Have you experienced the strange phenomenon of "Cruise Hair"?

sunshinevibes

I'm wondering if you have experienced the strange phenomenon of what I have decided to dub "Cruise Hair" - uncharacteristically shiny and silky smooth hair but only when cruising?

I have been on four cruises in the last year and a half and each time I've noticed that after I wash my hair on board it looks and feels amazing. I don't do anything special - I only ever use the shampoo/conditioner provided and also the hairdryer in the cabin, yet it looks 100 times better with zero effort than when I spend hours pampering/styling at home!

Has anyone else noticed this too? I've sailed on both Princess and P&O Australia ships so I don't think it can be put down to the shampoo, unless they use the same brand. Could it be something to do with the water on the ship? The hairdryer wattage? Fresh, sea air? I would love to know your experiences and theories!

I'm wondering if you have experienced the strange phenomenon of what I have decided to dub "Cruise Hair" - uncharacteristically shiny and silky smooth hair but only when cruising?

I have been on four cruises in the last year and a half and each time I've noticed that after I wash my hair on board it looks and feels amazing. I don't do anything special - I only ever use the shampoo/conditioner provided and also the hairdryer in the cabin, yet it looks 100 times better with zero effort than when I spend hours pampering/styling at home!

Has anyone else noticed this too? I've sailed on both Princess and P&O Australia ships so I don't think it can be put down to the shampoo, unless they use the same brand. Could it be something to do with the water on the ship? The hairdryer wattage? Fresh, sea air? I would love to know your experiences and theories!

Soft water

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The WATER on the ship is VERY "soft"...no minerals to make it "hard"....that's why a teensy bit of shampoo will lather and lather and lather....very hard to rinse it out! And yes..that certainly can cause itching!

Most water in homes is "hard"...especially well-water....that's VERY hard to get detergents to lather.

There is another factor too and that is the high humidity of being out on the ocean.

I love the OP's expression "Cruise Hair" because I certainly have it on every cruise. I have baby fine hair and as soon as the ship leaves port the combination of humidity, reverse osmosis water and wind makes my hair completely unmanageable.

I have a water softener at home. I have thick wavy shoulder length hair. I usually flat iron it.

However on ship it goes crazy I even use my usual products. I think it is the humidity.

I went to the spa and had a blowout and she had a hard time getting it to smooth down. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a Caribbean cruise two weeks ago and my straight hair was awful. No body, no lift, just flat and sad even after using my normal products. Soft water plus humidity and wind was not a good combination for me! But not a reason to not cruise again!

I have naturally curly hair. For work, I have to have it pulled back, away from my face. Because I am one to take advantage of every second before I must be at work, I do a quick blow dry and it's ponytail time...

When I'm on vacation, I let my hair have it's own way. I don't wash it everyday (just like at home), but I do rinse it out if I've been working out or in a pool or in the ocean/sea. I use the shampoo/conditioner provided. If I'm somewhere with humidity, it rewards me with lots of curls, but it loses about an inch or more from my low-humidity home environment (where my hair will just naturally wave instead of curl). I took a photo of my hair, front and back, from my last trip to Puerto Rico to show my stylist - she did not believe my hair would curl like it did!

Don't worry about your hair - you're on vacation!!!