Returning to St Kitts-What to do for Mitsugirly?

mitsugirly

I believe we are heading back to St Kitts again. Last time we did a group tour (with Liz) and it wasn't the greatest experience, and went to Reggae. Not interested in doing that again and would like a closer beach this time.

About us, for those that have not read my reviews or seen me around the boards: We are a family that thrives on the ocean and beaches! We can do nice relaxing sandy beaches or beaches that have snorkeling. If there's snorkeling right from the beach, that's better. I really don't care for the boat trips out to a reef type of snorkeling...unless you are there for another reason (like swimming with the sharks or stingrays...since you're already out there). But, I won't pay just to go out, by boat, to a reef.

We are fairly easy to please, love a beautiful beach, love if it has natural shade close to the water, but fine if not. Added plus if there's food/drinks to purchase on the beach. We aren't the type that will hang out at the beach and then leave to go to such-and-such place because they are known to have the best ______ (insert food) on the island. Nope, not us. Half the time we don't even eat while on the island unless it's included with an AI or just a snack. We wait until we get back to the ship.

We ARE NOT the type of people to go site seeing. We are not history buffs and could care less about that stuff.

Should we just head over to Carambola/Friars Bay/Shipwreck this time?

Any updates on the beach at Shipwreck? Is the "beach" still getting smaller and smaller and going away? I considered going there last time because I wanted to check out the "black sand" but a few others from our roll call went the day we were at Reggae and posted pics of "What black sand???" and there wasn't any so they were disappointed. :(

Throw your ideas at me. :)

How about Nevis? Is Nevis good enough for you? (apologies to the New Yorker cartoon:p )

Some on our January Roll Call are talking about doing a cat to a Nevis beach.

There's a ferry, but schedule may not be cruise passenger centric.

I forget, did you do the Timothys overlooking both seas last time?

How about Nevis? Is Nevis good enough for you? (apologies to the New Yorker cartoon:p )

Some on our January Roll Call are talking about doing a cat to a Nevis beach.

There's a ferry, but schedule may not be cruise passenger centric.

I forget, did you do the Timothys overlooking both seas last time?

LOL...well crew...I don't really know anything about Nevis so do tell. :D

As far as Timothys...sigh, long story short, we booked as a HUGE (over 100) group with our roll call with Liz Perez and it was a cluster flark from beginning to end. We were to get a STOP at the top for pictures and such...but our driver zoomed right past. :eek: I did get "moving" pictures, but I'm not sure if it was from Timothy Hill or just along the way. That ride was crazy and scary at the same time. Our driver was nuts and putt putted all the way in 1st gear. I thought for sure our clutch was going to go out and we would all go zooming down the hill.

I thought maybe try Friars this time since it's a lot closer? I can't really remember just how far into the "hills" it was before we made it there to the entrance. ??? :confused:

But I'm open to any suggestions since I really don't know much about this place.

South Friars beach is just below Sir Timothy Hill. It is on the right side of the road before you start going up hill again. There are several beach bar/restaurant on the beach. If you take the first road to your right, you will come to Carambola Beach Club. If you take the second road to the right further down the main road you will find Shipwreck.

MG...still researching Nevis (and St. Kitts). Paul58 appears to be this board's "resident scholar". He offers great information. I think his suggestions, DIY versus excursion, would be enjoyable.

DW is infatuated with the double decker train. But I know she'll be too hot inside and too windy outside. And the cat ride back isn't a sailing cat.

I'm a bit more along the lines of Russell Banks and like the less touristy places, so Nevis may have some appeal.

As you'll be back 2 months before I follow down the same itinerary, I'll be on the lookout for your review. Best, crew

South Friars beach is just below Sir Timothy Hill. It is on the right side of the road before you start going up hill again. There are several beach bar/restaurant on the beach. If you take the first road to your right, you will come to Carambola Beach Club. If you take the second road to the right further down the main road you will find Shipwreck.

