Captains, General Managers, Cruise Directors etc.

92mill

We are wondering why Regent, in common with some but not all lines, do not let us know in advance the names of their senior officers and guest lecturers on forthcoming cruises. Why do we generally have to wait until we board. We know that they are often appointed many months in advance so it cannot be for this reason, and we appreciate that names might change due to force manure. It can't be for the stupid reason that they want to surprise us. So Why?

We are wondering why Regent, in common with some but not all lines, do not let us know in advance the names of their senior officers and guest lecturers on forthcoming cruises. Why do we generally have to wait until we board. We know that they are often appointed many months in advance so it cannot be for this reason, and we appreciate that names might change due to force manure. It can't be for the stupid reason that they want to surprise us. So Why?

Lousy coffee is bad enough. But I should worry about manure?:eek:

Edited by marinaro44

The OP simply misspelled force majeure (although I do not think it applies to this subject).

92mill: While general outlines are done months in advance, there are often changes to the plans. The CD that was supposedly going to be on our cruise last month was not (but he came on the cruise after). Someone posted on CC the name of the GM that they heard was suppose to be on the Mariner in six weeks which is completely different than what I was told by another GM last month. Not sure if it would be better to announce the officers or to announce them, get on board and find total different officers. Guest lecturers and some entertainers move around more than the officers do. A wonderful entertainer was on the Voyager one day and on his way to Oceania's Insignia the next. Difficult to keep track of.

The best way I've found to learn who the officers will be is to ask someone currently on board to ask the GM or CD currently on board if they know who will be replacing them. If it was very important to know, I would call Regent about six weeks prior to the cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

92mill: I can't fault Regent for not announcing in advance of many months who will be the officers. The website also mentions who will be the lecturers who are aboard, as I remember? I don't choose my cruises in this way.

It simply would cause more problems and gripes if those people changed plans for whatever reason. I am not one who depends on the officers aboard for the success of my cruise, I assume they all know and do their jobs well. Lecturers as well. And just don't depend on a particular "line up" to make my cruise a success. Just my opinion. Of course, some officers we have met before are enjoyable. But actually, I find that most of them are that way, with a few exceptions. But even those who aren't won't chase me away. Same with fellow passenger mix, which evolves from one cruise to the next.

For those who are interested, this is the list from Regentimes for August, September and October:

Voyager: Captain Daniel Green until 5 September, then Gianmario Sangulneti.

General Manager from 26 August: Davor Jasipovic.

Cruise Director: Ray Solaire

Mariner: Captain Felice Patruno until 2 October, then Teo Srdelic.

General Manager: Michael Coghlan until 13 October, then Massimo Arzoni.

Cruise Director: From 8 August Lorraine Weimerskirsch

Navigator: Captain Ubaldo Amellino until 20 September then Stanislas Mercier de Locombe.

General Manager from 16 August: Frank Galzy.

Cruise Director: James Logan until 22 September, then Margaret Scoggins.

Hope this is helpful:)

It intrigues me that people are fascinated, or even concerned, about which officers might be on board at any particular time. I couldn't care less and I have zeo desire to find out. It seems to mainly happen on some luxury lines, Regent in partic, & Cunard from what I can see.

I assume that they are all professional, vocationally trained and capable of carrying out their responsibilities. After that, what difference does it make, seriously, who cares?

I guess some folks like to mingle with the captain & officers and feel as tho' they are somehow "involved" or part & parcel of the cruise. I just don't get it, at all, not my thing I'm afraid. Each to their own but I do wonder why folks find it so critical & important.

I've experienced both good & questionable Maître D's, but it doesn't really affect my voyage. If the ship manages to get from origin to destination without any significant mishap then I reckon the Capt and his crew have done their job.

Been to a couple of Capt's receptions, wouldn't bother going to any more - some Capt's are amusing, most are eloquent but, quite frankly, I don't judge a ship or a cruise holiday on the Capt's performance with a microphone or by watching other people getting "prizes" for having been on more cruises & spent more money than the rest of us. That's all a bit "holiday camp" to me tbh. I get the "we are all part of the cruising fraternity" value, but it does get a bit OTT for my money.

Interested to know why the fascination re: officers - would it determine whether or not you actually booked a cruise, does the Capt, or other officers, determine which trip you might choose?

"Force manure."

Possibly the most hilarious and fortuitous typo ever. It deserves to become part of the lexicon. Use it in response when someone hands you a b.s. reason why something wasn't or couldn't be done, or something was changed for no logical reason: "Oh, so it was force manure then?"

Thanks, 92mill, for inadvertently providing a wonderful new expression that I'd never have been clever enough to create on my own.

It was not a real typo but my ipad sometimes substitutes words if I do not use standard English and I did not look this time.

