PG and the air dilemma

Jim Avery

We are interested in PG for Tahiti and the Society Islands this Fall. Like so many cruises that look interesting and offer a good value price wise, the big stop on the line is the air travel. I think the PG included air represents good value except that Air Tahiti Nui has many very bad reviews. Additionally, we no longer tolerate long flights crammed in the back. We are early 60s, fit and active but both are tall. Heck, I used to sleep on the ground, in train stations, and on train floors when traveling years ago. But not interested in that anymore. Not going to sit in what I am reading about on ATN. Also, ATN Biz Class upgrade is approx. $2,800 p/p through PG and for that you get what is described as (and pictures and SeatGuru support this)2" extra width in what passes for First Class on older domestic 737s. Certainly not anything like lie flats on other lines. Hawaiian has poor connections with stops and is expensive. Air France seems to be the only other option with somewhat better connections but even more expensive. We have traveled on many of the all inclusive cruise lines so think PG would be a great trip but just can't wrap my head around paying more for the misery of modern air travel than for a week on an all inclusive ship in one of the world's most beautiful places. Not sure there is an answer but many of you have wrestled this bear before. Any input welcomed. Thanks.:D

We have sailed on the PG 8 times and each time flown on ATN. I don't share in all the hate and discontent directed toward ATN. In fact I find them pleasant when compared to many other carriers (don't EVEN get me started on Icelandair!).

Of course I would rather ride with the luggage than pay $3000 for an airline ticket, so you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

We faced a similar dilemna, and ultimately decided to split the difference between price and comfort and book Air France Premium Economy. No, we aren't expecting it to be like first or even business class, but with everything I have gleaned, it will be similar to domestic first class on an older plane, which will work. We are also on the taller side with long legs and having room to stretch a bit and most important--not having the person in front of us reclining into us made it a no-brainer. We also liked that we were able to reserve on of the aisle/window pairs so no "neighbors."

Edited by ducklite

We booked Air France for our flights primarily due to the savings over ATN in economy. For the week we are going, we were credited enough to save between $400 and $500, which pays for an overnight room giving us an extra day. As ducklite says, premium economy is a step up over economy with more space so it's something to look into. We will see what the upgrade price is for PE as we get closer to the date, but for now we are happy with what we've been able to get.

Not sure where you are seeing AF is higher than ATN, though. If you price the flights side by side, they are very similar.

I thought about this and just booked economy on AF from LAX. I found the seats to be fine. The flight wasn't full, so we had plenty of room to stretch out and sleep. I was very glad I had not paid for premium economy.

I heard MANY complaints from lots of passengers who flew Air Tahiti Nui. Not one was happy about seat comfort, food, service, etc.

It's just a trade off on the way you would prefer to spend your money. I'd rather travel more and sometimes endure a little discomfort.

ATN - hit or miss. Last year going great - going back TERRIBLE. Food has gone downhill over the years - both economy and business. Service too. If you get a flight that originated or is going to Paris - that is the worst. Full flights and nasty passengers and crew.

I am trying Hawaiian air this time from JFK. Schedule worked perfectly for me. Plus a LOT less expensive.

I'm sorry to say, but it's bad enough to have a trip in FP end, let alone have the ATN flight home to look forward to. I did sleep some both ways and did watch a couple movies on each trip which was nice. But the seats are small (and I'm short) and it's a little unnerving that they feel uncomfortable even before you take off. If the person in front moves their seat back, it's not good. My husband who's much taller finally came to an agreement with the man in front of him. 8 hours isn't all that long, but I don't think that if I went back to FP that I would fly ATN. My lovely French neighbors on the ship seemed to be happier with Air France. We were on a 10 day itinerary trip. Some of the people we met left the ship on the night we docked at Papeete. I think that's an interesting option.

