Happy Hour

notmyweight

The afternoon BOGO$ is by far the most crowded. There can be a wait of course but they have 3 or 4 bartenders pouring drinks and perhaps 4 or more cocktail waiters. If you go early it does not seem to be as crowded. What we do is go maybe 20 minutes or so before it begins, get a seat and usually a few minutes before it starts the cocktail waiters will come around and get your initial order. The staff really hustles to get those drinks out to the pax.

The late night BOGO$ is usually not that crowded (maybe due to the hour and port call the next day). Probably the best time to go if you can tolerate being up that late at night and going to bed soon after leaving the bar.

In February on the Coral, at the afternoon BOGO, it was always VERY crowded. We found even though the servers hustled, it was far faster to go to the bar and get the drinks. There are usually MANY bartenders, so they do a pretty good job. However, finding a seat could then be a challenge, but you can take them anywhere on the ship if you can't find a seat.

:cool:

I've actually managed to get served twice during the afternoon BOGO. Don't think I'll do that again! On one cruise that normally worthless coupon book had a BOGO coupon for 10:00 - 11:00 and the regular BOGO that cruise was 11:00 - 12:00. I ordered a double bourbon straight up at 10:57 with the coupon and another just after midnight with the regular BOGO. I put all 4 drinks in a single glass and took it to my cabin, put it on a shelf, and went to bed. At that time the BOGO didn't charge the dollar for the second drink so the next day I had a glass with 4 drinks worth of neat bourbon that had only cost me for 2 drinks.

I never really bothered to do that again on any other cruise. On a 17 day canal transit on Coral Princess they actually moved the late BOGO up an hour earlier. I asked a bartender why and he said it was due to the average age on that cruise. Most folks went to bed too early to make the later one work well so they moved the one in Explorer's up an hour. Our next two cruises (October 8 and March 18) were both booked way last year under the previous Sip and Sail so we are pretty well set for those and the BOGO doesn't matter at all.

If you order a glass of wine during the BOGO do they bring you two at the same time? Or do you have to finish the first one before you get second?

No matter what drink you order, you will get two of the same drink which can be shared if you want.

I never really bothered to do that again on any other cruise. On a 17 day canal transit on Coral Princess they actually moved the late BOGO up an hour earlier. I asked a bartender why and he said it was due to the average age on that cruise. Most folks went to bed too early to make the later one work well so they moved the one in Explorer's up an hour. Our next two cruises (October 8 and March 18) were both booked way last year under the previous Sip and Sail so we are pretty well set for those and the BOGO doesn't matter at all.

So that explains why our BOGO time at Skywalker on the Crown was moved mid cruise to 11-12midnight, from 10-11pm. The waitstaff didn't know the answer when asked why. I now remember there were a group of young adults who were regulars till past midnight.

What we do is go maybe 20 minutes or so before it begins, get a seat and usually a few minutes before it starts the cocktail waiters will come around and get your initial order. The staff really hustles to get those drinks out to the pax.

I completely agree with the above, only that I've showed up a mere 5 minutes before and got a table -- and the server would appear within a few minutes. Bingo! I'd then sit and watch folks arriving 10-20 minutes after opening and note they always had to wait for tables and drinks while I was leisurely quaffing mine. Easy-peasy!

Does everyone manage to get served at BOGO or is it a mad rush to the bar?

I don't know if this portion of the original post was actually addressed but...

We don't go up to the bar. We arrive shortly before the appointed hour, pick some comfortable chairs - preferably by a window - and the wait staff come to us. No need to rush to the bar. :cool: