop around among all the majors (Sixt, Hertz, Avis, Alamom, Budget, Enterprise, etc). I just did a quick mock booking for a couple of dates in August and Alamo does not seem to charge any one-way fees. A good place to do some comparison shopping is at Kayak.com.

If you are taking a shorter cruise (10 days or less) it probably makes more sense to simply drive your own car, book a cruise,park, sleep deal. There are web sites like stay123.com that put packages together. For example, if you spend a pre cruise night at the Red Roof Inn near MIA they will give you 10 days free parking.

Hank

If you already own a car, and anticipate driving it much in future, putting decent tires on it and keeping it insured seems like a fairly common sense approach.

If you're a Costco member, try looking at car rental rates through their website. We've found they often have much lower rates to begin with and sometimes without a drop-off charge, depending on location.

Free hotel parking is a good idea! I'll look into that. Dollar Rent a Car is pretty cheap so that might work. :)

Amtrack is too long and expensive but Greyhound seems quite economical though it's also a long ride. Greyhound does have free wi-fi which is a basic requirement for our survival these days!

Roundtrip plane fare would be 850 according to a comparison site. Eeeeek! My mother and I are trying to get the most fun out of a limited budget so every hundred counts. That's why we're looking at Miami this time instead of N.O. It's further but we can get better prices on cruises with more ports.

(@navybankerteacher No, you don't keep comp on a nearly 20 year old car because you can never get back what you paid into it. The bit about the tires is humor.)

Free hotel parking is a good idea! I'll look into that. Dollar Rent a Car is pretty cheap so that might work. :)

Amtrack is too long and expensive but Greyhound seems quite economical though it's also a long ride. Greyhound does have free wi-fi which is a basic requirement for our survival these days!

Roundtrip plane fare would be 850 according to a comparison site. Eeeeek! My mother and I are trying to get the most fun out of a limited budget so every hundred counts. That's why we're looking at Miami this time instead of N.O. It's further but we can get better prices on cruises with more ports.

(@navybankerteacher No, you don't keep comp on a nearly 20 year old car because you can never get back what you paid into it. The bit about the tires is humor.)

While your cruise fare may be less out of MIA, is your total cost less by going to NO instead? Make sure you are comparing total out of pocket and not just the cruise fare.

While your cruise fare may be less out of MIA, is your total cost less by going to NO instead? Make sure you are comparing total out of pocket and not just the cruise fare.

Oh, yes, that's why I'm researching all this stuff! NO is further from the Caribbean so you don't have as many choices of ports, or as many ports per cruise. But we can get there on Amtrak which is quite cheap. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, yes, that's why I'm researching all this stuff! NO is further from the Caribbean so you don't have as many choices of ports, or as many ports per cruise. But we can get there on Amtrak which is quite cheap. Decisions, decisions...

But on NCL at least you can get four ports if you are willing to go to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. You are correct that no ships from NO go to the Caribbean at all unless on a repositioning cruise.

Check various rental companies. I have to rent a car in Sept OW. The company with the VERY VERY low price wanted over $100 in a one way fee. Another company had a higher price, but no added on OW fee, so paying $40 more for the rental is saving me over $40 in the end, by taking it rather than the super cheap rental and the added on OW fee.

Roundtrip plane fare would be 850 according to a comparison site.

Round trip fare to Ft Lauderdale for September flights on American Airlines starts at $297 PP. Maybe a little higher on the weekends.

When are you looking to take this trip?

Edited by thinfool

After much discussion, Mom decided on NO again because it's much easier and cheaper to get to.

But all this info about travel modes is very helpful and we'll use it in getting there! She likes the idea of renting a car and meandering back home at our leisure. We took the train last time and for the return to B'ham you have to leave at seven in the morning.

The Dream has really great water slides and hot tubs, and if I can't see as many countries I'll just have to do even better stuff! Gonna cave tube, gonna zipline, gonna snorkel!