Royal Princess Forward Balcony Cabins Question

jimmyz72

Hello guys, first time posting here.

The family and I, (2 kids, both under 3) are planning to do 14 day Mediterranean cruise in late Aug with Royal Princess.

However, all the balcony cabins are booked for the trip and we currently have the Forward BE balcony reserved on the Aloha deck.

I wanted to know if it would be really noisy and also rocky since it's in the front of the ship, but maybe the waters in the Mediterranean are calmer and not going to be an issue?

Would it be better to just reserve for 2018 and get Balcony rooms that are more in the center of the ship instead?

Thanks for advance for any feedback!

The family and I, (2 kids, both under 3) are planning to do 14 day Mediterranean cruise in late Aug with Royal Princess.

However, all the balcony cabins are booked for the trip and we currently have the Forward BE balcony reserved on the Aloha deck.

I wanted to know if it would be really noisy and also rocky since it's in the front of the ship, but maybe the waters in the Mediterranean are calmer and not going to be an issue?

Would it be better to just reserve for 2018 and get Balcony rooms that are more in the center of the ship instead?

It won't be any more noisy than any other cabin, and less than some.. You have cabins above and below you, so no oubkic space issues.

As for movement, who can say? Depends on the seas. We enjoy more forward as we enjoy feeling the ship move..

If you really want to go this coming summer, book the cabin, then keep your eyes peeled on the same category cabins - it's very very likely others will become available as sailing becomes closer and people's plans change - so you could move to a location more desirable to you...no need to wait a whole extra year!

Us, we wouldn't hesitate to book a forward located balcony cabin at all. But we're not sensitive to motion sickness or anything either...

Our favorite location. The kids will like looking into the bridge. This area has a lot less hall traffic (and noise) than midship cabins and is very convenient to the elevators. The Med can have major storms, but it isn't that common. Our last trip it was hard to tell the ship was moving. It really depends on which way the wind and waves are going in relation to the ship.

Kids should like the Gelato bar - get a coffee card so you can use punches instead of paying for the ice cream. Of course free soft ice cream, pizza, burgers, best fries on ocean and a really nice buffet are just a few floors up. Not as much room in the closet as older ships - you will probably need to stuff your luggage under the bed. And not as much drawer/shelf space.

Extra beds probably pull down from the ceiling, so hope you are comfortable with either you or kids sleeping in the upper bunk.

Our favorite location. The kids will like looking into the bridge. This area has a lot less hall traffic (and noise) than midship cabins and is very convenient to the elevators. The Med can have major storms, but it isn't that common. Our last trip it was hard to tell the ship was moving. It really depends on which way the wind and waves are going in relation to the ship.

Kids should like the Gelato bar - get a coffee card so you can use punches instead of paying for the ice cream. Of course free soft ice cream, pizza, burgers, best fries on ocean and a really nice buffet are just a few floors up. Not as much room in the closet as older ships - you will probably need to stuff your luggage under the bed. And not as much drawer/shelf space.

Extra beds probably pull down from the ceiling, so hope you are comfortable with either you or kids sleeping in the upper bunk.

Thank you guys for the feedback. And yes I will definitely look into getting an Coffee Card. I think I will go ahead and put in the deposit and hopefully a better cabin would open up to relocate. Now how do I go about keep tracking of new Cabins available? Should I be calling the cruise line every few month?

Thank you guys for the feedback. And yes I will definitely look into getting an Coffee Card. I think I will go ahead and put in the deposit and hopefully a better cabin would open up to relocate. Now how do I go about keep tracking of new Cabins available? Should I be calling the cruise line every few month?

Just log into princess.com and go to your ship and date as if you were doing a booking. It will show you everything that is available--and yes, cabins to become available as plans change. I would look weekly; it only takes a minute and you never know when a good location will pop up.

Edited by f-mattox

It will be quiet.

It's a big ship. We had family in that area there is little movement.

Thanks for the info, I originally booked through a travel agent, now that i'm looking on Princess.com, I see a few rooms available in the Front Mid section of the ship, but on higher floors. Now is it worth it to move from the front to the Mid Front for extra $120 (Since i'm already paying $2000 per person, it's not that much more, but is it worth it) for the entire trip?

Edited by jimmyz72

If it is the motion and/or noise you are concerned about there is not that much difference between forward and mid-forward. In fact a mid-forward on a higher deck could have more motion than a forward. And if you have cabins above you now you are better off than moving up and having open deck above you. I think I would stay put.

If it is the motion and/or noise you are concerned about there is not that much difference between forward and mid-forward. In fact a mid-forward on a higher deck could have more motion than a forward. And if you have cabins above you now you are better off than moving up and having open deck above you. I think I would stay put.

Great thanks for that feedback. Yeah i think i will just stay put for now :D

Where do you normally check for deals for these? Just go to princess.com and try to book the same cruise once a week?

Exactly!

