12 packs of sodas ok to bring onboard?

bert425

Well, I have had wait staff in the MDR remember me for my tacky pink can that I take into the MDR for breakfast. Remember we may not all be as refined as others! P. S. Some cruisers may think your comment is tacky.

Even though no one has asked me, I do not think the comment is tacky. I do believe that bringing your own can of soda to the MDR is tacky -- IF they sell that brand onboard the ship. As someone has said, after spending that amount of money on a cruise, why the need to bring your own soda to save a few bucks? (The $50 soda card is just $25 if purchased in advance. Seems like a lot of work to save $25, but that's just me.)

Having said that, I understand people bringing their own soda if it is not available on the ship. I drink Diet Dr. Pepper and would love to have it available onboard. (No, I still don't bring it on -- too much trouble for me.)

Lastly, if you must bring your own drink to the MDR, how about pouring it into a glass in your room before you go to dinner?

Yes, you can, Zbayette. The limit is one 750ml bottle per adult at embarkation. The only limit per cabin is the number of adults who can book in one---that is a maximum of four.

Every bottle in excess of the one per adult at embarkation is subject to the corkage fee. If the "free" bottle is brought to a dining room, or a lounge, then it will be assessed the corkage fee at that time.

Ok thanks, I really hope this is correct so we each get one bottle. :) Thanks for the responses, all.

Ok thanks, I really hope this is correct so we each get one bottle. :) Thanks for the responses, all.

Yes, it's correct - one 750 ml bottle per passenger over age 19. (or whatever the drinking age is.:rolleyes:), which you must carry on. As to the soda - you take your chances. Some have reported the policy is that you must carry it on. Which makes sense.

Thanks, Ruth. It's a long time since I was the minimum drinking age or anyone asked me for my ID.:D

It was reinforced for me when I had my 19-year old grandgirl with me, and tried to buy her a drink on board. Didn't happen.

I learned that if I was caught succeeding passing her a drink, it was a $50,000 fine for me. Didn't have enough on-board credit to cover that. :eek:

We were cruising in Europe, and she was of legal age to drink in every single port. :rolleyes:

It was reinforced for me when I had my 19-year old grandgirl with me, and tried to buy her a drink on board. Didn't happen.

I learned that if I was caught succeeding passing her a drink, it was a $50,000 fine for me. Didn't have enough on-board credit to cover that. :eek:

We were cruising in Europe, and she was of legal age to drink in every single port. :rolleyes:

That must have been tough for her. Where I live in Canada the drinking age is 19.

That must have been tough for her. Where I live in Canada the drinking age is 19.

I don't think it was. The legal drinking age at home is 21, although I am sure she had her share of "illegal" drinking experiences in college.

I bought her a drink in every port, so she didn't go without.

Even though no one has asked me, I do not think the comment is tacky. I do believe that bringing your own can of soda to the MDR is tacky -- IF they sell that brand onboard the ship. As someone has said, after spending that amount of money on a cruise, why the need to bring your own soda to save a few bucks? (The $50 soda card is just $25 if purchased in advance. Seems like a lot of work to save $25, but that's just me.)

Having said that, I understand people bringing their own soda if it is not available on the ship. I drink Diet Dr. Pepper and would love to have it available onboard. (No, I still don't bring it on -- too much trouble for me.)

Lastly, if you must bring your own drink to the MDR, how about pouring it into a glass in your room before you go to dinner?

we drink Diet DP and DP "Ten". . neither of which is available on board. . so yes, we're bringing our own.

the soda card is fountain drink only (and the fountains don't carry what we want). So it's not a question of "a lot of work to save $25". . it will take us 5 minutes to walk to the store next to the hotel and purchase soda to bring with us.

In that case, if we have a suitcase arrive in our stateroom soaked in Mountain Dew we will know where to assign the blame.

I know you don't think they will break and maybe they won't but pressure from crushing will make the cover fly off. The liquid has to go somewhere.

If I were taking pop aboard a ship I would be considerate and carry it on so I wouldn't risk ruining someone else's clothes.

Sapper - I giggled on embarkation day last week in FLL as we watched a forklift lose control of a "full cage" and all the contents got tossed out and rolled all over the ground. Then the staff had to pick everything up and throw it back in. All I could think of was soda and water that might be in those bags or loose in the cage. :eek:

Sapper - I giggled on embarkation day last week in FLL as we watched a forklift lose control of a "full cage" and all the contents got tossed out and rolled all over the ground. Then the staff had to pick everything up and throw it back in. All I could think of was soda and water that might be in those bags or loose in the cage. :eek:

My worst nightmare.:eek:

clothes ruined because of soda. Water doesn't damage too much although some of our formal attire wouldn't appreciate it.

One of the reasons we take hard suitcases on HAL, but even they can't fully protect.

Perish the thought!!---but your post did give me a chuckle.

we drink Diet DP and DP "Ten". . neither of which is available on board. . so yes, we're bringing our own.

the soda card is fountain drink only (and the fountains don't carry what we want). So it's not a question of "a lot of work to save $25". . it will take us 5 minutes to walk to the store next to the hotel and purchase soda to bring with us.

Of course!

Of course!

I agree, the soda card will only get you the fountain drink - not so good. We carry on plastic bottles of ginger ale, and then replenish at a port if we run out. So my roller carry-on usually contains two bottles of wine,and a pack of ginger ale (6 or 12).

Come on people' date=' when you pay this much for a cruise, what's a few bucks for soda? [/quote']

Ummm..I believe you are jumping to conclusions! :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with Money!

I drink only diet Pepsi or Diet Arizona Green Tea.. I can't stand Coke & since HAL does not sell Pepsi products, I carry my own on board ... Probably will carry some Diet Green tea OB our next cruise.. If it is in a waterproof container you can check it, but we normally carry it OB..

BTW I don't carry water OB as the water is much better than we get at home, therefore I drink HAL's tap water.. However, since you obviously need bottled water, I wonder why are you not purchasing HAL's water on Board ?:confused:

To quote you "What's a few bucks for soda (err water), since you pay this much for a cruise?" ;)

Edited by serendipity1499

Interesting video of shaken soda bottles that are then thrown against a hard surface. I can see similar happening in Linda&Vern's scenario....

Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by the fact that some people think that Holland America's luggage handling involves violent shaking and throwing it against hard surfaces?

Also, why is funny when other people's luggage gets dumped in a forklift mishap? (Linda & Vern, you know I'm talking to you. :D)

Edited by POA1

Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by the fact that some people think that Holland America's luggage handling involves violent shaking and throwing it against hard surfaces?

Also, why is funny when other people's luggage gets dumped in a forklift mishap? (Linda & Vern, you know I'm talking to you. :D)

When I watch baggage being handled at the airports - nothing would surprise me.:D HAL baggage handlers have been known to dunk the luggage, too.;)

Never mind about that, did anyone watch (and listen to) the whole video?? :eek::eek::confused:

Edited by Cruising-along

Never mind about that, did anyone watch (and listen to) the whole video?? :eek::eek::confused:

Listened to the video link and IMHO an R (Language) warning would have been appropriate. Surprised that others referenced the video without any concern for the vulgar language.

Edited by Crew News

Listened to the video link and IMHO an R (Language) warning would have been appropriate. Surprised that others referenced the video without any concern for the vulgar language.

My apologies. I have requested that Walt remove the post. I was not aware of the vulgarity.

Nope, didn't listen to it - audio turned right down. Too bad. However the visual got the message across, I think. Good to know that you took the time to watch, though.

Edited by Lizzie68