Shipyards and New Ships

Editor Colleen

What are you interested in learning about a new ship when it's in a shipyard?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What are you interested in learning about a new ship when it's in a shipyard?

• Cabins
    • Technology
    • Restaurants
    • Bars and Lounges
    • Lido Deck/Pools
    • Spa
    • Fitness Center
    • Kids' Spaces
    • Something Else (which I'll comment about)

Hi everyone,

With a number of new ships currently being built in shipyards across the world, we started wondering what kinds of things about new builds interest you the most? What are you most anxious to learn about with a new build?

Colleen

Hi everyone,

With a number of new ships currently being built in shipyards across the world, we started wondering what kinds of things about new builds interest you the most? What are you most anxious to learn about with a new build?

Colleen

Hi Colleen.

I'm fascinated by how quickly they put them together. A real art form of "just in time"

I've been watching the Quantum of the Seas build and marvelled at the 2 mega-blocks they created for the Anthem of the Seas. So much so I've booked for the Anthem next June.

As much as I'm not that bothered about the bells and whistles of new ships, I wonder what they'll manage to put onboard next?

Hi Colleen.

I'm fascinated by how quickly they put them together. A real art form of "just in time"

I've been watching the Quantum of the Seas build and marvelled at the 2 mega-blocks they created for the Anthem of the Seas. So much so I've booked for the Anthem next June.

As much as I'm not that bothered about the bells and whistles of new ships, I wonder what they'll manage to put onboard next?

It's such a fascinating process, isn't it? I'm always amazed at the massive scale of the blocks.

I hope you love Anthem.

I'm curious about the new gimmicks which will be selling this ship- will it have a roundabout on the promenade, or somewhere you can walk the plank? Open air cafes, or a central park?

This won't sell the ship to me, but it is fascinating to see the new ideas....what sells a ship to me is an indoor pool. :cool:

Another vote for deck plans. And, details about the size of staterooms and verandas. Seeing the layout of the ship, the locations of elevators and stairwells--how easy will it be to move about the ship, the outside covered deck possibilities where I would hope deck chairs would be placed for those who do not want to constantly be in the Sun, is a forward observation lounge provided as a public room: these are some of the important considerations for me when I first consider a newbuild.

One of my all time dreams as a builder is to tour a ship yard to watch a cruise ship under construction

I love their organisation and the detail involved in the builds

I mean quantum first steel laid in September and she's out and only weeks off sea trials

Amazing for something so hugw

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seeing we could only vote for one thing, I checked restaurants as I've gotten to really enjoy having lots of choices of where to have dinner aside from MDR every night. I don't mind if there is a moderate upcharge.

A bit of a side step, but the way some of you speak of the Quantum suggests there is a webcam or such to see the process. If there is, can you toss the URL.

Also, just now I was thinking of the sameness of many of the new big ships. I realize most of that is just how you move a horizontal skyscraper thru the water and wind without burning too much bunker oil. I enjoy seeing new builds, in part, to see if they is anything about the ship which sets it apart in look save the colours and a logo on the funnel.

Later,

M

How do new ships have less impact on the environment. What energy-saving technology is being used, how is paper use being reduced, etc.

Also, what programs for employee assistance are in place; educational, medical, etc.?

They fully recycle everything

All water is purified before leaving the ship

Low energy lights

Reduced water consumption items

Education of staff and passengers on how to save the waves

Being tough on littering

Solar panels

List goes in

Plus engines themselves are a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My other is: passenger capacity ratios, and capacity of public rooms.

As in, are they building a 5000 passenger ship with MDRs only capable of 3000 dinner guests each night--under the assumption that 40% of passengers will either buy a package to eat at a specialty restaurant every night, or else are among those who despise multi-course dinner service and eat exclusively in the buffet.

Same thing with the main showroom; will it be the usual 1000-1200 capacity? I know the most popular shows will run 3 or 4 times--but will any "one-off" presentations be limited to the 20% of passengers willing to line up an hour early, as is the practice now on most mega-ships.

And maybe most important is the passenger-crew ratio; I know that some of the largest ships actually have better ratios than older mid-sized-by-today's-standard ships, but in the current atmosphere of cost-cutting I could see reduced crew quarters on the horizon.

Edited by fishywood