14 Points Shy of Elite

DanL

Being given contradictory or wrong information by a Celebrity phone rep is not unusual. With endless types of policies and so many reps, it's bound to happen. The most recent occurrence was when I was talking to a rep about taking a veranda guarantee for the first time. He told me that Celebrity takes into account that I am Elite when assigning a cabin. That didn't sound right to me.....there are thousands of us. I checked with another rep who confirmed that the first rep was mistaken. He told me that just the day before he had to deal with an upset Zenith. Their traveling companions on their first Celebrity cruise were upgraded substantially. As unhappy as the Zenith passenger was, they did not get an upgrade.

On the Aust /NZ forum is a thread about the pompousness and snobbery of RCCL Diamond and Platinum members by flouting their pins in front of others implying that they are better than others. I thought Celebrity Elite and above members were above that sort of thing but apparently I am wrong. We are a bit egalitarian downunder and status symbols aren't so important. If a perk is on the offing however we are in.

Wanting something for nothing!

• 5 months later...

I am the OP. I recall that we canceled a Celebrity Cruise in 2015 due to a death in the family. I called the captain's club and said since they got their money shouldn't I get some points. They agreed and gave us enough points for Elite.

Didn't think of that until a friend said it was a celebrity cruise that we cancelled

I am the OP. I recall that we canceled a Celebrity Cruise in 2015 due to a death in the family. I called the captain's club and said since they got their money shouldn't I get some points. They agreed and gave us enough points for Elite.

Didn't think of that until a friend said it was a celebrity cruise that we cancelled

Wow! Good for you, sincerely! However, I must say that this is in direct contradiction to their policies and what they have done for others in similar situations. To get the points, you need to not only pay, but COMPLETE the sailing. I recall reading a post a while back of someone who had to leave a cruise early due to a medical emergency, and Celebrity denied them the points for the sailing (assuming you believe what you read here).

This is yet another case of X being consistent in their inconsistency.

Mike

Edited by mandream

OP..take the extra cruise to get the next level or wait til required points are earned and credited. That's what we all did.

Agree that some perks are helpful...laundry, internet, breakfast, cocktail hr but would it would be quite unfair to see everyone who is close or not really that close being bumped up...

Ugh, I will be at 295 after the cruise after my upcoming one. That one is 14 days and an upgrade to concierge would be expensive. I guess I'm in the same boat and am kinda bummed now. See? This stuff is common.

Edited by SandG