Caribbean or Canada New England in August

FLUFFLULA

My DH can only cruise mid August this year. We've cruised on Carnival, RCL (my favorite), Celebrity and Princess. DH is not particular but I really enjoy the large ships. In our time frame there are a few choices in the Caribbean (Getaway, RCL Jewel, Caribbean Princess), but it's HOT there in August. DH enjoyed Canada New England last year, but the only option in our time frame is HAL Veendam or Maasdam, older and MUCH smaller than we're used to and the reviews are very mixed (either love or hate usually), so we can't decide what's best. BTW we are early 60's.

Thanks for any thoughts you have!:confused:

Edited by FLUFFLULA

My DH can only cruise mid August this year. We've cruised on Carnival, RCL (my favorite), Celebrity and Princess. DH is not particular but I really enjoy the large ships. In our time frame there are a few choices in the Caribbean (Getaway, RCL Jewel, Caribbean Princess), but it's HOT there in August. DH enjoyed Canada New England last year, but the only option in our time frame is HAL Veendam or Maasdam, older and MUCH smaller than we're used to and the reviews are very mixed (either love or hate usually), so we can't decide what's best. BTW we are early 60's.

Thanks for any thoughts you have!:confused:

How about trying Oasis or Allure of the Seas? If you enjoy large ships you will love it!

I'd give HAL a try in Canada/New England. Those cruises are port intensive to places with beautiful scenery. Much of what you see can be done without tours. We've done several Canada New England cruises and enjoyed them all. The bonus of trying a new line is you won't have seen the shows.

The weather for the entire Caribbean varies only 4 or 5 degrees between August temps and December temps. Here is a website that shows the temps for all/most of the Caribbean during any month you want to check. Very few of them reach 90 and run in the mid 70's overnight.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Caribbean/average-temperature-rainfall-august.php

Pick the ship/destination that appeals to you both. You can't go wrong with any of them.

The weather for the entire Caribbean varies only 4 or 5 degrees between August temps and December temps. Here is a website that shows the temps for all/most of the Caribbean during any month you want to check. Very few of them reach 90 and run in the mid 70's overnight.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Caribbean/average-temperature-rainfall-august.php

Pick the ship/destination that appeals to you both. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Last July it was hotter and stickier in Toronto than it was in St. Maarten. The hurricane/rough seas potential is the worry about Caribbean vacations in the summer even cruises especially if Miami or Tampa or New Orleans or San Juan is your home port.

Edited by Karysa

Supposedly that is true, but it was not for 2 of my 3 winter cruises. Winter storms came through and one cruise we had 60's days in Cozumel, another that was true for Grand Cayman. Then a late fall cruise, another storm caused Cozumel to have a 70 high. So if there is a storm, those 90 temps will disappear for a few days. You need to remember they average in the whole month in those figures and they often have several winter storms in their "winter" season.

Now our southern Caribbean winter cruise that was true and I knew it would be that close to the equator. But ya know, that was in mid January, and the previous month at home had unusually severe cold for GA,and even some snow-so I actually found it a relief. (which I would not feel in August when we have miserably hot June's and July's)Besides, we stayed on ship when we we through the Panama Canal and I was inside looking from the windows a good bit when I got over heated. we also did a jungle tour in Costa Rica, which kept us shaded, so I survived that cruise quite well even with the heat!

Once we took a Banamas cruise in July. Horrible! I told hubby never again in summer unless it was Canada, northern Europe or Alaska!

Last July it was hotter and stickier in Toronto than it was in St. Maarten. The hurricane/rough seas potential is the worry about Caribbean vacations in the summer even cruises especially if Miami or Tampa or New Orleans or San Juan is your home port.

Lol! and my one visit to Toronto 20 years ago I had to buy a sweater for the evening as I had not brought one with me! It was quite a shock to my Georgia body! bu a "happy" shock as at home it was 101!

Lol! and my one visit to Toronto 20 years ago I had to buy a sweater for the evening as I had not brought one with me! It was quite a shock to my Georgia body! bu a "happy" shock as at home it was 101!

Ya we can get some crazy weather at times. We have been known to have the odd four seasons day up here. Snows in the early morning, warms up around noon and you take the mittens off, t- shirt weather by 3 and your after dinner walk requires a fall jacket. :D

Edited by Karysa

I'm be on the Veendam in 2 weeks. This will be my first cruise with them. The rest have all been Caribbean cruises on top of that. I can let you know how the Veendam is after the 14th if you like. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We sailed Maasdam summer after summer on her Canada/New England itinerary, b-to-b, and loved those cruises. We never tired of the ports and think it a great cruise.

In August I would sail New England just because it is far less hot.

Keith

[b} Not if we are aving the dog days of August. Boston can be very hot and humid in August. :eek: We had very hot weather last summer.

