Are Cabin Upgrades linked to upgrade preferences?

Was wondering about guests getting notification from the cabin upgrade ferry, and I decided to sign in to my RCCL acct & look at my RCCL personal profile. Under my upgrade preferences section, I noticed it was completely left blank. It has many choices such as "I prefer an automatic upgrade", I want an upgrade but have restrictions", etc. So I was wondering do you have to have any of those preferences checked in order for the upgrade ferry to call you? And what would happen if I checked the box that said, "I prefer an automatic upgrade", and an upgrade became available would they contact me to let me know what the upgrade is maybe the upgraded cabin is in a less desirable part of the ship and I would rather keep my existing cabin or would they just upgrade me and give me no choice. Just wondering if it is wise to go in and update the information on my profile.

Yes you should check one of the boxes. If you check the automatic upgrade they most likely will NOT call you first.

You can call C and A and ask them to put in there to please call first. I don't know why they don't have that as an option for you to check

I have the automatic upgrade box checked and have been upgraded twice, they did not call either time. I will take any upgrade regardless of location :)

Edited by molly361

I was worried about this too. I like to choose a mid-ship room. Last cruise on Explorer I had a mid-ship Oceanview. When we checked in, we had been upgraded to a balcony room and it was also mid-ship. We were not contacted and my preference online is automatic upgrade.

Edited by EMED2010
Sp

Yes you should check one of the boxes. If you check the automatic upgrade they most likely will NOT call you first.

You can call C and A and ask them to put in there to please call first. I don't know why they don't have that as an option for you to check

I have the automatic upgrade box checked and have been upgraded twice, they did not call either time. I will take any upgrade regardless of location :)

Me to, no need to call me.:D

Was wondering about guests getting notification from the cabin upgrade ferry,...
Maybe the upgrade fairy will give you an upgrade, and the upgrade ferry will transport you to your wildest dreams! :D

Guest maddycat

When I called C&A and asked to be called before being upgraded, I was told that they do not do that. This was a couple of days ago.

Edited by maddycat

If there are upgrades available, I think they will go with automatic upgrades first. Easy and quick, and no need to place phone calls.

When we received an upgrade, we just noticed that our cabin number had changed. It was a wonderful surprise. :)

Maybe the upgrade fairy will give you an upgrade, and the upgrade ferry will transport you to your wildest dreams! :D

LOL:D

Edited by Coralc

When I called C&A and asked to be called before being upgraded, I was told that they do not do that. This was a couple of days ago.

Maybe another New change? I know that they used to do it:confused: Or else you got misinformation. I know that you used to be able to do that. I would call them again

Edited by molly361

• 4 weeks later...

While I have never had an upgrade (30 cruises), I still can hope! I am currently in a D-2 on Navigator, 10-19-14. if I check automatic upgrade and if I were to be fortunate and receive an upgrade would it be a JS or above or a D-1 or D-3.....any thoughts?

Guest maddycat
While I have never had an upgrade (30 cruises), I still can hope! I am currently in a D-2 on Navigator, 10-19-14. if I check automatic upgrade and if I were to be fortunate and receive an upgrade would it be a JS or above or a D-1 or D-3.....any thoughts?

D-3 would not be an upgrade.

It would be a JS. They would not just move you from a D2 to a D1.

Have all of those 30 cruises been on Royal Caribbean?

When I had a cabin that I wanted to keep last Dec., I called and told them I didn't want an upgrade. I didn't want to lose my corner aft cabin and didn't trust doing it on line. They screw things up too much. Then after the cruise, I changed it back to automatic upgrade. Still waiting.:(

They did call me a couple days before my cruise this past March, but just to tell me to have a nice cruise.:rolleyes::mad:

Gwen :)

It would be a JS. They would not just move you from a D2 to a D1.

Have all of those 30 cruises been on Royal Caribbean?

48 total cruises...30 On Royal......yes I am happily addicted! My 15 year old granddaughter has been 0n 24 and is studying hospitality and tourism in school, she wants to be a cruise director....I kinda rubbed off on her :)