Imagination vs Inspiration--Any Real Difference?

mcfaddensfarm

I'm looking into taking my husband (who has never cruised before) on a short getaway out of Long Beach so he can get his first taste of cruising. I've been on several cruises, although most have been on Royal Caribbean. The last time I cruised with Carnival was my very first cruise in 2001 on Fantasy.

I know there has been renovations on both Imagination and Inspiration, but I'm wondering if any of you seasoned Carnival cruisers could let me know if there's really any difference between these two ships that do this identical itinerary. Should I choose one over the other for any particular reason(s)? I know these are older ships and some of the wow factors of the newer, bigger ships won't be there, but I still want to make sure my husband's first cruise experience is a good one. I'd love for his first cruise to be a seven day on a large, brand new ship so I can really hook him on cruising, but due to available funds this will be just a quickie to get his toes wet.:p (Plus we live in Idaho so this is the closest port for the cheapest flight.) I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on this.

Only differences are decor and day of week.

Too bad you can't sail a 7 day the Miracle out of Long Beach.

Look into flying into Long Beach (LGB).

Edited by SadieN

Now that the Imagination has undergone its recent updating (got Guy's Burgers and Bkue Iquana Cantina), there's no significant difference between the two ships.

We chose the Imagination (which we enjoyed very much) mainly because of the days it sailed. Since we were driving from LA to Long Beach, we wanted to avoid as much bad traffic as possible. The Imagination sets sail on Sundays for its 4-day cruise and traffic in LA is generally much lighter on Sundays.

I'm looking into taking my husband (who has never cruised before) on a short getaway out of Long Beach so he can get his first taste of cruising. I've been on several cruises, although most have been on Royal Caribbean. The last time I cruised with Carnival was my very first cruise in 2001 on Fantasy.

I know there has been renovations on both Imagination and Inspiration, but I'm wondering if any of you seasoned Carnival cruisers could let me know if there's really any difference between these two ships that do this identical itinerary. Should I choose one over the other for any particular reason(s)? I know these are older ships and some of the wow factors of the newer, bigger ships won't be there, but I still want to make sure my husband's first cruise experience is a good one. I'd love for his first cruise to be a seven day on a large, brand new ship so I can really hook him on cruising, but due to available funds this will be just a quickie to get his toes wet.:p (Plus we live in Idaho so this is the closest port for the cheapest flight.) I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on this.

If you take him on those 2 old clunkers he will never cruise again.

I was just on the Imagination in September and had a great time. If you do this ship, don't miss Epic Rock. All the great rock anthems of the 80's.

He will love Guy's burgers. Plenty to do

I will be on the Inspiration in 2 weeks. Looking forward to Guy's and Studio VIP.

Bob

I've cruised out of Long Beach on these quickie cruises 1-2 times per year for the last 5 years. I've been on both ships, although only the Inspiration after the renovations.

The most relaxing and family-oriented are the 4 days. The 3 days only require a couple days off work for the average person so in my experience they're a younger crowd, a fuller ship, a more party atmosphere.

The Imagination leaves on Thursday and is (almost always) in Ensenada on Friday. Once in a blue moon I have seen the first day as a sea day and it's in Ensenada on Saturday but I'm not sure why. The Inspiration leaves on Friday and is in Ensenada on Saturday. This may seem like a minute detail, but in my experience it's a little quieter in Ensenada when you're there on Friday.

So, if you want a party booze cruise opt for the Inspiration 3 day cruise. I don't mean that in a bad way, that's the one we aim for now that we've figured it out. If you want a younger crowd but are aiming for less crazy do the Imagination.

Thanks for the input everyone!

The most relaxing and family-oriented are the 4 days. The 3 days only require a couple days off work for the average person so in my experience they're a younger crowd, a fuller ship, a more party atmosphere.

I'm hoping to do the four day for two reasons:

1) Both my husband and I grew up in Long Beach and in all the years we lived there we never have been to Catalina Island. So we thought it would be a fun little stop to do.

2) Exactly the reason you stated above. We're hoping for a little less "party crowd" and a little more relaxation.

If you take him on those 2 old clunkers he will never cruise again.

Ha ha! As I mentioned before, my very first cruise ever was on Fantasy and I managed to still love cruising after that. I'm hoping for the same with one of these ships--at least there's been refurbishment.;)

The Imagination sets sail on Sundays for its 4-day cruise and traffic in LA is generally much lighter on Sundays.

