Flights through NCL

prudon

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if someone out there had booked their flights to Hawaii through NCL? If so how satisfied were you with the booking? We are flying from Boston to Hawaii and have booked through NCL but I have time to change that if necessary. Any thoughts?

Do some checking on your own as to prices, etc.

The main reason most folks book on their own is to have control over the flights, times, etc. When NCL books it, you go with their plan.

Same thing with hotels and transfers.

And, in most cases with all three, you will save a bit on your own.

Do some checking on your own as to prices, etc.

The main reason most folks book on their own is to have control over the flights, times, etc. When NCL books it, you go with their plan.

Same thing with hotels and transfers.

And, in most cases with all three, you will save a bit on your own.

Thanks, I have been checking. We only allowed a cruise line to do our bookings once (RCI). The flights were horrible. I haven't cruised with NCL in over 10 years. I'm hoping they do a decent job of booking convenient flights.

Thanks, I have been checking. We only allowed a cruise line to do our bookings once (RCI). The flights were horrible. I haven't cruised with NCL in over 10 years. I'm hoping they do a decent job of booking convenient flights.

Don't count on it! I've heard a lot if negative stories about using cruise air - they make a profit, so the times can be bad.

I have not done a Norwegian flight to Hawaii but I have done one from Seattle, Washington to London, U.K. I loved it. I will be doing again in October 2015 when I fly to the United Kingdom to bring The Escape across. Two things to keep in mind: (1) at in London someone was waiting for me in baggage claim and took me directly to my hotel and (2) I have read a couple items that said when flights booked through Norwegian were delayed coming into a port city, the cruise ship has waited for them to arrive- several hours from the reports I have read.

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

The ship waiting for us would be a bonus!

I was thinking, they can't mess it up from the west coast to Hawaii. I'm hoping we don't have a puddle jumper to the west coast. Although it would allow me to get up more often and stretch my legs.

For my cruise on The Getaway from Southampton to New York City this past January and for my cruise on The Escape from Southampton to Miami, I booked the entire package from Norwegian. I booked the flights, the hotel, the transfer from the hotel to the ship, the ship to the airport from Norwegian and was very very happy. Airline delays can happen for all kinds of reasons, I would rather be safe and spend a little more money than taking a chance on anything.

For my cruise on The Getaway from Southampton to New York City this past January and for my cruise on The Escape from Southampton to Miami, I booked the entire package from Norwegian. I booked the flights, the hotel, the transfer from the hotel to the ship, the ship to the airport from Norwegian and was very very happy. Airline delays can happen for all kinds of reasons, I would rather be safe and spend a little more money than taking a chance on anything.

I agree :) Thank you.

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if someone out there had booked their flights to Hawaii through NCL? If so how satisfied were you with the booking? We are flying from Boston to Hawaii and have booked through NCL but I have time to change that if necessary. Any thoughts?

Hello Prudon, FYI Hawaiian Air as of June of 2012 has a direct flight out of JFK straight to Honolulu. No stops for a plane to catch. They are also one of the last to serve 2 meals in coach cabin. Yes it is a 9 hour+ flight, but******** most direct & less problems. I have sailed NCL's Hawaiian cruise many times & coming from Syracuse, NY I have had some rather tight connections. (30 minutes) which leave NO time for error. Hands down I personally loved Hawaiian Air best of all. You would only need to get to JFK from Boston. Maybe consider Amtrak. Best of luck to you & enjoy all the beauty the Hawaiian islands have to offer!

Good day everyone,

We've made our own air reservations, but the fare category that could be cancelled. Yes, that was more than non-refundable, but we did that months and months in advance, so we KNEW we'd get there when we wanted to (a few days in advance).

Then just before final payment, our TA asked NCL what the cost would be for the SAME flights, same dates.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was considerably less, and less than the current non-refundable category.

So we got a refund for our tickets, and had NCL go ahead. At that point, we weren't going to change, because the cruise was in penalty period, anyway.

But we specified EXACTLY which flight, which dates.

It's worth asking.

GeezerCouple

Most helpful posts! Thanks to both Crystalaziza and GeezerCouple (BTW I LOVE your name!)

Crystalaziza I will be checking the non-stop flight although Amtrac is very expensive. We could drive and park but again expensive. A quick flight to NYC is an option maybe the night before and catch a play before heading out. Lots to think about.

Geezer, Wow, so glad you got the same flights discounted! I will be asking questions!

Most helpful posts! Thanks to both Crystalaziza and GeezerCouple (BTW I LOVE your name!)

Crystalaziza I will be checking the non-stop flight although Amtrac is very expensive. We could drive and park but again expensive. A quick flight to NYC is an option maybe the night before and catch a play before heading out. Lots to think about.

Geezer, Wow, so glad you got the same flights discounted! I will be asking questions!

Our TA suggested asking NCL; I can't take the credit there. And we never expected a "yes", plus a GOOD fare. I'm guessing they get discounts not available to us normal humans?

There is (or was?) also a flight through Newark on United, and then non-stop to Honolulu.

If you choose that, IF the schedules are the same, then select the one with the longer connection time in Newark. The shorter connection might be "legal" in air-speak, but it's just cutting it too close.

If you can spend a night in NYC first, that would of course be much more fun!

Enjoy!

