Inside on Alaskan

CruzLover80

Is it really a bad idea to do a inside cabin for a Alaskan cruise? Prices are almost a third of the cost and I understand the oooo and ahhh's that go along with the balcony. But taking in the full cost... I could do so many more excursions with the extra $.

What are your thoughts?

Is it really a bad idea to do a inside cabin for a Alaskan cruise? Prices are almost a third of the cost and I understand the oooo and ahhh's that go along with the balcony. But taking in the full cost... I could do so many more excursions with the extra $.

What are your thoughts?

We had an inside on the NCL Sun last month, and were perfectly happy with it. We found plenty of spaces on the decks to see the scenery go by.

In my opinion, yes, it's a really bad idea. People do it and they are fine with it, but I would never book a scenic cruise like Alaska if all I could book was an interior. You just miss too much by doing that.

In my opinion, yes, it's a really bad idea. People do it and they are fine with it, but I would never book a scenic cruise like Alaska if all I could book was an interior. You just miss too much by doing that.

This....

What are your thoughts?

If you tend to stay in your room and don't want to miss it any scenary then get a oceanview or a balcony. Otherwise, take your inside and use the outdoor areas of the ship. People do it every day.

I have been on the Pearl twice to Alaska both with an inside cabin. I do not think I missed very much. There are too many places inside and out to view the scenery. Alaska is a great cruise. Wish I could go again.

We have done 14 cruises to Alaska in balcony and inside cabins. Yes, the balcony is nice if the weather is good but if it isn't there can be regret. Case in point: we just returned from a B2B cruise and the first week it rained almost everyday --- hardly anyone was using their balcony and we heard a lot of people grumbling about paying money for a balcony and not being able to utilize it. If you are OK with this type of situation then I say go for a balcony. Alaska weather is a crap shoot and you never know what you are going to get.

Alaska excursions can be expensive. If you feel more comfortable putting your $$$ towards the excursion then by all means do so. You want to get the most out of your experience. Remember, this is YOUR trip and you should tailor your choices to your needs.

Every ship that I have been on has always had plenty of places to view the beautiful scenery in Alaska.

I am hoping that if I book a inside, prices will drop enough to at the very least bump up to a OV. I'll be graduating with my Bachelor's in May of next year and was originally planning on going to Vegas, but hmmm Alaska sounds so appealing.

But bad weather on a balcony does not sound like fun... what's the purpose if you can only see it. That would really stink to pay more than double the price and not be able to utilize it.

Prices for an Alaskan cruise sometimes are slightly cheaper if you can sail before Memorial Weekend and after Labor Day in September. Both of my cruises were before Memorial Day, the first year it was really cold and the next year I could have used shorts a tank top. The glaciers in the early season are just beautiful.

I would never cruise Alaska without a balcony.

With that said, if you don't mind a lack of privacy and convenience, you can hang out a lot in the public areas of the ship and still get nice views. That just seems unpleasant to me, though.

If you want to get a balcony for a bargain, you will have to wait for the 2015 sailings. Wait until the "free upgrades" are announced as a promo, and then you will be able to book a balcony guarantee at an oceanview price.

We had an inside cabin on our Alaskan cruise, and we were perfectly happy with it. We really never spent any time in the cabin other than to sleep. The rest of the time was spent up on deck. Plus we had more money for excursions. However, having had balcony cabins since then, I would spring for a balcony on our next Alaskan cruise. It is so relaxing to enjoy the balcony while DH sleeps in.:)

We sailed both and although I would certainly prefer a balcony we did just fine with an inside. If you book on the Sun it looks like those ships had some great prices last min in May. I would not chance it though and book as far in advance as possible and then upgrade if possible. The pearl and jewel sell better because they are Seattle round trip, making last min bookings easier with flights but their balcony rooms seem to only go up in price closer to sailing. Study the deck plans, research on here and find the public areas on board you can hang out and still view the sea.

Thanks.... well I went ahead and booked. The lady did mention that the northbound and southbound sailings do drop in prices drastically (but I couldn't hold her to it) because the preference is roundtrips. After pricing it out, the extra $ it would cost to do a r/t, I can fly out of Anchorage and get the benefit of staying in Anchorage for a couple extra days.

