Distance to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park

Tall22

It's funny because a year or so ago when I posted the times, someone suggested I was underestimating. Given my somewhat obsessive nature, I therefore timed it a few times, and after I pay, it takes me 9-10 minutes to be on the beach, and I walk pretty fast.

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to get a taxi to the park from the cruise ship berth? How far would it be to walk from where the taxi drops you off? We have someone in our party who has walking difficulties.

TIA for any info.

The entire Island of KW is only abut 4 1/2 miles!

A four and a half mile walk is very difficult for some people especially in Key West heat. Don't forget, those who walk to the park will need to walk back too. We were trying to walk with a couple in their late seventies to show them Duval Street and we only got about three blocks before they asked if we could drive them around Key West instead. That was a November morning. I hate to think how far we would have gone in August.

Is it possible to get a taxi to the park from the cruise ship berth? How far would it be to walk from where the taxi drops you off? We have someone in our party who has walking difficulties.

TIA for any info.

The taxi will drop you off in the parking lot right near a short path to the beach. You'll probably have to call for the return trip, since taxis don't automatically line up there. I'm not sure how the fee part works, since you pay to get into the park.

I'm sure you can get a taxi from pretty near the cruise ship. I've never done that, so don't know exactly where they pick up cruise ship passengers. I've just seen lots of people being picked up and dropped off at Ft. Zach.

The taxi will drop you off in the parking lot right near a short path to the beach. You'll probably have to call for the return trip, since taxis don't automatically line up there. I'm not sure how the fee part works, since you pay to get into the park.

I'm sure you can get a taxi from pretty near the cruise ship. I've never done that, so don't know exactly where they pick up cruise ship passengers. I've just seen lots of people being picked up and dropped off at Ft. Zach.

You will need to call a taxi from the park to be picked up. 305-296-6666 is the local company I use. The fee works the same as if you drove yourself. I think it is $6-$7 to enter. I'm not sure since I have an annual pass.

This summer has not been good for the beaches here. There is tons of seaweed and the beach at Fort Zachary is mostly gravel and rock. It is really not worth the trip in my opinion, especially since you will likely have much better beaches at other ports. Consider a conch train tour or one of our museums as an alternate, or bring water shoes if you expect to walk on the beach or try to get in the water.