[/b]

We cruise during the summer months because DH's teaching schedule and our sons' school schedules don't match. We have been on three storm-impacted cruises - and two of them were Canada cruises. The second of these was Hurricane Earl in 2010, which was predicted to ride right up the East Coast and reach the Bay of Fundy just about the same time as our ship was scheduled to reach the Bay of Fundy. We ended up sailing faster than usual to arrive in Saint John early and be in port when the storm hit. (Yes, I've always heard that ships should leave port during a storm, but apparently they thought the port would be safe.) It worked out well, the seas weren't too rough - but our port day in Saint John was extremely rainy and windy, and we spent most of the day on board.

Ya we can get some crazy weather at times. We have been known to have the odd four seasons day up here. Snows in the early morning, warms up around noon and you take the mittens off, t- shirt weather by 3 and your after dinner walk requires a fall jacket. :D

But isn't the coast of Canada cooler too? You can't cruise to Toronto.

I have to correct myself too. We stayed at Niagara Falls, Ontario (not US) for most of that trip, we drove into Toronto one day. Niagara Falls was cool in the evening-maybe the falls make it cooler just like the ocean makes the coastal towns cooler?

Well, that is true of the Caribbean too, those islands are not as hot as Florida. It is usually 90's there but when you get away from the Florida coast to middle Florida you are talking 100's not 90's. It is often that hot here in GA too in summer. We are hitting 90's here already the last couple of days, and it is not June yet.

The thing is with me when it is 100 at home, 90 on the islands is not enough of an improvement. I want to go to cooler areas in summer. In the winter it is different. 90's can be a relief after a good bit of cold. Summers I want to take trips to where it is cooler, winters where it is warmer.

Edited by momofmeg

In August I would sail New England just because it is far less hot.

Keith

I agree Keith, the coast is usually cooler than even if you get even 30 miles away. I know we lived in Summerville, SC for 2 years. summers were horrible, May to November, but if we drove 40 miles away to Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach,etc. one of the beach areas that were on the ocean, it would be a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler. I still did not enjoy them in July but I loved them in May and September.

But isn't the coast of Canada cooler too? You can't cruise to Toronto.

I have to correct myself too. We stayed at Niagara Falls, Ontario (not US) for most of that trip, we drove into Toronto one day. Niagara Falls was cool in the evening-maybe the falls make it cooler just like the ocean makes the coastal towns cooler?

Well, that is true of the Caribbean too, those islands are not as hot as Florida. It is usually 90's there but when you get away from the Florida coast to middle Florida you are talking 100's not 90's. It is often that hot here in GA too in summer. We are hitting 90's here already the last couple of days, and it is not June yet.

The thing is with me when it is 100 at home, 90 on the islands is not enough of an improvement. I want to go to cooler areas in summer. In the winter it is different. 90's can be a relief after a good bit of cold. Summers I want to take trips to where it is cooler, winters where it is warmer.

Sounds like Alaska would be a good choice for you then.

Personally I prefer the ocean temps in St Maarten in July and August compared to those in the winter. I also prefer them to the lakes of northern Ontario in the summer. We are all different and if it's possible go with what makes you happy.

We cruise during the summer months because DH's teaching schedule and our sons' school schedules don't match. We have been on three storm-impacted cruises - and two of them were Canada cruises. The second of these was Hurricane Earl in 2010, which was predicted to ride right up the East Coast and reach the Bay of Fundy just about the same time as our ship was scheduled to reach the Bay of Fundy. We ended up sailing faster than usual to arrive in Saint John early and be in port when the storm hit. (Yes, I've always heard that ships should leave port during a storm, but apparently they thought the port would be safe.) It worked out well, the seas weren't too rough - but our port day in Saint John was extremely rainy and windy, and we spent most of the day on board.

Alaska sounds like the summer cruise for you as well.:)

Sounds like Alaska would be a good choice for you then.

Personally I prefer the ocean temps in St Maarten in July and August compared to those in the winter. I also prefer them to the lakes of northern Ontario in the summer. We are all different and if it's possible go with what makes you happy.

Yes, you are more of a beach person-but then where you live it is very cold a good portion of the year. Where I live we usually have 90F plus temps from mid May to mid September. Now I do love going to Myrtle Beach every September. We usually go mid to late September-when the highs are high 80'sF. Mid day is still a bit too warm for me but I am out there every morning and afternoon.

When are my favorite times of the year around my home area? I love October and April when we have high 70's F. That is my perfect temp! that is when we like to go up to the Ga or TN mountains which is a 2 hour car drive for us for long weekends. Beautiful weather!

That is why I would like your area in summer. It may be a little bit hot mid day but by evening it is nice and cool. I would just avoid being outdoors mid day as I do at Myrtle Beach. At home in GA in July it is already broiling at 7 am when I take my daily walk. I pretty much stay indoors the rest of the day. Even in the evening it does not work to be outside as mosquitoes are rampant then. Electric bills are horrific also. Yes, they go up in May from winter but by July and August is DOUBLE what they are in May. Many people here do budget billing where the 12 months are averaged out and you pay that. We don't, we do not see the need as our budget is not that tight. (think $300 a month power bills for a 2200 square foot "energy efficient" home! Lol!)

The upside of that is our winter heating bills are much more reasonable than yours and anyone's in New England! (they are usually around $200 a month then for us!)