Anyhow I googled 'force manure' and one expression that came up was 's_ _t happens'!

Happy cruising to everyone even if the Captain has no name.

Pies4u, firstly, I am dying to know if you are in the pie business -- love your CC name:-)

As I have posted on other threads, top officers set the tone for many cruises. The General Manager is particularly important in that regard. I'll use Franck Galzy as an example. He was promoted through the ranks and therefore is not only familiar with many jobs on Regent ships, he has known crew members for years and can relate to them. Since he has been on Regent for several years he understands the culture. If he walks by a crew member trying to fix something, he will stop to see if he can help. Nothing is below him. Crew members are happy when he is the GM on their cruise (and a happy crew translates into happy passengers.)

The Regent culture is something unique and important for officers to understand (don't want to keep saying IMO because everything is obviously my opinion). The GM needs to be accessible to guests. If there is a problem in your suite, he has to follow up to insure that the problem has been resolved (either by following up with the guest or the person that fixed the problem). He, along with other officers, make a point to have dinner with guests to learn more about them. The "family" feel on Regent is what they truly want to promote.

Obviously people sail for different reasons. Some stay on the ship and never leave during the cruise -- the ship is their destination. Others sit and play cards, crochet, read, drink at the pool bar all day, etc. Regardless of what reason people are on the ship, they are there to enjoy themselves -- however that looks. In any event, it's all good:)

To answer a question posted by Pies4u, we do not select a sailing based on officers. However, we do know that a cruise will be just a bit better if certain officers are on board.

P.S. minotaur: Thanks to your post I can now stop holding my breath about our upcoming cruise. Although we have not met Michael Coghlan, I could not be more thrilled that he will be on the Mariner until we get off of the ship.

Edited by Travelcat2

Pies4u, firstly, I am dying to know if you are in the pie business -- love your CC name:-)

As I have posted on other threads, top officers set the tone for many cruises. The General Manager is particularly important in that regard. I'll use Franck Galzy as an example. He was promoted through the ranks and therefore is not only familiar with many jobs on Regent ships, he has known crew members for years and can relate to them. Since he has been on Regent for several years he understands the culture. If he walks by a crew member trying to fix something, he will stop to see if he can help. Nothing is below him. Crew members are happy when he is the GM on their cruise (and a happy crew translates into happy passengers.)

The Regent culture is something unique and important for officers to understand (don't want to keep saying IMO because everything is obviously my opinion). The GM needs to be accessible to guests. If there is a problem in your suite, he has to follow up to insure that the problem has been resolved (either by following up with the guest or the person that fixed the problem). He, along with other officers, make a point to have dinner with guests to learn more about them. The "family" feel on Regent is what they truly want to promote.

Obviously people sail for different reasons. Some stay on the ship and never leave during the cruise -- the ship is their destination. Others sit and play cards, crochet, read, drink at the pool bar all day, etc. Regardless of what reason people are on the ship, they are there to enjoy themselves -- however that looks. In any event, it's all good:)

To answer a question posted by Pies4u, we do not select a sailing based on officers. However, we do know that a cruise will be just a bit better if certain officers are on board.

P.S. minotaur: Thanks to your post I can now stop holding my breath about our upcoming cruise. Although we have not met Michael Coghlan, I could not be more thrilled that he will be on the Mariner until we get off of the ship.

I can't imagine what having dinner with an officer does to create or maintain the culture on Regent or any other ship. I find the fellow passengers contribute a lot more to the Regent culture than hobnobbing with an officer. I've sailed on Regent with a multitude of officers over the years and although I don't really know any of them, I continue to sail on Regent. Why is that, do you think?

What, he's going to manage his position differently or cook my next meal or tidy up my cabin?

If the officers want to party with me, then perhaps Regent should pay us for the privilege....we shouldn't be paying them.

Why in the world would I get anxious to know who's running the ship? If it's not one I favor would I get a reduction in my fare or would they allow me to shop around or cancel without penalty?

I can't imagine what having dinner with an officer does to create or maintain the culture on Regent or any other ship. I find the fellow passengers contribute a lot more to the Regent culture than hobnobbing with an officer. I've sailed on Regent with a multitude of officers over the years and although I don't really know any of them, I continue to sail on Regent. Why is that, do you think?

What, he's going to manage his position differently or cook my next meal or tidy up my cabin?

If the officers want to party with me, then perhaps Regent should pay us for the privilege....we shouldn't be paying them.

Why in the world would I get anxious to know who's running the ship? If it's not one I favor would I get a reduction in my fare or would they allow me to shop around or cancel without penalty?

