Pinel Island transportation.

cancan

We went to Pinel about 10 years ago. Taxi to a very small dock and a

very small boat to transport you. Didn't seem to be a schedule. They

seemed to go when thay felt like it. The taxi didnt show up to drive us back.

We had a very stressful wait. We finally caught a ride with one of the excrusion

companies.

I would love to go back. Any suggestions to help me avoid stress? our ship doesn't

have a Pinel Excursion.

We had a very stressful wait. We finally caught a ride with one of the excrusion

companies.

I would love to go back. Any suggestions to help me avoid stress? our ship doesn't

have a Pinel Excursion.

We were at Pinel Island in 1992 on our first cruise on a cruise line (Carnival) sponsored excursion for a snorkel/beach break. We cruised again last May and St. Maarten was on of the islands we'd be visiting and we really wanted to get back to Pinel Island, but there were no excursions offered. We'd seen here on CC that it was very risky to rely on a cab. A month before our cruise, I saw a post on the St. Maarten/St. Martin port of call section where someone was looking for a nice, quiet beach and someone posted about Pinel Island and said it was the island's best kept secret. He is the one who let me know he and his family got to Pinel Island when they have a cruise to St. Maarten and gave me the link to the tour company they always use. It's called SXM Deals and I would definitely recommend them. The link to their website is: http://sxmdeals.com/. They have several other tours in addition to the two Pinel Island tours. The Pinel Island tours are listed toward the top of their page. There are two: Pinel Island Beach Break ($74.00 per person) and Pinel Guilded Snorkeling ($92.00 per person). We did the Pinel Island Beach Break since snorkeling (and use of equipment) was included. Isabelle, the gal who handles the snorkeling on Pinel Island, let us keep the snorkel equipment all day so we were allowed to snorkel on our own from the beach or we could go back to the main snorkeling area. On their website is an on-line chat to answer any questions or for assistance in booking. It was Michael who helped me when I inquired to see if there was availability since we booked only about a month before we'd be there. He was very helpful in explaining the costs an the instructions were very detailed. He sent us another email with the same detailed instructions and pictures on where exactly to meet. All we had to do was make sure we had everything we needed and show up. We had a wonderful day and a wonderful experience with SXM Deals.

There is another option to get there by renting a car (driving is like in the USA, on the right side of the road). We didn't want to do that since we were on vacation and deal with enough traffic where we live. I don't know what the cost would be to rent a car. I do know that the cost of loungers (2 loungers attached to one umbrella) cost $25.00 on Pinel Island. If you wanted to snorkel, I don't know how much it would cost to rent gear or you can bring your own if you have it.

The ferry (boat from Cul-de-Sac to Pinel Island) cost $7.00 (USD), per person, round trip. There is also a Nature Reserve Fee for anyone going to Pinel Island and that is $2.00 (USD), per person.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

companies.

have a Pinel Excursion.

Things have changed in 10 years. We went to Pinel island for the day, this past Saturday. The taxis group those going to Pinel with those going to orient beach @ $8pp. The ferry leaves @ 9:30am and every half hour after that. Return ferry is every hour after 1pm. Ask your cab driver to pick you up at a certain time & someone will be waiting there for you. It has become a popular location. Our ship left at 5pm so we asked the cabbie to pick us up at 3pm. We took the 3pm ferry back -it's less than 10 minute ferry ride. Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Ferry is $10pp round trip. We had a FABULOUS day in paradise. Hope you enjoy it as well! :)

Things have changed in 10 years. We went to Pinel island for the day, this past Saturday. The taxis group those going to Pinel with those going to orient beach @ $8pp. The ferry leaves @ 9:30am and every half hour after that. Return ferry is every hour after 1pm. Ask your cab driver to pick you up at a certain time & someone will be waiting there for you. It has become a popular location. Our ship left at 5pm so we asked the cabbie to pick us up at 3pm. We took the 3pm ferry back -it's less than 10 minute ferry ride. Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Ferry is $10pp round trip. We had a FABULOUS day in paradise. Hope you enjoy it as well! :)

This is good to hear. Saturday is a rather slow ship day though. Anyone try this when there were 5 or more ships in port and the taxi drivers don't have to go out of their way to find fares?

• 3 weeks later...
The ferry leaves @ 9:30am and every half hour after that. Return ferry is every hour after 1pm. Ask your cab driver to pick you up at a certain time & someone will be waiting there for you. It has become a popular location. Our ship left at 5pm so we asked the cabbie to pick us up at 3pm. We took the 3pm ferry back -it's less than 10 minute ferry ride. Got back to the ship in plenty of time. Ferry is $10pp round trip. We had a FABULOUS day in paradise. Hope you enjoy it as well! :)

Just wondering if our plan of going to Pinel in the morning and then heading down to Maho beach to see a couple planes land would be feasible? You mention the ferry to come back starts at 1, how long would it take to get to Maho if we took the 1 pm ferry back?

