Where to keep valuables while snorkeling?

Stranger101

Hi I'm new to cruising and going on my first cruise in January (9 nights New Caledonia). I would like to go snorkeling but unsure where your belongings go when doing that? Are they kept on the beach or safely stored? I won't be taking much other than some money really.

Is it worth bringing your own snorkel and fins? Thanks in advance ☺

There are many waterproof wallets and pouches you can use. I have used a couple and believe me the cheaper ones are not the way to go. I now use this one because it is truly waterproof and it has a belt and can be worn around the waist when snorkeling or swimming.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Valuables-Swimming-Snorkeling-Kayaking/dp/B00X9XVHPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475656752&sr=8-4&keywords=waterproof+wallets

Take care,

Mike

I use a Drypak Alligator wallet. Hangs around neck or can be worn bandolier style. I half-hitch it to my tanking and put it inside.

Only you can decide if brining your own is worth the hassle. We bring our own.

We bought an inexpensive set from Amazon, it's has a mesh bag which helps dry things out.

https://www.amazon.com/Seavenger-Diving-Snorkel-2-windows-Tempered/dp/B00H4F9O88

I also recommend a cheap pair of water shoes (rocks and sea urchins) I prefer swimming in them rather then the fins.

As far as valuables we keep our money and cards in my bathing suit pocket. We also have an expensive camera that we have been lucky leaving with our beach stuff. It really depends where you're at: Bermuda I would feel safe leaving stuff on the beach chair in Bahamas not so much. Some places like The Money Bar in Cozumel have little lockers for rent.

I AGREE! I used these bags in Hawaii last May on 4 Islands, They are wonderful. Better than a lanyard as they don't float in front of your face! The blue one is opaque and the black one is not see through. I had my cell phone, cash and in there and everything stayed dry. I did a test run at home with kleenex in them x 3 and then felt safe enough to try it with my cell phone. For a little extra security I put the cell phone in a sandwich baggie, mostly to protect it from sand as I was removing stuff out of the bag. Dry the bag off as you open it too as water can get into the folds. Has a triple heavy duty zip lock function and folds over x3 with a velcro closure. The strap is long enough for most bodies.

There are many waterproof wallets and pouches you can use. I have used a couple and believe me the cheaper ones are not the way to go. I now use this one because it is truly waterproof and it has a belt and can be worn around the waist when snorkeling or swimming.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Valuables-Swimming-Snorkeling-Kayaking/dp/B00X9XVHPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475656752&sr=8-4&keywords=waterproof+wallets

Take care,

Mike

I also use a waterproof waist pack wallet--just big enough for id, ship cards, and cash. I don't leave anything valuable on the beach unattended. I wouldn't leave stuff unattended when I'm not on vacation, so I certainly wouldn't change my behavior just because I'm on a beach ;)

I bought the ~$30 snorkel set from Costco and take that every time. It's not pro quality by any means, but it beats having to find a rental set of dubious quality and cleanliness.

Snorkeling has been my favorite part of our port days! Have fun!

I have this one too, in lime green. I haven't tried putting something that I'd be afraid of getting wet though (phone, electronic car key, etc.) only used it for cash and ship cards.

And we do bring our own snorkel and mask (we bought inexpensive US Divers). Have no qualms "borrowing" fins (they're too bulky to pack as we try to only have carry on when we fly), but always have water shoes and swim in them to protect our feet (rocks, coral, urchins).

I have a drypak on a lanyard that holds cash, cards. Mine held my iphone 5 perfectly, but it's just a smidge too small for the 6plus. Towel & coverup have to stay on the beach. On occasion I have taken a camera & left in my backpack with towel & coverup - but that is more when I am just playing around out in the water where I can always see my stuff. I'd like to find something to put my camera in to take with me - may just grab a cheapie waterproof disposable to take in the water with me.

• 1 month later...
Hi I'm new to cruising and going on my first cruise in January (9 nights New Caledonia). I would like to go snorkeling but unsure where your belongings go when doing that? Are they kept on the beach or safely stored? I won't be taking much other than some money really.

Is it worth bringing your own snorkel and fins? Thanks in advance ☺

The answer depends if you are going on a snorkeling excursion or just snorkeling off of a beach. We do excursions as much as possible to get to the better snorkeling areas. Typically we leave our belongings on the boat with the excursion crew and have never had any problems. If I am feeling unsure, then I use a waterproof pouch to hold my ID, ship card and money.