But be careful. Sometimes if you rebook at a lower rate you may lose the perks (if any) when you originally booked. And sometimes the perks on the new booking are better than the ones you had. You just have to read the offer carefully to know what you may be losing and what you may be gaining. Sometimes the drop in price isn't worth it say, if you got free gratuities with your original booking. And sometimes it will state clearly that the new lower price is for new bookings only; if you cancel and rebook you may not get the same cabin.

Edited by f-mattox

jimmyz72 - you say you're on a 14-day Med cruise, these are usually made up of combinations of 7-day itineries. Different cabins are allocated to different combinations, so the cabin availablility you see when you search for your specific cruise will only be the cabins allocated to that particular 14-day combination. If you're looking for a better cabin location it's worth also searching the two 7-day cruises that cover your period, and also the overlapping 14-day cruises at the beginning and end. You may find a preferable cabin that's available for the period you require, and if so, Princess may be able to re-allocate that cabin to your 14-day cruise for you if you give them a call. There's no guarantee that this is possible, but some people have had success doing this, myself included.

I also have had success doing what RedEarth has described, and have found the cabin I wanted available in each of the two seven-day segments even though it showed as unavailable for the fourteen day. Princess has been willing to give me the cabin when I call. they sometimes have to email another department and it takes a day or two, but I get it.

Thanks guys! That's a great suggestion. I will give that a try see if i can find better cabins.

For now i'm looking at a cabin on Lido Deck L230 section. It is next to the Trident Grill. Wondering if that section is any good.

Thanks guys! That's a great suggestion. I will give that a try see if i can find better cabins.

For now i'm looking at a cabin on Lido Deck L230 section. It is next to the Trident Grill. Wondering if that section is any good.

Due to foot traffic try and stay forward of the elevators on Lido.

Sounds good!! Thanks to all the feedback i'm able to slowly optimize my overall trip.

I'm working with a travel agent for the actual booking, she is very nice, however, seems like i have to tell her each time i'm learning something new here, and she would respond with oh yeah I have guests that did this and that... and she would offer to make changes, but I wish she would have just informed me this instead of me inquiring about it.

Also, looks like I will be owning some shares of princess cruise line soon as well for the additional onboard credit. Do you guys know if there is a minimum amount of time i have to hold the shares to receive the credit?

I have sailed the Med three times; have not had any issues with movement. We never experienced any rocking of the ship in the Med. Last year we did 14 night and had aft cabin and it was the best. No motion at all. I would say; cabin mid forward should be fine. I have a cabin booked up front for july this year.. We are doing Alaska; so we may feel some motion out on the ocean. You should be fine.

So after some more searching, I moved the family to a Mini Suite (MC) room on Lido deck (round $400 extra for 14 days compare to the balcony room we had original booked). *Please let me know if this is a waste hehe*

My question is, is it worth it to move to Aloha Deck (MB) for $100 more for a 14 day cruise?

I do like the idea of being right next to the restaurants and pool on Lido Deck, but being on a lower level could mean less foot traffic and more stable for the overall ship. Plus the lift is close by so it wouldn't be hard to go up to Lido deck if we wanted to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So after some more searching, I moved the family to a Mini Suite (MC) room on Lido deck (round $400 extra for 14 days compare to the balcony room we had original booked). *Please let me know if this is a waste hehe*

My question is, is it worth it to move to Aloha Deck (MB) for $100 more for a 14 day cruise?

I do like the idea of being right next to the restaurants and pool on Lido Deck, but being on a lower level could mean less foot traffic and more stable for the overall ship. Plus the lift is close by so it wouldn't be hard to go up to Lido deck if we wanted to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just check what is above or below each cabin. I would stay put.

I will stay at Lido deck.

The Med wasn't rough for us on the Royal in a forward facing balcony or on the Regal in an aft balcony. Now our forward balcony on the Pacific Princess in the Caribbean was a wholllllle other ballgame!! [emoji33] Stick with this year and enjoy! The Royal and Regal are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Med wasn't rough for us on the Royal in a forward facing balcony or on the Regal in an aft balcony. Now our forward balcony on the Pacific Princess in the Caribbean was a wholllllle other ballgame!! [emoji33] Stick with this year and enjoy! The Royal and Regal are amazing!

We have a forward facing balcony on the Royal in the Med at the end of May. Were there any days that you couldn't go outside? Overall, how would you rate it versus a standard balcony room? Thank you.

We have a forward facing balcony on the Royal in the Med at the end of May. Were there any days that you couldn't go outside? Overall, how would you rate it versus a standard balcony room? Thank you.

We were able to use our balcony the whole time. It was windier but manageable. You do have to keep your curtains closed at night to prevent the lights from affecting the officers on the bridge. We loved the deeper and more private balcony; we chose it for that reason. The side balconies are so tiny on the Royal and Regal. The view for sailaway is spectacular. I'd book that stateroom again in a heartbeat. [emoji106]