I can relate to the OP.....while the economic rational side of myself said to fly economy, I could not tolerate spending 8 hours in coach seats. Been there done that too many times, and for us, it basically came down to flying Biz class or not going at all. We chose AF primarily because of the schedule...their Biz class cabin was more than adequate, and we slept comfortably from LAX to PPT. PG does provide an air credit....for our cruise, I think it was about $1500 pp, so that helped to defray the added cost of the business class tickets. I know others would (very understandably) disagree with me, but while the cruise was great, I would not go back unless I could fly business class...but that's me. Also, for what it is worth, I would not pay extra for AF's premium economy....for me the additional cost is not worth the extra space (limited), and in my opinion, the seats were among the most uncomfortable I have ever flown in. Again, just one person's opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will die with a robust bank account and instead of my life flashing before my eyes, all those coach flights that I didn't spend to upgrade to business, will ;)

But like you, Jim, I can't wrap my head around those prices for 8 hours in a seat. We only just ticked into 50s, but DH is very tall 6 foot 6, He gets exit row priority on American which covers all our North/South/central American travel, but for Europe or PG we suck it up. First of all, it's a "short flight" relatively, and we've got to make the switch on the us west coast, so you get a break. So far we also flew economy to Africa and Australia, but we've already decided that going forward, Africa, Asia,and Australia, would be "worth it " upgrades due to the sheer number of hours on board going forward, as we get older.

A few things make ATN bearable - it's "only" 8 hours; as Tiki says, a bad nights sleep, and who hasn't taken a melatonin and just tried to suffer through a bad night? Second, the ATN planes are set up (if you book early enough) with pairs of seats on each side of the plane, if you can score these, it's much more comfortable than standard coach since you aren't stuck in armrest wars or with the bath room habits of a stranger for 8 hours.:rolleyes: And lastly, you end up in FP, where it's all about the relaxation! I think if I were headed to Mumbai or Bejing with the crowds and overwhelming nature of those trips, I'd be more inclined to want to arrive rested;)

Good luck whatever you decide!

Ps, we just booked coach to Istanbul, which is 8 hours direct from Boston, so I guess that's Asia too, but it's the 8 hours, so that is the tipping point for us!

Edited by Familygoboston

We have sailed on the PG 8 times and each time flown on ATN. I don't share in all the hate and discontent directed toward ATN. In fact I find them pleasant when compared to many other carriers (don't EVEN get me started on Icelandair!).

Of course I would rather ride with the luggage than pay $3000 for an airline ticket, so you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'm with you. It seems ridiculous to pay more for the flight than for the cruise.:eek:

We faced a similar dilemna, and ultimately decided to split the difference between price and comfort and book Air France Premium Economy. No, we aren't expecting it to be like first or even business class, but with everything I have gleaned, it will be similar to domestic first class on an older plane, which will work. We are also on the taller side with long legs and having room to stretch a bit and most important--not having the person in front of us reclining into us made it a no-brainer. We also liked that we were able to reserve on of the aisle/window pairs so no "neighbors."

Will look forward to your review of PG and Air France. We also are carryon only types. Did 11 days on Queen Victoria including the tux.:eek: Yes, it can be done. Years of bringing home things I never used finally sank in.:D

Where are you traveling from to Tahiti?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LAX. Undecided about driving from PHX to LAX or taking Southwest. Not really much difference in time or money with all things factored.

Thanks for all the replies. There is a wealth of info on this board. We have sailed SeaDream a lot and those posters are also very helpful. Must be a small ship thing.:D We really want to try PG so will be weighing the options. Not so much for the going over but for the coming back. We hate getting off a wonderful cruise and being slapped in the face with airports, security, then cramped uncomfortable airplanes. Makes you wonder why you bothered with the trip at all. :eek: But then, I get another brochure or email and we are planning another one. Will I ever learn? Someone please stop me!:D:D

ATN - hit or miss. Last year going great - going back TERRIBLE. Food has gone downhill over the years - both economy and business. Service too. If you get a flight that originated or is going to Paris - that is the worst. Full flights and nasty passengers and crew.