I remember passing it on our way to Reggae at Cockelshell a few months ago. It was originally one of my places I had thought about going to before deciding on Cockelshell.

I know that people talk about Shipwreck Bar is kinda "different" because of the black sand from the volcanoes. However, I do remember recent reports saying that most of the beach is eroded at this point and there's less and less of a beach now. Do you have any knowledge of just how bad it is now?

Also when we were here last, a group of people from our roll call went there and they were very disappointed to NOT find much of a black sand beach. While I imagine this could change daily, do you know if most of it is gone and it just happened to be their experience from that day?

We spent the day at the Carambola Beach Club on South Friars beach and had a wonderful day. The scenery was beautiful, the beach club has clean rest rooms and a very nice restaurant. You can reserve chairs and umbrella by going to their facebook page, and I recommend you do reserve ahead of time. You can also just throw your towel on the beach for free if you like.

The snorkeling was actually pretty good. There is a ledge very close to shore that has a bunch of fish. The water was very clear.

I have read all of your reviews, and feel I know you and your wonderful family. That being said, I think you will love South Friars.

Here are a few pics of our day. (first time to try to upload pics, so hope it works).

P2170184.jpg.b9bffab2b2874a8778ff543f033e01a5.jpg

P2170200.jpg.e33e426bc15e18ce47a0ce71b38f28ee.jpg

P2160177.jpg.0315862ca0589c2e757a1fd79b8ec204.jpg

P2170193.jpg.3de1db8010fc1eab756c3e8913a83110.jpg

We spent the day at the Carambola Beach Club on South Friars beach and had a wonderful day. The scenery was beautiful, the beach club has clean rest rooms and a very nice restaurant. You can reserve chairs and umbrella by going to their facebook page, and I recommend you do reserve ahead of time. You can also just throw your towel on the beach for free if you like.

The snorkeling was actually pretty good. There is a ledge very close to shore that has a bunch of fish. The water was very clear.

I have read all of your reviews, and feel I know you and your wonderful family. That being said, I think you will love South Friars.

Here are a few pics of our day. (first time to try to upload pics, so hope it works).

Awesome. Thanks for the information and especially the pictures. I believe we will be booking a day there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have time, they have this great shop on St. Kitts called Sunny Caribbee - they sell seasonings, spices, etc. Lots of samples, and the local ladies in there are super nice! I bought some great stuff in there, and my husband is a hot sauce connoisseur, and he bought what he thinks is the best tasting sauce he's ever had anywhere!!

Have you considered renting a car. This is what we just did a few weeks ago and it gave us the opportunity and freedom to go to several beaches at our leisure.

Could you share any information on the car rental company you used? Did it all go smoothly, was checking in and out easy and was the car ok? We are starting to think about getting cars in a few ports as the tours seem overly expensive and doing the group thing isn't really my cup of tea :-)

Have you considered renting a car. This is what we just did a few weeks ago and it gave us the opportunity and freedom to go to several beaches at our leisure.

This is what we did few years ago. We are going back in January and will again rent a car

Thanks for your post - did you rent a car to get there or were there taxis available at the port? Do you recall the cost for the reserved chairs/umbrella? Looking for a relaxing beach and snorkel day and this sounds great.

Thanks again

Could you share any information on the car rental company you used? Did it all go smoothly, was checking in and out easy and was the car ok? We are starting to think about getting cars in a few ports as the tours seem overly expensive and doing the group thing isn't really my cup of tea :-)

We used Avis in St. Kitts. It is a short walk once you get out of the cruise port. Besides the lady at the counter being incredibly slow everything went smoothly. They do a complete walk thru of the vehicle with you and point out all existing finds and scratches like most rental companies do and then your on your way. We rented a 7 passenger van since we had a larger group and it was a newer style model. Rent g a vehicle Is something we do at most ports since we usually travel in larger groups and find it to be a lot cheaper than excursions and it gives us the freedom of going where we want and when we want.

• 1 month later...