I've been having this same debate internally. I'm booked in an inside for next May, and I'm still debating a balcony. But - I'm increasingly of the opinion that I would much rather stick to a certain dollar amount for this trip, and that I would rather spend substantial dollars on extraordinary excursions (helicopter!) and have my inside cabin. It's just me going - a full balcony would be a bit wasted on me. I'm perfectly fine with sitting up on deck for the scenery.

I would suggest to continue to monitor prices and hopefully before sailing the balcony price and your budget can find a sweet spot.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's exactly what I'm looking for :D! Either way, I'll be happy, but of course the preference would be a balcony.

We did an inside to Alaska on Princess this past May. We didn't regret it in the least. We were up on deck when viewing scenery. We had rather have that extra money to do other things with. If money was not an issue I would get a balcony, but I had rather take the wonderful trip in an inside than not go at all (or be able to do things while there). Whatever you decide you will LOVE Alaska. It is awesome beyond words!

Thanks.... well I went ahead and booked. The lady did mention that the northbound and southbound sailings do drop in prices drastically (but I couldn't hold her to it) because the preference is roundtrips. After pricing it out, the extra $ it would cost to do a r/t, I can fly out of Anchorage and get the benefit of staying in Anchorage for a couple extra days.

We were on the Sun (Roundtrip) for Alaska last year, and we did experience some great price drops in the last few weeks before sail date. May is early in the season, and may account for the drops. Some of them were after final payment, and many of us on the sailing were either upgraded for free ( inside to ocean view ) or were able to upsell for a very small amount. We got into a penthouse suite from a mini for only $90 per person. No guarantees, but I would definitely watch prices daily starting 8 weeks out, or even sooner. If you see that prices for ocean views or balconies have dropped to close to what you have paid for your inside, don't be afraid to call NCL and ask what is possible. They may offer a free upgrade or will tell you what it would cost you to upgrade.

A balcony would be my preference, but if a balcony would mean you would have to limit your excursions, than definitely go for the inside. You want to be able to get out there! The Sun has a beautiful circular forward lounge with windows all around. If weather permits, there is an open air covered patio called the Great Outdoors on the aft of the ship. Lots of places to see what's going on outside. Have a dinner in Il Adagio, only $15 per person.. The views are wonderful. Most romantic restaurant ever!

Edited by punkincc

When we went to Alaska a few years ago we had an inside cabin on the Sun that we loved.

First of all, the cabin itself seemed quite large.

Second, and what many do not consider is that if you sit on your balcony you only see one side.

We enjoyed the entire upper deck of the ship! There was so much to see that we were just in awe. We found a few comfortable places to sit by the rails but were also free to roam about and really see the seals, whales and eagles.

The one afternoon that it rained we were very happy in the Observation Lounge.

We saved a lot of $$ and would do so again.

When we went to Alaska a few years ago we had an inside cabin on the Sun that we loved.

First of all, the cabin itself seemed quite large.

Second, and what many do not consider is that if you sit on your balcony you only see one side. .

Not if you book an aft facing balcony!;). Wonderful 180* views. Both sides at the same time. I highly recommend!

I'm glad to hear so many positives about going inside on a Alaskan cruise and on the Sun. I understand the scenery is what your going there for. But for us, if we paid for a balcony that would definitely limit our funds for excursions, which seems that's what is really worth the $. Usually when we book the caribbean, I prefer balcony because excursions are really cheap. When I booked the trip I was told that the one ways typically do drop in price because of the roundtrip preferences. Right now, the cruise is $1400. (after taxes and charges) with $125. OBC. It would be great for prices to drop under the $1000. mark or for balconies to drop in price with just a little additional out of pocket and if I'm lucky a Aft would be in that ball park, but I won't hold my breath, LOL. A girl could always dream.

Having been on the Sky (sister ship to the Sun).. I'll be looking forward to the smaller ship, especially 6 months after our Epic sailing!