It was suggested by a few people I know to go to Pinel for snorkeling, but I really really want to go to Maho for the planes... anyone know if it could be done and be "worth it"?

We're in port from 8am-6pm.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just wondering if our plan of going to Pinel in the morning and then heading down to Maho beach to see a couple planes land would be feasible? You mention the ferry to come back starts at 1, how long would it take to get to Maho if we took the 1 pm ferry back?

It was suggested by a few people I know to go to Pinel for snorkeling, but I really really want to go to Maho for the planes... anyone know if it could be done and be "worth it"?

We're in port from 8am-6pm.

Pretty much complete opposite ends of the island and way too much time on the road stuck in traffic to me.

If I were you I would do some research on Mullet Beach or even Simpson Bay beach and consider combining either of these beaches with Maho.

Taxi less than $20 pp/rt from cruise ship pier to French Cul-de Sac Ferry $10 pp/rt I was there last Wednesday. On the 1st ferry at 9am. Met my sweetie at Kakao about 12:30 for afternoon at Orient Beach. I'd maybe just stay at Pinel Island all day next time. Beautiful place! Little beach bar. Not crowded even with 6 cruise ships in port!

Taxi less than $20 pp/rt from cruise ship pier to French Cul-de Sac Ferry $10 pp/rt I was there last Wednesday. On the 1st ferry at 9am. Met my sweetie at Kakao about 12:30 for afternoon at Orient Beach. I'd maybe just stay at Pinel Island all day next time. Beautiful place! Little beach bar. Not crowded even with 6 cruise ships in port!

Hi - can you tell me if there are any kind of facilities on Pinel, just for a bathroom/changing area?

We were there June 2012 and they had bathrooms by the little restaurant. Our plan is to return there this coming June. I am encouraged to hear that the taxis are making this a more regular/reliable stop. When we went in 2012 I had arranged a private tour with Bernards so we could customize our tour and stop there and not worry about transportation. This time around, our feeling is much the same as GoonerBill's and we just want to stay there for the day. It was the perfect beach experience and the bar/restaurant are great. They even have iguanas running around! I would love to simply catch a taxi rather than shelling out for a full tour.

You can rent kayaks or stand up paddle boards from Caribbean Paddling http://www.caribbeanpaddling.com

I just confirmed my reservation with them for our up coming trip. The reservation process was very easy, pricing is great as well. From all of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was sold right away; 15 minute paddle from the shop across to Pinel; you can even stop on a little bitty island on the way over.

And as I said, pricing is great; we are renting two 1-3 person sea kayaks (they have a front seat, middle seat, and back seat, so they can be paddled by one person sitting in the middle or two people sitting front and back). The rental is for 6 hours, $30 per kayak, for a total of $60 for six hours.

The cost for the kayaks, added to the cost of a taxi ($15/pp for two or $9/pp, a total off $36/each way, $72 plus tip total for our group) still puts us at a comfortable place, expense-wise.

I will post a review of the whole experience when we return, but it certainly is off to a great start! (Caribbean Paddling is owner operated as well, a gentleman named Oz, for whom this is clearly both a labor of love and a passion!)

We were there June 2012 and they had bathrooms by the little restaurant. Our plan is to return there this coming June. I am encouraged to hear that the taxis are making this a more regular/reliable stop. When we went in 2012 I had arranged a private tour with Bernards so we could customize our tour and stop there and not worry about transportation. This time around, our feeling is much the same as GoonerBill's and we just want to stay there for the day. It was the perfect beach experience and the bar/restaurant are great. They even have iguanas running around! I would love to simply catch a taxi rather than shelling out for a full tour.

I would just freak if I was stranded out at the Cul de Sac if I spent the whole day at Pinel Island if I had a ship to catch.

I second the vote for kayaks! We just did this last week and had an amazing time.

I prearranged a cab driver (I did a google search, but if you PM me I will give you his contact info)and we paid him when he returned to pick us up (his idea). Oz, the owner of Caribbean Paddling, even called the cab driver to make sure he was coming.

It was a simply wonderful day in paradise.

