Why?

Love.II.Cruise

I don't understand why Windstar would expand its fleet by purchasing cruise ships without sails?!? It makes no sense to me. If I'm going to sail Windstar, it will be on the ships with sails.

Perhaps some will say that the ships they bought had a Watersports platform... but it is still missing the sail. What do others think?

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I love the sails but given that I adore the small ships, the amazing service, the great itinerarys, I really like the company, perhaps trying out the balconies trading off with the sails. I do not know, 2015 Tall Ships after that might try their ship with a balcony. Wish they would buy the Club Med sister ship to the Windsurf. Happy a Sailing Susanne

Having sailed on the sailing Windstar ships 5 times I was a little skeptical at first. Having just returned from sailing on the Star Pride I can only say that Windstar made a wonderful decision. We still love the sailing ships, but the cabins on the Star Pride are much more comfortable, we love the French balcony, the dining venues are great as well as the food, and the crew, from the captain on down, are all spectacular. We felt like we were the most important people on the ship.

We normally choose our cruises by the itinerary and I would not hesitate to sail on any of the Windstar ships.

Polecat

On one cruise I was chatting with the captain who said that the sailed ships they have are nearing the end of their functional life and that it would be ghastly expensive to either reequip to modern standards or to build replacements. (take this with a grain of salt, this was just casual conversation.) Even if so, I'm not convinced that buying "used" vessels that other companies want to get rid of is a solid long-term business plan.

Club Med is in financial trouble, the have the sister to the Wind Surf, I hope they buy her. The new company seems to be putting lots of money into the sailing vessels. I have heard they have a good 20 years with care. I hops so, we just love our traveling on them. Susanne

Club Med is in financial trouble, the have the sister to the Wind Surf, I hope they buy her. The new company seems to be putting lots of money into the sailing vessels. I have heard they have a good 20 years with care. I hops so, we just love our traveling on them. Susanne

That would be terrific if they could get Surf's sister!

On one cruise I was chatting with the captain who said that the sailed ships they have are nearing the end of their functional life and that it would be ghastly expensive to either reequip to modern standards or to build replacements. (take this with a grain of salt, this was just casual conversation.) Even if so, I'm not convinced that buying "used" vessels that other companies want to get rid of is a solid long-term business plan.

If they are nearing the end of their functional life, why did they renovate the sailing ships? Perhaps I misread your post.

I heard the Windstar sail ships have a good 20 more years of service, with care and it seems the new owners care, the new renovations are terrific. I will be 85 in 20 years and hopefully still sailing! Susanne

If they are nearing the end of their functional life, why did they renovate the sailing ships? Perhaps I misread your post.

I was just relating what I was told by a captain, and this was well before the recent renovations. It sounded like at some point all the guts would need to be torn out and replaced as they'd be obsolete and no longer repairable (this isn't about paint and carpet, but about things like navigation, engines, stabilizers, etc.)

I heard the Windstar sail ships have a good 20 more years of service, with care and it seems the new owners care, the new renovations are terrific. I will be 85 in 20 years and hopefully still sailing! Susanne

I also heard that "20 year" line about 10 years ago. I hope they can keep these going as long as possible.

I always understood Wind Surf was Club Med 2, and so does Wikipedia and other sites. But no matter, she was a Club Med first. We sailed her soon after she became Surf, and she was hardly shipshape. Crew obviously unhappy, passengers unhappy, food service lousy etc. Later, while sailing on Wind Star and talking to her captain, he advised me, after I mentioned almost not returning to Windstar ships after Windstar ignored my letter about Surf, he said: "You and about 3,000 other passengers!" He told me many, many letters were sent, and the Surf crew was so unhappy they pooled their money and bought the pres/CEO of the parent company a cruise on Surf (owner then was Holland America, I think?).

Anyway, per the Star captain, when this man came to sail on the ship, he looked at the narrow ladder that went to the uppermost deck of the ship, and began the long climb up, but pulled out a marker about 1/3 up, put large "x" on the hull and said: "New entry, here!" When he returned, Surf was taken out of service so every 2 of the smaller cabins could become one, the kitchen could be totally gutted, and that new entry added, etc. We weren't going to ever sail Surf again, but we heard good things, did sail again, and what a difference.

A funny from our first sailing on Surf soon after she left Club Med. One morn, we looked out our porthole and directly opposite us was the sister Club Med ship.....both ships looking identical at that time. And all the Club Med passengers looking at us, from the decks or and their portholes. A complete mirror image!

The actual owners of Windstar got the company for a song. Holland America sold Windstar to Ambassador for a reportedly $100 million back in the early 2000 and then Ambassador was placed under chapter 11. The Windstar division was on the auction block in 2011 and the actual owner paid around $39 million for the company. They can certainly put money in the ships for quite a while. Major issue are probably the engine which use higher sulfur content that is admissible under current law. The sailing ships cannot go into american port for this reason.

2011 - A unit of Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz — TAC Cruise LLC — is on its way to owning Ambassadors International Inc., operator of Windstar Cruises, according to a news report. The company won a bankruptcy auction for virtually all the assets of Ambassadors International (Pink Sheets AMIEQ) with an offer of about $39 million, Bloomberg reported Tuesday

I heard from a fellow passenger recently that the new ships can go into ports that the sailing ships cannot. Istanbul was mentioned as an example.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I heard from a fellow passenger recently that the new ships can go into ports that the sailing ships cannot. Istanbul was mentioned as an example.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

?? They've been going into Istanbul for years.

Unless I am mistaken, the Windsurf could easily clear the two bridges between Istanbul and the Black Sea, and the Windstar and Windspirit could clear, paying attention to the tidal conditions. I am not familiar with the range of tide, but the Surf is listed at 50 meters, the Star and Spirit at 62 m, with both bridges listed at 64 m above sea level. Of course I am sitting at my computer in Reno, NV and don't have to run up to the Black Sea. I have traveled nearly up to the Black Sea in a private yacht when we were visiting relatives in Istanbul, but of course, the Windstar just docks in the New District area.

I guess it depends on whether the measurement of the masts is from the deck or the waterline. If it is from the deck, then they wouldn't be able to pass under, if from the waterline then they would be OK.

I based my answer on what I was told by one of the captains during a cruise.

Found this on the "Bosphorus Strait News" (inquiring minds need to know):

Passage Restrictions

16,122 views / Last Update: Nov 1st, 2013

AIR DRAUGHT: Vessels that sail through the Strait of Istanbul in compliance with the traffic separation scheme shall pay attention to the warning lights of the bridges regarding sailing safety. Vessels, whose air draft is 58 meters and more may not pass through the Strait of Istanbul. Vessels, whose air draft is between 54 and 58 meters shall be accompanied by a tug boat of a number and force to be determined by the Administration to ensure that they keep their course.

Back to the original comment. Some months before Windstar bought the new ships, they did send out a questionnaire to past guests about Windstar having ships that did not have sails. I, for one, responded that the sails were only part of why we sail on Windstar. The biggest reason we sail Windstar is the small ships and the personality of the crew. Yes, playing 1492 and raising the sails at departure is a fantastic thing but the personality of Windstar is what has us coming back time and time again.

Back to the original comment. Some months before Windstar bought the new ships, they did send out a questionnaire to past guests about Windstar having ships that did not have sails. I, for one, responded that the sails were only part of why we sail on Windstar. The biggest reason we sail Windstar is the small ships and the personality of the crew. Yes, playing 1492 and raising the sails at departure is a fantastic thing but the personality of Windstar is what has us coming back time and time again.

Indeed. I'd actually be happy if I never had to listen to 1492 again.

Indeed. I'd actually be happy if I never had to listen to 1492 again.

Ouch! Nope, we liked it. :) But we've only done 2 windstar cruises (with sails, after the survey to past guests went out). If we get sick of it, I guess we might start to think we are doing it too often and need to branch out.