Good point! Whenever we come back to Long Beach to visit family, I always make my husband drive the whole time we're in California. I've lived in Idaho for 20 years now and I just can't take that California traffic...

Only differences are decor and day of week.

Too bad you can't sail a 7 day the Miracle out of Long Beach.

Look into flying into Long Beach (LGB).

I wish we could afford to take a 7 day right now, but it's just not in the cards. And we need a vacation (however small it is) ASAP. Whenever I fly out to visit family I always make a point of flying into LGB. Love that airport. I haven't flown into LAX in probably 15 years. :D

I was just on the Imagination in September and had a great time.

I will be on the Inspiration in 2 weeks.

I'd be interested to hear what you thought after being on both recently and whether you preferred one over the other!

Again, I appreciate the input and hopefully I'll be able to make this work, one way or another. Besides, any cruise is a good cruise, right?:p

If you do this ship, don't miss Epic Rock. All the great rock anthems of the 80's.

I have been on many cruises on 5 different cruise lines and Epic Rock is, hands down, the best production show I have ever seen. Do...not...miss...it!

I would say that even though these two ships are some of the oldest and smallest in the fleet, they would still very much have a "wow" factor for a first time cruiser. As others have stated the ships have been renovated and are in pretty good condition. We took some first time cruisers with us onto the Inspiration over the summer, and they were mesmerized upon boarding into the 6-story atrium. I hadn't sailed Carnival in a while before this quick cruise, and I was impressed by all of the entertainment literally everywhere aboard this ship at night. I think you'll both have a blast!

I'd be interested to hear what you thought after being on both recently and whether you preferred one over the other!

Well, we only do 4 day cruises so our experience will be more like yours. Sooooo, we were on the Imagination last February, the Inspiration in March and again in May. Then back on the Imagination in September right after dry dock (where they added Guy's burgers and Blue Iguana). In a couple of weeks we will be back on the Inspiration again. :)

Both are great. Both now have the 2.0 upgrades. I really do like Epic Rock (Imagination) best of all the shows. And I guess I do like the Sun-thurs schedule simply for traffic reasons in LA as we drive from Vegas to the port. So I think a SLIGHT nod to the Imagination might be my preference. However, I really like the current CD on the Inspiration. Dee Brandon may be my fave CD of all that I have sailed with. The barn yard crew on the Imagination is good too (Goose the ED and Donkey the CD), but Dee is a kick.

So, not much help, but like I said, maybe a slight nod to the Imagination.

Bob

So, not much help, but like I said, maybe a slight nod to the Imagination.

Bob

No, that was a great help, thank you! I appreciate the input. I think we're leaning toward Imagination, especially because of the Sun-Thurs schedule. (And who doesn't love a great show, too?!)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm hoping to do the four day for two reasons:

1) Both my husband and I grew up in Long Beach and in all the years we lived there we never have been to Catalina Island. So we thought it would be a fun little stop to do.

2) Exactly the reason you stated above. We're hoping for a little less "party crowd" and a little more relaxation.

Ha ha! As I mentioned before, my very first cruise ever was on Fantasy and I managed to still love cruising after that. I'm hoping for the same with one of these ships--at least there's been refurbishment.;)

Good point! Whenever we come back to Long Beach to visit family, I always make my husband drive the whole time we're in California. I've lived in Idaho for 20 years now and I just can't take that California traffic...

I wish we could afford to take a 7 day right now, but it's just not in the cards. And we need a vacation (however small it is) ASAP. Whenever I fly out to visit family I always make a point of flying into LGB. Love that airport. I haven't flown into LAX in probably 15 years. :D

Again, I appreciate the input and hopefully I'll be able to make this work, one way or another. Besides, any cruise is a good cruise, right?:p

Never done the cruise out of Long Beach but I always enjoy spending the night on the Queen Mary. One of these days I hope to pair a Queen Mary hotel stay with one of the cruises out of Long Beach or San Pedro, but it's always a good time to visit the Queen Mary, whether I'm cruising or not. :)

Edited by Loveboat1995

We got married on the Imagination in August 2014. My husband didn't think he liked cruising. We've done 6 cruises since then including 2 more on the Imagination and have 3 cruises booked in 2017. Clearly the Imagination hooked him. We have not been on the Inspiration simply because we drive from Sacramento and as mentioned above traffic is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk