Belgian beer

screwcork

The wife and I were on the Whisper last November in the Caribbean and had Stella in our suite,but I was lucky as at the pool bar they managed to find me some Leffe and beautiful it was too.I was politely asked to not spread to word as there was only limited stock.So i'm pretty sure Silversea would make a real effort if you contacted Guest Services before you cruise.

Could anybody inform me whether Silversea happends to serve any Belgian brands on their European cruises?
Last summer on the Cloud, after a stop in Oostende and Antwerp, the following beers were available:

• Trappist beers from Chimay; white and red label (not blue)
  • Abbey beer from Leffe
  • Amber Ale from De Koninck (wildly popular in Antwerp)
  • Pils from Stella Artois

I'm a great fan of Belgian beer. Could anybody inform me whether Silversea happends to serve any Belgian brands on their European cruises?

Screwcork

Have been on all 5 of the classic ships in the last 2 years and they have all had Hoegaarden onboard.

Thank you for useful information!

If I should hope for a Belgian beer onboard, it should be a Leffe (Blonde)!

Screwcork

Hi,

If they cannot get Leffe Blonde then Duvel and Hoegaarden are fairly similar.

Enjoy you beer ..... and your cruise ....

Jeff

Really? Your stock has just gone down.

I have to admit that I, too, am disappointed. Three totally different beers. :confused:

Although not Silversea, I have been requesting Belgian Beer on Regent recently and they have been stocking when possible. Once Duvel. once Orval, and I think I have seen Leffe onboard (I prefer brown to blonde).

Marc

Edited by Marq

Interesting!

Neither of you seemed anxious to provide the OP with a better informed and therefore more helpful suggestion?!

:confused:

Of the Silversea ships, I have sailed only Silver Explorer to Antarctica where I didn't drink much beer (no deck time) so I am not of much use in answering the OP's question. I have been following this thread to hear from those with knowledge. All I was doing was agreeing with oregon550 that you, of all people, would make such an error regarding Belgian beer. We expect complete knowledge from you on food and drink. I believe this statement, it is not being made with any sarcasm. That is why I was so surprised at your post.

Marc

Of the Silversea ships, I have sailed only Silver Explorer to Antarctica where I didn't drink much beer (no deck time) so I am not of much use in answering the OP's question. I have been following this thread to hear from those with knowledge. All I was doing was agreeing with oregon550 that you, of all people, would make such an error regarding Belgian beer. We expect complete knowledge from you on food and drink. I believe this statement, it is not being made with any sarcasm. That is why I was so surprised at your post.

Marc

Marc,

I'm confused. Which is it?

You either feel that you know and are experienced enough about the taste of the three beers to be suprised at my lack of knowledge (and therefore presumably can offer a better and more helpful suggestion) .... or not?

Have you tasted all three beers?

:confused:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi,

It was not my intention to start a discussion on Belgian beer!

However, I have to agree that Leffe (Blonde), Hoegaarden and Duvel are three very different beers. To me, Leffe (6,6%) is a perfect all-round beer which can be drunk summer and winter, day and night, with or without food. Duvel (8,5%) is also an excellent beer, but a little bit too heavy for a sunny day on deck. Hoegaarden (4,9%), on the other hand, is in my opinion too light to be regarded as a real beer!

Screwcork

Hi,

It was not my intention to start a discussion on Belgian beer!

However, I have to agree that Leffe (Blonde), Hoegaarden and Duvel are three very different beers. To me, Leffe (6,6%) is a perfect all-round beer which can be drunk summer and winter, day and night, with or without food. Duvel (8,5%) is also an excellent beer, but a little bit too heavy for a sunny day on deck. Hoegaarden (4,9%), on the other hand, is in my opinion too light to be regarded as a real beer!

Screwcork

Fair enough. All beers are different. I tried to suggest alternatives that you might like to try and might be available - that have been on SS - rather than those that will probably not be available.

Enjoy your cruise.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

No good ever seems to come from simply trying to help ... :D

We'll done jeff for trying to help.

You can't help some people can you.

The other thing that makes me laugh on these boards is when someone asks a question that requires an exact answer,the amount of posters that post but do not have the answer to the question is often,I mean if you don't know,why post.

ie what is the house Champagne served on board?

Answer: I do not drink Champagne but they have Guiness on board.:D

We'll done jeff for trying to help.

You can't help some people can you.

The other thing that makes me laugh on these boards is when someone asks a question that requires an exact answer,the amount of posters that post but do not have the answer to the question is often,I mean if you don't know,why post.

ie what is the house Champagne served on board?

Answer: I do not drink Champagne but they have Guiness on board.:D

it's debilitatin' mate. And not in a nice way. I use to 'ave reserves of debilitation but now it's debilitated. It's all gorn. They can go to the bar and have the Prosecco beer for all I care.

:(

Did you see that other thread title that made me chuckle.

"Shadow cruise director"

Is that a bit like shadow Home Secretary

A cruise director from another line comes on and gives him a hard time.:D

Edited by Mr Luxury