Where to purchase good fitting mask?

toxicfairy

I have a pretty pink US Dive set. Of course the mask does not seal on me. I only snorkel and only once every year or two ( depending on when we can afford to cruise). We are cruiseing in August. I don't care if it's from a boat or the beach I just love to get in and look around. Last trip I did more stopping to empty and replace my mask than swimming. Where does one go to get a good fitting mask. I know I need to try it on. I have a long face that is kind of narrow and a bigish ( thanks mom and dad) nose. Ordering one won't work I need to try it on and need helpful knowledgeable sales people. Thanks!

Thanks thats what i thought. Now to FIND a dive shop. Any one know how much an average one costs from a shop like that? Also has anyone tryed the stick in bifocal lenses? I saw then online. I can't see close up with out my glasses and don't want a prescription lens for the fact that my eyes are changing with age ( 50 now) don't want to keep replacing expensive masks.

well your post says you are in NJ but not where? There are PLENTY of dive shops in Jersey.

Last time I was in the Keys, at a BIG dive shop ... there was a company that sold a 'system' for eye glass people. They had several mask frames and a slew of basic prescription lens and you could put together a mask that was "perfect" .... sorry don't remember the name.

DD dives with disposable contacts and has for years.

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

http://scubanj.org/NJshoplist.html

South Jersey closest place people understand is Deptford which is 1/2 hour from me. As far as contacts I can't wear them because of a condition i have ( Tourette syndrome) i have more facial twitches than anything else but because of the eye twitches the contacts get too dryed out:eek:

The stick on bifocals work well. I am a scuba diver, as is DH, and we both have them for ready the screen on our cameras underwater.

I have a narrow face, too. Masks are a problem. Look for a mask with a black skirt. It is more flexible than a clear one, different material.

18Nov08_Robin082.jpg

does your LOS cruise depart from Miami or Lauderdale? Ifyes & you are heading down the day b4 you could do this with enuf time to visit the Diver's Direct store in either city

they sell the system I linked .... if the basic mask fits you can buy the lens right there and be good to go.

OR how about this ..... order it from diversdirect.com and test the fit in the bath tub or a pool. If the mask does not fit/leaks you can return it ....

Simple Return Policy

Divers Direct will gladly refund the purchase price or exchange items purchased from us that do not meet your expectations. Simply present your return in new condition, along with your receipt within thirty days of purchase, and we’ll provide you with a full refund.

the mask you see in the picture I posted is the same mask btw .... dd just uses contacts rather than 'scrip lens. We went to a Divers Direct and she tried a bunch of masks and this one fit her the best. She has around 200 dives on it now .... no complains or desire to replace.

I've bought a good bit of gear from Divers Direct .... never been disappointed. I'd trust their return policy.

BUT I ALSO RECOMMEND your local dive shop - support your local small business.

i have more facial twitches than anything

it is possible your 'issue' is here and not mask fit. possibly this causes the seal of the mask to the face to separate and allow water in.

does your LOS cruise depart from Miami or Lauderdale? Ifyes & you are heading down the day b4 you could do this with enuf time to visit the Diver's Direct store in either city

they sell the system I linked .... if the basic mask fits you can buy the lens right there and be good to go.

OR how about this ..... order it from diversdirect.com and test the fit in the bath tub or a pool. If the mask does not fit/leaks you can return it ....

Simple Return Policy

Divers Direct will gladly refund the purchase price or exchange items purchased from us that do not meet your expectations. Simply present your return in new condition, along with your receipt within thirty days of purchase, and we’ll provide you with a full refund.

the mask you see in the picture I posted is the same mask btw .... dd just uses contacts rather than 'scrip lens. We went to a Divers Direct and she tried a bunch of masks and this one fit her the best. She has around 200 dives on it now .... no complains or desire to replace.

I've bought a good bit of gear from Divers Direct .... never been disappointed. I'd trust their return policy.

BUT I ALSO RECOMMEND your local dive shop - support your local small business.

i have more facial twitches than anything

it is possible your 'issue' is here and not mask fit. possibly this causes the seal of the mask to the face to separate and allow water in.