Another less stressful way of getting to Pinel Island is with Robinsons or Captain Bob's speedboat tours. We took Robinson's tours last month, we made two snorkel stops, then lunch at Pinel Island and then another brief stop at a private beach and finally to Maho to see the planes fly over our head in the boat. Although you only have about an hour at Pinel, a delicious lunch was included. You had just enough time to wander about the island. I would highly recommend this alternative at 109pp. I noticed that the lunches themselves were 18-20 euros! (about $30) Drinks were not included and my Pina Colada was about $7-similar to ship prices but lots of rum. Plus you don't have to taxi it over to the ferry. The meeting point for all of the speedboat tours is about 10 minute walk towards downtown; about half-way point to getting to downtown. In fact we got back at 4pm and had enough time to walk to downtown and back.

Another less stressful way of getting to Pinel Island is with Robinsons or Captain Bob's speedboat tours. We took Robinson's tours last month, we made two snorkel stops, then lunch at Pinel Island and then another brief stop at a private beach and finally to Maho to see the planes fly over our head in the boat. Although you only have about an hour at Pinel, a delicious lunch was included. You had just enough time to wander about the island. I would highly recommend this alternative at 109pp. I noticed that the lunches themselves were 18-20 euros! (about $30) Drinks were not included and my Pina Colada was about $7-similar to ship prices but lots of rum. Plus you don't have to taxi it over to the ferry. The meeting point for all of the speedboat tours is about 10 minute walk towards downtown; about half-way point to getting to downtown. In fact we got back at 4pm and had enough time to walk to downtown and back.

Hmm I might have to look into this one... I'm assuming you do the snorkeling off the boat. Question for you, how difficult is it to get back ON the boat from the water? My older sister is not comfortable in the water, and would have a hard time getting back into the boat due to some physical limitations, so we're looking for an easy snorkel trip that also includes Maho...

Hmm I might have to look into this one... I'm assuming you do the snorkeling off the boat. Question for you, how difficult is it to get back ON the boat from the water? My older sister is not comfortable in the water, and would have a hard time getting back into the boat due to some physical limitations, so we're looking for an easy snorkel trip that also includes Maho...

We did snorkeling off of the boat. The boat operator Sam was very good about giving us a hand on and off the boat. I am a rather large woman in my 50s and I had no problem getting on and off with his help. Once one of the passengers even assisted me once. We were given the choice of noodles or lifejackets to float on the water with the snorkeling gear. Most of the people on the boat chose not to go in for some reason. When we got to Pinel we had to wade into shore at waist deep water. Again the captain Sam was there to assist at all times. Both Captain Bob and Robinson's Speed Boat get incredible reviews on Trip Advisor. Look them up, it seems that it may meet alot of your criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

The boat sounds fun but also the thought of just renting a car. Spend more time playing on the beach and kayaking on Pinel Then we could stop at another pretty beach on our way back to ship . Decision decisions .

On Oasis right now...just heading back out for Western, did Eastern last week. I was incredibly grateful to have hired Joyce's Taxi service in St M to Pinel (Cul de Sac, can kayak or take ferry from there). She was waiting for us when we got to port and was early to pick us up on the return. Glad to give more details in a week, but until then, google and if you need her email, it's theresahelligar@yahoo.com . Everyone says how easy it is to drive there, but I wouldn't have wanted to try...

• 4 weeks later...
The boat sounds fun but also the thought of just renting a car. Spend more time playing on the beach and kayaking on Pinel Then we could stop at another pretty beach on our way back to ship . Decision decisions .

We ended up renting a car because we wanted to do Maho beach as well as Pinel. It worked out well and ended up cheaper in the long run than taxi for the 3 of us. It was relatively easy to get around the island, and loved Pinel!

• 1 month later...
On Oasis right now...just heading back out for Western, did Eastern last week. I was incredibly grateful to have hired Joyce's Taxi service in St M to Pinel (Cul de Sac, can kayak or take ferry from there). She was waiting for us when we got to port and was early to pick us up on the return. Glad to give more details in a week, but until then, google and if you need her email, it's theresahelligar@yahoo.com . Everyone says how easy it is to drive there, but I wouldn't have wanted to try...

Oz from Caribbean Paddling gave us this email address to inquire about transportation and I just emailed her for rates and info. In the meantime, it sounds like she was reliable and reasonable? If I know transportation is pre-arranged, I can relax more while I'm out having fun! Any info about the taxi service would be very helpful. And did you rent kayaks or take the ferry? We strongly considering kayaking over to Pinel.

We already have a boat ride lined up with Capt. Bob Cass, which I know would be fast and furious fun, but I am thinking about changing that to a more laid-back day of kayaking and snorkeling.....

• 2 months later...