I am trying Hawaiian air this time from JFK. Schedule worked perfectly for me. Plus a LOT less expensive.

I took my cue from twin. Booked united flatbed to Hawaii and then to Papeete Hawaiian air premium seats.

I too have seen ATN quality go down over the years.

We pretty well try to go business as much as possible but sometimes for transatlantic day flights we buy premium seats as a solution. Won't pay full fare business but if you check around there are specials to be had. Our toronto to Honolulu fare was just 1800 return in business. Fare from here to LAX is $800. Yes we will be in Honolulu a couple of days but that will be a nice en route break instead of the usual LA for us.

We booked Air France for our flights primarily due to the savings over ATN in economy. For the week we are going, we were credited enough to save between $400 and $500, which pays for an overnight room giving us an extra day. As ducklite says, premium economy is a step up over economy with more space so it's something to look into. We will see what the upgrade price is for PE as we get closer to the date, but for now we are happy with what we've been able to get.

Not sure where you are seeing AF is higher than ATN, though. If you price the flights side by side, they are very similar.

AF is showing Business, LAX/PPT r/t at a shade over $8,000 for both of us.:eek:

AF is showing Business, LAX/PPT r/t at a shade over $8,000 for both of us.:eek:

Yes, but business class on AF is a step up from ATN. They have lie flat seats for one, which translates to a lot more space. Business class on ATN seems to be a hybrid of AF Premium Economy and Business.

I did a quick review of prices for the flights on the days the wife and I are going. The savings with AF was closer to $300 than the $400 I remembered, but still a savings considering that we didn't want to fly in the same day and just get transfers and a day room for $300.

AF ATN

Econonomy 2706 2965

Premium Economy 4254 7537

Business 8654 n/a

First n/a n/a

Of course there are other pros and cons to consider depending on available schedules, points, etc. The $300 price difference in economy is a value since they take care of the transfer details for you. ATN also includes an additional dive bag in its price, while AF does not. However, since PG includes the gear, I will just put my fins/mask/snorkel in my regular bag making it a non-issue.

Still expensive, though, I agree. I would love to bring my kids out with us, but doubt that will happen any time soon. My daughter refuses to even look at the pictures and videos I've been reviewing in preparation for the trip :-)

FYI, we paid $4248.50 for two PE seats on AF.

One thing I don't like about the AF business class is the 2-3-2 seating. I think it's absurd to expect someone paying that type of coin for a seat to have a middle or have the middle climbing over them at night.

I think there is a few factors that enter into a person's decision and it has nothing to do with the carrier.

I grew up in a very frugal way so I do the same. I'd rather go back to FP the following year than to spend extra money for airfare.

I'm not knocking anyone that does buy upgrades, to each their own but what I'm saying is some are just happy to be able to go and/or we were raised in such a way that we are penny pinchers

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I have a solution. Book an owners or Grand Suite on the PG and thus your business class seats on air france will look much more reasonable.

LOL:D Good plan. Can I borrow a few $$$. I promise I will pay you back.:eek:

My wife and I just got home and we flew round trip with the airlines booked as part of our cruise price. It was adequate. The seats were small and the meals so- so, but the staff was nice and I watched a couple of movies and twisted my neck trying to sleep. One the way down, I had the cruise to look forward to - on the way back, a full day of making connections to get home. Frankly, flying to LA and back home was more of a challenge.

I flew the predecessor to AF (AOM, which was taken over by AF), which was fairly awful. I've flown ATN several times Coach, and once Business class. ATN used to be quite nice, but I think it's gone down hill. Always worse coming back, for some reason.

We've opted for AF Premium Economy, despite some negative reviews of the seats. We've flown BA and, quite recently, Cathay Pacific, in this class, and quite like it--more legroom, wider seats, some perks, affordable price-point.

But you have to be flexible with your dates--they don't fly every day. For our fall trip, we're flying in 3 days before the cruise, and I think we fly back one day after. Boo hoo, always tough spending longer in paradise!