I cannot understand why you would care what anyone else enjoys doing as long as does not affect you. You state that "fellow passengers contribute a lot more to the Regent culture than hobnobbing with an officer". I feel that learning about officers and crew that are away from their families for months at a time and travel the world are more interesting than most other passengers. Everyone is different. I feel that it is better to embrace differences rather than criticizing them. But again, this is how I feel and how I try to live my life.

Edited by Travelcat2

I cannot understand why you would care what anyone else enjoys doing as long as does not affect you. You state that "fellow passengers contribute a lot more to the Regent culture than hobnobbing with an officer". I feel that learning about officers and crew that are away from their families for months at a time and travel the world are more interesting than most other passengers. Everyone is different. I feel that it is better to embrace differences rather than criticizing them. But again, this is how I feel and how I try to live my life.

Sounds like you should become a crew member since you find them more interesting.

Please tell me where I mentioned criticizing differences?

Lousy coffee is bad enough. But I should worry about manure?:eek:

The OP simply misspelled force majeure (although I do not think it applies to this subject).

And here I thought the OP was referring to "horse manure".

Thanks for that TC2. I appreciate your perspective, you always offer a detailed/incisive view.

The beauty of cruising us, as you say, it can provide whatever experience you are looking for, within limits. "All things to all men", as it were.

However, I do still struggle with the concept that a particular manager does "x" whereas others may not, or that problems will get fixed more expediently if "Fred Bloggs" is on board because he's got longer service than someone else. Really - Is it all that fickle & subjective? That seems odd to me and would be a tad worrying tbh. Cabin staff have always sorted our problems out, regardless of who the officers were.

Voyager: Captain Gianmario Sangulneti and GM Davor Jasipovic are both on board now.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy -- I almost forgot that Davor got on the Voyager the day we departed (July 26th) which shows that things change -- even when they are put in writing in a brochure.

Pies4u: Gosh -- this is really difficult to explain because some of the differences are not easy to see. No one is perfect which is why some people report problems on board that were not fixed to their satisfaction. While rare, it does happen. Many times it has to do with follow through. We had a problem on our December/January Voyager cruise. It was an easy fix but didn't happen due to lack of follow-through by the G.M.

There are quite a few differences with Cruise Directors. Some are outgoing and good at getting a lot of enthusiasm out of the passengers. Others are more sedate but still do their jobs well. Captains, for the most part are not overly outgoing yet Capt. McNeill allowed himself to be thrown in the pool during a crossing the equator ceremony. Capt. Green was one of the most friendly Captain's we have met. He was out at the pool deck putting "blue foam" on every passenger's nose during a ceremony to mark entering the Arctic Circle. Does this make or break a cruise? Definitely not. But, it can create at atmosphere that is a little more upbeat and fun.

Edited by Travelcat2

No captain can beat Neal Broomhall, formerly of the Diamond. Remember him? Friendliest, most accessible, most sociable captain we've ever met. He was a guy who knew how to work an audience, apparently loving it all the while and making everyone feel as if they were part of the ship's family.

Ironically, his current command is a cruise ship named Voyager. Not Regent's Voyager, unfortunately. It's the sole ship of a UK company called Voyages of Discovery. Nice looking ship; not too big, not too small, but not enough balconies for us Regent stalwarts. Interesting itineraries, though.

Back in the early 00's aboard good ol' Diamond with Capt. Broomhall commanding and Giuseppe Ginanneschi as CD, she was the best ship ever. We would book a cruise today, regardless of destination, just to sail again with that combo. Well, depending upon the ship, of course……Oasis of the Seas need not apply.

I will happily agree with the posters who found that the term, "force manure", was a wonderful addition to the lexicon of cruising discussions. As a former corporate shark, who used the "force majeure" notion all too frequently, it is quite delightful to encounter a variation of that term that is so useful.

Ah, the subject of captains, GM's, and CD's... There are some passengers who set enormous stake in such things, particularly those who were part of the "Cult of Captain Dag" (a former captain on Regent who now works for Seabourn). Some of those people would choose cruises simply because Dag would be the captain.

Although that seems quite silly to me, I must admit that I would consider more seriously a cruise on which Franck G. was to be the GM simply because we have had such excellent experiences on cruises on which he was the GM.

I would suggest that the GM is more important in terms of setting the temper of a cruise than either the Captain or the CD, since the GM sets the tone of service.

Cheers, Fred

I rarely if ever spend any time with officers but I think they can make a big difference to the atmosphere of the ship. Last year on our Asia cruise we changed Captains half way through the cruise. The atmosphere in the ship took a huge 180 when Captain McNeil took over from Captain Sangulneti. The crew seemed to become much more relaxed and friendly.

I would happily sail exclusively on a ship that Captain McNeil was running. That is not a possibility so I will enjoy whichever cruise I am on with whoever is the Captain.:D