We rented a car and there was absolutely no problem. I would recommend Maho first because the bigger planes come in between the 11am-1pm (KLM was supposed to land at 11:45 the day we were there but didn't land until almost 1pm) we then drove over to the ferry for Pinel and had an amazing time there. I would say with traffic and the crazy roads, plus getting "lost" a couple of times, it took about an hour total drive time from the pier-maho then maho-Pinel... the longest part of the whole thing was waiting on the rental car company, so if you go that route, go directly to the rental car desk as soon as you get off the ship.

I'd suggest you plan to rent a car, but you don't say how many are in your party. If more than two, like four, then definitely. Driving is Easy-Peasy, except for the traffic. Even with just two ships in port, I'm not very trustful of the taxi returning on time. If you had a party of eight, that's something else.

Travel time to Pinel Ferry: Allow 45 minutes and hope for 30 minutes or less, either direction.

I thought that the ferry started up at 9:30, but it's definitely 'island time, so ...

I think what was posted above about the return trips was that in the afternoon they only make a trip every hour, not like in the morning with the 30 minute schedule.

Pinel to Maho (or reverse) I would definitely allow 45 minutes, and remember that the larger planes come in between 11'ish and 2'ish.

Return from Maho to P'Burg could be from an hour to hour and a half plus, even with the new traffic routings.

gary

p.s. If you decide to rent a car, come back and I'll help you with a route.

Thank you very much for the info, Gary! There will be only 2 of us, but we will not really nit pick about $20, $40, or whatever amount within reason we could have saved if we are able to do what we want. That being said I do like the renting a car idea.

I do have 2 other quick questions for you or anyone else that might have an idea.

1) I really do not want to make this into a safety/danger debate, lol. I would like an honest opinion though. I heard it's better to travel in groups. Again, there will only be 2 of us if we plan on renting the car. I will have a "man purse" bag with me that will have towels and camera equipment and whatever. We do not have any plans to stop anywhere other than where the ferry is to get over to Pinel. We are 2 dudes and how should I say this, I guess if a would be robber had anything less than a gun they would definitely think twice before attempting something or would look for a much more easier target :cool::D (yes, I think I am a certified chuck norris wanna be). That being said, as long as we take normal precautions I take it there should be no worries with just 2 people driving on their own over to Pinel?

2) I found on some older posts that that some of the water sports companies on Orient had water taxi shuttles over to Pinel. There were even pictures posted of the signs the businesses had. However I cannot find any current info confirming they still do this. Knowing it is easy to taxi to Orient and back we would like this idea as well if we knew for sure there were still some water sports places somewhere along Orient that offered the water taxi to Pinel. Has anyone seen this going on lately? I forget how old the other threads were that showed this was offered from Orient but I thought within a couple years.

Thanks! And yes, don't mind me that I'm a master planner :o

Thank you very much for the info, Gary! There will be only 2 of us, but we will not really nit pick about $20, $40, or whatever amount within reason we could have saved if we are able to do what we want. That being said I do like the renting a car idea.

I do have 2 other quick questions for you or anyone else that might have an idea.

1) I really do not want to make this into a safety/danger debate, lol. I would like an honest opinion though. I heard it's better to travel in groups. Again, there will only be 2 of us if we plan on renting the car. I will have a "man purse" bag with me that will have towels and camera equipment and whatever. We do not have any plans to stop anywhere other than where the ferry is to get over to Pinel. We are 2 dudes and how should I say this, I guess if a would be robber had anything less than a gun they would definitely think twice before attempting something or would look for a much more easier target :cool::D (yes, I think I am a certified chuck norris wanna be). That being said, as long as we take normal precautions I take it there should be no worries with just 2 people driving on their own over to Pinel?

2) I found on some older posts that that some of the water sports companies on Orient had water taxi shuttles over to Pinel. There were even pictures posted of the signs the businesses had. However I cannot find any current info confirming they still do this. Knowing it is easy to taxi to Orient and back we would like this idea as well if we knew for sure there were still some water sports places somewhere along Orient that offered the water taxi to Pinel. Has anyone seen this going on lately? I forget how old the other threads were that showed this was offered from Orient but I thought within a couple years.

Thanks! And yes, don't mind me that I'm a master planner :o

I wouldn't worry too much about your personal security with two big guys during the daytime at tourist destinations.

My wife and I travel (daytime) without too much concern other than being very aware of our surroundings at all times. We have clocked over a thousand kilometers of car travel during some of our stays.

Guns are illegal on the island (though available) but I'd probably be more concerned about a guy with a machete. :)

I've posted photos of some of the watersports businesses on Orient offering a shuttle, not "water taxi" to Pinel in the past, but I haven't noteced that recently, and I usually walk the entire beach each visit.

The Jetski rental guys would surely offer to shuttle you back and forth for a price, but I don't have any idea what that would be.

gary