First cruise for us, diabetic husband

eisfaerie

Hi folks,

We're going on our first cruise on the 20th, leaving from New York, on the NCL Jewel. We're excited and we're trying to find out what we need to take with us.

My husband is diabetic and has to give himself an injection every day. The medicine needs to be kept in a fridge. How do we handle this on the ship? Is there a mini-fridge in the room that we could use?

Sylvie

Contact your cruiseline's "special needs' dept.....if your cabin doesn't have a fridge, they will provide one...and a "sharps" container. Tons of diabetic folks cruise all the time...not a big deal at all. If you need a special diet, let them know about that, when you call!

Many ships have mini-frigs in each cabin. However, not all will keep medicine at the appropriate temperature. My wife had to give herself shots for a while. We made arrangements with the medical center on the Princess ships to keep it in their full size refrigerator.

I'm diabetic and the crew is very helpful. You first need to notify the cruise line of your husbands condition and they may send you a medical form that needs to be filled out and returned to them prior to cruising. When we sailed the fridge really wasn't that cold so the crew made sure we had a bucket full of ice each day to keep the insulin in (keeping it right on top will keep it from getting to cold). They will also put a sharps container in your room. I always made sure to pack little bags of candy just in case I got a low and would make sure to always carry one around. One more tip is to pack more supplies than you think you will need. I always pack double what I need just in case I lose a bottle of insulin or one of the things I need for my insulin pump.

You can ask for a medical refrigeration unit for your cabin, but you need to do that before you leave, via contacting the special needs department. The regular in cabin refrigerators don't keep things cold enough, especially medications. You could also store the meds in the medical facility and go there for the injections.

I'm diabetic and the crew is very helpful. You first need to notify the cruise line of your husbands condition and they may send you a medical form that needs to be filled out and returned to them prior to cruising. When we sailed the fridge really wasn't that cold so the crew made sure we had a bucket full of ice each day to keep the insulin in (keeping it right on top will keep it from getting to cold). They will also put a sharps container in your room. I always made sure to pack little bags of candy just in case I got a low and would make sure to always carry one around. One more tip is to pack more supplies than you think you will need. I always pack double what I need just in case I lose a bottle of insulin or one of the things I need for my insulin pump.

What a gorgeous wedding photo. Loved seeing it. :)

OP...... a great many insulin dependent people cruise and it is very ordinary on all the cruise lines. Notify them of your needs and you will be well provided.

Have a great cruise.

Beauiful picture!!

Thank you for sharing your wedding picture.

Hi folks,

We're going on our first cruise on the 20th, leaving from New York, on the NCL Jewel. We're excited and we're trying to find out what we need to take with us.

My husband is diabetic and has to give himself an injection every day. The medicine needs to be kept in a fridge. How do we handle this on the ship? Is there a mini-fridge in the room that we could use?

Sylvie

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Everyone has given you great advice.

Go and enjoy your cruise.

And the best advice is to take extra supplies as the ship can not get you any.

I am a pumper and my insulin isn't cold most of the time. For the 4 days it is in the pump it is actually at least body temp. and we live in the south so during the summer it is much hotter a lot of the time. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over insulin temps for a few days.

On another note. If you are a pumper, take a back up plan. My pump seems to break when most problematic. So have what you need for your pack up plan long enough for you to get home.

Archived