Cruise departs from Galveston. As far as the twitches i don't think they affect it since I'm usually so calm and peaceful in the water it just seems to stop. It's a strange thing it was severe when i was a kid ( and back then they had no idea what it was...took 6 years to get diagnosed!) As the years went by it's not so bad , actually worse fall/winter. Oh well such is life!

Thanks for the tip. I really like the mask in the picture.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Google pops up 3 dive shops in Galveston. If you get there a day early, you should have no trouble getting fitted for a decent mask. :) The kits are good for first time snorkelers, or for people who just want to swim and maybe see fish. For anything more, a good mask and decent snorkel really make sense.

The stick on bifocals work well. I am a scuba diver, as is DH, and we both have them for ready the screen on our cameras underwater.

I have a narrow face, too. Masks are a problem. Look for a mask with a black skirt. It is more flexible than a clear one, different material.

18Nov08_Robin082.jpg

Stick on bifocals! My first mask was a bifocal mask for reading guages, but I bought a mask with a go pro mount and replaced it. I'll look for stick on bifocals when I visit my shop tomorrow.

I highly recommend the Tribord Easybreath full face mask for snorkeling. My wife hated snorkeling. Could never find a mask to fit her or one that didn't leak, or fog up. She hated the mouthpiece on the snorkel which always hurt her mouth. She said it was torture. I bought her the full face mask for our last cruise and I couldn't get her out of the water. Didn't leak, didn't fog up, and was very comfortable. I used it as well though it was too small for my face but it worked and I'm going to order one for myself.

recently been through the process of looking for a good fitting mask myself. I went to a local Dive shop. They got me to put the mask to my face sharply and deeply breath in through my nose. If the mask suck to your face and sticks without the use of the strap it fits. Took me a while to get the right mask because I have a beard. But the Mares Wahoo fitted me and so I bought one.

Here is my wife wearing hers a couple weeks ago in Cozumel. Simply breath in and out. No mouthpiece but your nose and mouth are separated inside the mask. Draw air in the top, no fogging, no leaking since it covers your whole face. You don't have to clear your mask when you come up. You don't have to clear water out of your snorkel. It is very comfortable to wear. We snorkeled for at least 45 minutes and she didn't take it off once. It worked so well for my wife it makes you wonder why someone didn't think of it before.

Hers is a size for women/children. She has a small face. I could use it but it only came down just below my lip, not my chin. Also not good for diving since you can't pinch your nose to equalize pressure. I did go down to 10-15 feet it didn't leak at all and the snorkel part closes under water. You don't have to blow it out, it just opens back up when you come up. For just snorkeling these things are the best thing since sliced bread.

I scuba but given a choice I will never wear a conventional mask again for snorkeling.

381_zpsiumfhelm.jpg

Edited by mac66

Here is my wife wearing hers a couple weeks ago in Cozumel. Simply breath in and out. No mouthpiece but your nose and mouth are separated inside the mask. Draw air in the top, no fogging, no leaking since it covers your whole face. You don't have to clear your mask when you come up. You don't have to clear water out of your snorkel. It is very comfortable to wear. We snorkeled for at least 45 minutes and she didn't take it off once. It worked so well for my wife it makes you wonder why someone didn't think of it before.

Hers is a size for women/children. She has a small face. I could use it but it only came down just below my lip, not my chin. Also not good for diving since you can't pinch your nose to equalize pressure. I did go down to 10-15 feet it didn't leak at all and the snorkel part closes under water. You don't have to blow it out, it just opens back up when you come up. For just snorkeling these things are the best thing since sliced bread.

I scuba but given a choice I will never wear a conventional mask again for snorkeling.

381_zpsiumfhelm.jpg

What make is it? There's so many & I'm sure some are better than others. I imagine you get some cheap copies of the better models and designs. Unfortunately to late to find out when in the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tribord Easybreath. I did a lot of research and kept coming back to this one. I then had my daughter research them and the Tribord had the best reviews. I think I paid $65 on Amazon.

That's good Tribord is the one I've been looking at cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums