Serenade of Seas Dining Question

We are used to cruising with NCL but decided to give RCCL a try for New England cruise in October. We have been put on a waiting list for my time dining & been assigned the 5:30 dining time. We normally like to sit at a table for 2 & prefer not to share a table for dinner. If you are assigned a dining time can you request a table for 2 ahead of time or do you request when you get to the MDR? I was told that there are only a few tables for 2 by others who have cruised RCCL in the past. Any information about dining would be greatly appreciated.

If you are in traditional dining, you can request a specific table size from rcldining@rccl.com around 3 weeks ahead of the cruise.

If you can get switched to My Time Dining (either pre-cruise or once onboard), then you request your table size when you show up for dinner.

They do have more 2-tops than in the past...folks nowadays don't like to share! If you aren't moved to MTD before you board, go to the dining room, and reiterate that you want MTD....and ask for a 2-top if you can't get MTD.

... and know, ahead of time, that most of the 2 tops are VERY close to the next tables... like 18 inches apart! You might as well be sitting at the same table with those folks. We often visit the MTD dining room on the day of embarkation and scope out a couple of tables at the ends that we would prefer and ask at the check in desk if any of those are available. We always dine early (soon after MTD opens) and it has rarely been a problem to get one of our desired tables.

If you have not been reconfirmed into MTD prior to the cruise then head to the maitre 'd when you board and request the change. It may not happen until the second evening but usually you can be accommodated. Boarding early helps.

Am I understanding this correctly that only one MDR has MTD? I thought both MDR had MTD. If we keep our assigned dining time can we request a table for two?

There is only one Main Dining Room. There are two decks to this dining room, and one deck may be be assigned to My Time, or My Time might be spread over two decks. There are tables for two in both traditional (fixed) dining and My Time dining.

There is only one Main Dining Room. There are two decks to this dining room, and one deck may be be assigned to My Time, or My Time might be spread over two decks. There are tables for two in both traditional (fixed) dining and My Time dining.

Correct. Have been on this ship twice and Bob is accurate.

• 1 month later...

What happens if you do not get your two top at your assigned MDR time & you don't want to share a table? Do you have to go to the buffet or can you wait till a two top is available? My view is that when we go out to a restaurant we don't get put at a table with strangers so on a cruise we should be able to sit with who we want -- not trying to be antisocial. Guess maybe that is why we like NCL cruises. We are on the waiting list for MTD. Can past cruisers please weigh in of our chances of getting it.

What happens if you do not get your two top at your assigned MDR time & you don't want to share a table? Do you have to go to the buffet or can you wait till a two top is available? My view is that when we go out to a restaurant we don't get put at a table with strangers so on a cruise we should be able to sit with who we want -- not trying to be antisocial. Guess maybe that is why we like NCL cruises. We are on the waiting list for MTD. Can past cruisers please weigh in of our chances of getting it.

If you are in traditional dining, you have to eat at your assigned time. If you cannot get assigned to MTD, and they don't give you a table for two in traditional, then your options are a specialty restaurant or the buffet.

From personal experience, we have cleared the waitlist before the cruise every time (about 6 or 7 times now) except one. The only time we did not clear before the cruise, it was fixed in 2 minutes by the Maitre d' on embarkation day. So success rate so far 100% :)

But first of all, do make sure that you are on the waiting list. If you are correctly placed on the waiting list, it shows in your Cruise Planner on royalcaribbean.com. In preferences and requests it should show your current dining assignement and the waitlist for My Time. This is also where you are able to check if you have cleared the waitlist (the dining room assignment will change to My Time). If it does not show a waitlist, contact whomever you booked the cruise with (travel agent, royal, etc..) to fix it.

Second, in case the waitlist does not clear, on boarding day, check the Cruise Compass (and/or welcome aboard letter) and check for the desk hours of the Maitre d' and head to him as early as possible.

Enjoy your cruise!

-jani

We always request a table for two, but in 4 cruises have never received one. It is always disappointing walking by empty tables for two to arrive at a table for 8. Maybe we would have better luck with my time dining.

On our 2011 cruise on Serenade, we had a table for two right along the edge of the second level, looking down at the first level. If the table arrangement is still the same, these tables are back to back, not side by side, and there are not many of them. If you're assigned my time, find the maitre d ASAP after you board and maybe you'll get lucky.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Forums mobile app

We were able to get confirmed MTD!! My question now is should we make a reservation for a two top at a specific time each night or just show up & ask for a two top? Can you make such a reservation before sailing or once on board?

We were able to get confirmed MTD!! My question now is should we make a reservation for a two top at a specific time each night or just show up & ask for a two top? Can you make such a reservation before sailing or once on board?

You cannot reserve a table size with MTD, you can only reserve a time. With MTD, they assume you don't want to share.