GeezerCouple

[We never made the trip; that was the one where DH had a medical emergency with less than 2 weeks to go, and my oh my were we glad to have had travel insurance. We had paid for flatbed seats, as this was supposed to be a very special trip to celebrate two significant events. But we got the insurance in case we got sick ON the cruise, not before! That actually hadn't occurred to us (naive, yes). We are still waiting to get to Hawaii; it's just a matter of scheduling now.]

Our TA suggested asking NCL; I can't take the credit there. And we never expected a "yes", plus a GOOD fare. I'm guessing they get discounts not available to us normal humans?

There is (or was?) also a flight through Newark on United, and then non-stop to Honolulu.

If you choose that, IF the schedules are the same, then select the one with the longer connection time in Newark. The shorter connection might be "legal" in air-speak, but it's just cutting it too close.

If you can spend a night in NYC first, that would of course be much more fun!

Enjoy!

GeezerCouple

[We never made the trip; that was the one where DH had a medical emergency with less than 2 weeks to go, and my oh my were we glad to have had travel insurance. We had paid for flatbed seats, as this was supposed to be a very special trip to celebrate two significant events. But we got the insurance in case we got sick ON the cruise, not before! That actually hadn't occurred to us (naive, yes). We are still waiting to get to Hawaii; it's just a matter of scheduling now.]

Glad DH is okay! We always buy insurance but haven't had to use it so far. I'm so glad you had it! Thanks for all the information. I didn't even know about flatbed seats. I'll have to check that out.

Glad DH is okay! We always buy insurance but haven't had to use it so far. I'm so glad you had it! Thanks for all the information. I didn't even know about flatbed seats. I'll have to check that out.

Those flatbed seats are expensive, but don't forget: We have Geezer Bodies and Bones :eek:

We figured that with a lot of serious travel coming up, we might as well find out if these "beds" are "enough" more comfortable to think about for longer flights.

We went to Italy 2 months ago, in "premium economy", and... by the end of the 8+ hours... we weren't happy campers. Sure, we survived, but we aren't trying to do "camping mode" anymore.

So we still haven't tried any airlines flatbed.

We understand there *are* differences.

One thing we've read is that the sloping flatbeds (not strictly horizontal) cause some people annoyance/discomfort because they keep slipping down. I wouldn't expect that to bother us, especially if the choice is sitting up for 11 or 18 hours! But we still await our first opportunity to try it. (We figured that 8 hours wasn't enough, and that was about the threshold. Not that much more than cross-country, we figured.)

One problem with some airlines flatbeds, we are noticing, is that they are becoming "pods". That's okay, but some are configuring them so that there are only 3 across, with two aisles separating them; NO pairs. (United wasn't like that.)

Anyway, waving across an aisle while we are awake isn't our first choice of how to travel ;)

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple
Edited for clarity

Here are a few suggestions. Most cruise lines offer a choice air. You book your airline thru them but you pick the flights you want. And if the flight is delayed NCL will have a rep meet u and get u to your hotel or ship. For lie flat beds. I have used them. They are great and you will arrive well rested. For those who want to sit next to their spouse, most airlines configure side by side or one behind the other which still gives you the opportunity to hold hands.

Here are a few suggestions. Most cruise lines offer a choice air. You book your airline thru them but you pick the flights you want. And if the flight is delayed NCL will have a rep meet u and get u to your hotel or ship. For lie flat beds. I have used them. They are great and you will arrive well rested. For those who want to sit next to their spouse, most airlines configure side by side or one behind the other which still gives you the opportunity to hold hands.

Thanks.

Good to know you were truly able to "arrive well rested".

(We wouldn't mind an extra day or two to "recover" - the hotel would probably be less than the extra cost of the airfare for business/first anyway - but it's the increasing discomfort as those hours grind on. It wasn't like this when we were younger, but many things are "different now". And actually, "not sleeping properly" does take more out of us now than it used to, alas.)

About sitting *next* to each other, yes, we've seen the arrangements where the flatbeds or pods are lined up right next to each other like regular seats, or sort of staggered but still basically "next to" each other.

In a few, middle pairs alternated angled slightly facing away or facing toward each other, and I saw reference to those facing as "honeymoon" seats :)

But when I just checked for a route we hadn't looked at before, I was startled to see that ALL of the flatbeds were true "singles". The airplane "diagram" showed three columns of single seat/beds, with an aisle between *every* pair.

That didn't look appealing in the least, so that airline is probably out.

I hope that isn't the wave (er, "air") of the future.

GeezerCouple

. Most cruise lines offer a choice air. You book your airline thru them but you pick the flights you want. And if the flight is delayed NCL will have a rep meet u and get u to your hotel or ship.

I am not too sure what you mean by "choice air". We have a cruise only booked and awaiting flight times to be released. However, if we find our own flights, we will have to book them ourselves. NCL will not take over the booking to enable ATOL to be relevant. We could go to NCL to book the flights but obviously their prices are virtually double and probably not convenient. Booking ourselves direct with the airline will be cheaper but without any ATOL cover.

I am not too sure what you mean by "choice air". We have a cruise only booked and awaiting flight times to be released. However, if we find our own flights, we will have to book them ourselves. NCL will not take over the booking to enable ATOL to be relevant. We could go to NCL to book the flights but obviously their prices are virtually double and probably not convenient. Booking ourselves direct with the airline will be cheaper but without any ATOL cover.

RCI uses choice air. I don't know much about that. I think, after all my research I'm just going to stick with my original booking with NCL and take my chances. Then I'll post how it went! (Hopefully, it will exceed my expectations:D