Southwest Good for Cruise?

MrBanana1240

I love when that happens on my way home. Normally the airline then delivers the bag(s) right to my house - no need to carry them home myself!

Wouldn't it be nice if they would send you a text message to notify you when this happens. Then you wouldn't have to spend 30 minutes watching the carousel go round and round. Then another 30 minutes in the lost luggage line.

Just land, turn on phone. Have text message saying " Sorry Frugaltravel, your luggage missed their connections. Go home and we'll deliver them to you as soon as possible. As an apology, you will receive whatever mileage your luggage accrued on this extra trip." :eek:

Wouldn't it be nice if they would send you a text message to notify you when this happens. Then you wouldn't have to spend 30 minutes watching the carousel go round and round. Then another 30 minutes in the lost luggage line.

Just land, turn on phone. Have text message saying " Sorry Frugaltravel, your luggage missed their connections. Go home and we'll deliver them to you as soon as possible. As an apology, you will receive whatever mileage your luggage accrued on this extra trip."

Airlines are getting there. This is what I got the last time my bags didn't travel on my flight. But I did have to stop at the baggage services desk to give them the forwarding details to the place where I wanted the bags sent. Then we were out of there, about the time the first bags starting arriving on the belt.

The friends live close enough to the airport that he just ran over to get their bags before the airline could get them out to them.

We had to wait for FedEx to bring ours, as we live 100 miles away. That took an extra couple of days, and the FedEx trucks are always quite dirty, therefore our bag was quite dirty.

Just land, turn on phone. Have text message saying " Sorry Frugaltravel, your luggage missed their connections. Go home and we'll deliver them to you as soon as possible. As an apology, you will receive whatever mileage your luggage accrued on this extra trip." :eek:

Delta already has a way to track your checked baggage either online at delta.com or through their app. Alaska Air already has a 20 minute baggage guarantee - your bag will be on the carousel within 20 minutes of the aircraft door opening upon arrival or you get a voucher for 2,500 miles or $25 (or is it $20?) off your next flight. They rarely have to pay up.

Ok, here is my confusion. :confused: With the EZ check, the cruise line checks you in. With early bird, SW checks you in. So what happens if you do early bird and also want to do EZ through the cruise line so you don't have to lug luggage. How does that work? :)

I also realize early bird does not guarantee an A position. Our friends once used EB and we just checked in at the 24 mark and we where in an A position ahead of them. Go figure.

Edited by janetz

Ok, here is my confusion. :confused: With the EZ check, the cruise line checks you in. With early bird, SW checks you in. So what happens if you do early bird and also want to do EZ through the cruise line so you don't have to lug luggage. How does that work? :)

I also realize early bird does not guarantee an A position. Our friends once used EB and we just checked in at the 24 mark and we where in an A position ahead of them. Go figure.

Having never had the faith to put my bags in the hand of yet another middle man, I will say that I have never actually done a cruise line check in/bag handling procedure. But my guess is that they would go on 24 hours ahead to check you in...but at that point, Early Bird check in has already checked you in. And you cannot check in twice - them attempting to check you in does not cancel out the EB check in (you would keep that original EB check in spot)

The fact that you did not do EB and ended up ahead of someone who did would make me really, really pissed off if I were your friends. I would demand a refund of the EB money from Southwest and never use EB again.

Edited by Zach1213

EB checks you in at the 36 hour mark, but before the system checks in EB purchasers it checks in the A LIST and Business Select folk. If one of the A list passengers cancels their flight after being auto - checked in, but before the 24 hour mark, their spot is reassigned to people checking in at T-24.

EB is a cap shoot. I've always gotten A or high B, once as high as A 20, once as low as B 05. What it does is make sure I don't have C boarding group at the end of a cruise. If in A or high B m it means you and your partner can sit together, and if the flight is not full and you sit near the back of the plane, you will probably get the middle empty. They state in writing there are no guarantees though.

EB checks you in at the 36 hour mark, but before the system checks in EB purchasers it checks in the A LIST and Business Select folk. If one of the A list passengers cancels their flight after being auto - checked in, but before the 24 hour mark, their spot is reassigned to people checking in at T-24.

EB is a cap shoot. I've always gotten A or high B, once as high as A 20, once as low as B 05. What it does is make sure I don't have C boarding group at the end of a cruise. If in A or high B m it means you and your partner can sit together, and if the flight is not full and you sit near the back of the plane, you will probably get the middle empty. They state in writing there are no guarantees though.

Yeah this is key to know. In theory, someone with EB could end up with C. Has it ever happened? Who knows. But in theory it could.

I think the interline argument is often misunderstood. People say WN doesn't interline, and that in turn leads some to make the false assumption that the legacy airlines interline all the time, and that is not true. People often don't realize how many delays are actually weather related, and when it's weather it's not the airline's fault so they really have no obligation to go out of their way to do anything, including put you on another airline. You probably have a much better chance of being interlined if a) the issue is mechanical, b) you are at a connecting point in your itinerary rather than the origin or destination, and/or c) you are an elite level frequent flyer.

Edited by waterbug123

You probably have a much better chance of being interlined if a) the issue is mechanical, b) you are at a connecting point in your itinerary rather than the origin or destination, and/or c) you are an elite level frequent flyer.

Yeah, that's true - but sometimes just asking about seat availability on another airline is all it takes - when I had a canceled connection on US Air in CLT last year, all I had to ask was if Air Canada had availability on their outgoing flights before US did and the service rep happily rebooked me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, that's true - but sometimes just asking about seat availability on another airline is all it takes - when I had a canceled connection on US Air in CLT last year, all I had to ask was if Air Canada had availability on their outgoing flights before US did and the service rep happily rebooked me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Well, as I pointed out, you probably have a better shot at being interlined if it's a connecting flight that's cancelled. Yours was a connection so that makes sense. The airline has a greater responsibility to put you up if they strand you in the middle of your itinerary as opposed to your originating or destination airport. ALso, why was your flight cancelled?

Edited by waterbug123