Using OBC to purchase from shops

dxd226

On our recent Silhouette cruise, we had non-refundable OBC. We had paid for everything already and it was the last night. We had about $80 left. So I ended up getting a really great tan Michael Kors clutch. I owed about $20, but I love that bag and use it all the time. I never did a price comparison, as in my mind, the purse was $20 since there was literally nothing else anyone wanted.

Are you in a state where there is sales tax charged? If you bought the purse at home, would there had been sales tax? There's no sales tax (or VAT) charged on board. So that the savings of buying on board in the "tax free stores"

VAT is charged on some cruises in Europe -- if the ship does not call at a port outside the EU. I was just charged VAT on a necklace I bought with OBC, although I got the refund form and got some of it back at the airport when I left the EU.

Cruise line shops can be likened to Duty Free Shops at airports. Whilst no duty is paid on the goods it doesn't necessarily mean that the goods are cheaper than in the High Street retail store. First up rents are high (cruise ships use third party retailers) and turnover is relatively small compared to the high street retailer. Economies of scale mean competition which follows on that in some cases high street retailers can still be cheaper even after paying duty. It pays to do ones homework and check out the retail price at home before venturing into the airport duty free and cruise ship shops. What I have found on cruise ships that booze can be a good deal if one keeps within ones allowance going home

Cruise line shops can be likened to Duty Free Shops at airports. Whilst no duty is paid on the goods it doesn't necessarily mean that the goods are cheaper than in the High Street retail store. First up rents are high (cruise ships use third party retailers) and turnover is relatively small compared to the high street retailer. Economies of scale mean competition which follows on that in some cases high street retailers can still be cheaper even after paying duty. It pays to do ones homework and check out the retail price at home before venturing into the airport duty free and cruise ship shops. What I have found on cruise ships that booze can be a good deal if one keeps within ones allowance going home

Except that the exchange rate erodes most of the savings.:(

Except that the exchange rate erodes most of the savings.:(

Not always the case but I admit it is a factor to be taken into account, but becomes less significant if using OBC.

Edited by Beanb41

Does anyone know if you can use OBC to buy things from the shops on board? Can you buy iPads from the ilounge?

Mentionned already is the exchange value if buying an iPad. At BB, the 64GB iPad is $587.99 Can. plus tax. On the ship the price is $599 US and no tax. The case on the ship is $50 US and $28.88 Can. at WM.

We did buy 2 iPads (over 2 one week cruises) on ship to use up (non-refundable) OBC. I would never plan on buying an iPad or other over priced merchandise on the ship unless it was to use up (non-refundable) OBC.

For Canadians, that $599 US iPad also translates into a $779 hit against your $800 duty/tax free exemption.

Does anyone know if you can use OBC to buy things from the shops on board? Can you buy iPads from the ilounge?

If you are planning on purchasing an apple product I suggest you purchase it the minute the shop opens after sail away. They don't stock much product and key items like iPads tend to sell out. When I went to purchase a lap top mid cruise they were sold out. I had to wait until the next port of call for a shipment to be received. I don't know if it's standard procedure to restock during a cruise. I may have just been lucky on the itinerary that I was on.

Anyone have experience in buying jewelry onboard? Any hints, thoughts?

There are no deals on Jewelry on the ship or in the Caribbean. They mark it up so high and then offer 50% off. Now that so many are coming on with so much OBC they probably mark it up even more knowing that in the back of your mind you are saving the additional OBC that Celebrity gave you. I have friends who live on Antigua and they told me all the shops mark up prices on days there is a ship in port. The cruise ships do the same thing and they know that it's an impulse purchase and hope that you haven't done your homework on price comparison. They want you to think that you are getting a bargain and offer all types of discounts. Precious stones are hard to comparison shop because of the 4 C's. However if you have unlimited internet and a smart phone you can compare prices on watches on sites like Amazon or overstock while on the ship. I am a very lucky man. My wife prefers Swarovski crystal over diamonds. Swarovski is priced the same on the ship as it is at home but they did offer 10% off. We would probably use OBC for that. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy jewelry on board if you have OBC just don't expect that OBC to buy a lot.

Anyone have experience in buying jewelry onboard? Any hints, thoughts?

Do your homework before you sail. If you have something specific in mind, price it prior to sailing, whether you are buying on board or in port.

I also purchased a beautiful rose gold MK bag on my recent Silhouette cruise with OBC I had leftover. They must have found it in one of their stockrooms as it was not there earlier in the week. I didn't find the prices of their bags all that great but I would have lost the OBC anyway as it was non refundable, but the bag is lovely and I know I will use it a lot. FYI: A lot of the bags I saw were the same ones that they were selling earlier this year on my January cruise on the Silhouette.

On our recent Silhouette cruise, we had non-refundable OBC. We had paid for everything already and it was the last night. We had about $80 left. So I ended up getting a really great tan Michael Kors clutch. I owed about $20, but I love that bag and use it all the time. I never did a price comparison, as in my mind, the purse was $20 since there was literally nothing else anyone wanted.