Alcohol Policy for 18 year old

Nancy_Hawks

From what I have read on the NCL official site is that if there is a parent on the cruise and signs a "permission slip", an 18 year old will be able to drink beer and wine while on the ship. I'm just wanted to make sure this is true.

Also, it's been several years since I've cruised and I also read on the NCL site that cruising to Mexico does not require a passport anymore. I have one, but my son's has expired and didn't really want to spend $$$ to get it renewed. Is this also true?

TIA

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate**

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

** My comment: Must be the official state issued birth certificate (many have a raised seal) not the certificate of live birth that hospitals provide.

Here is the link to the full passport policy from NCL:

http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Edited by nets33

the 18 year old rule only applies if sailing ports where legal drinking age is 18 eg Europe

Not exactly. The 18yo beer and wine with permission of onboard parent is every cruise except those in Europe where the drinking age is 18 and then no permission is required.

Re your son's passport, I would think about having it renewed if there is time to do so before your cruise. [suze Orman would advise getting your son to pay for the renewal by doing jobs around the house:D] It's good for many years to come. Who knows when your family or your son will want to travel again?

Otherwise, please, please read past threads here about traveling with correct proof of citizenship docs. As the last poster mentioned, you need to be super careful that if he takes his birth certificate, it's the correct one. There are sad stories about people denied boarding because they brought what they thought was the right one.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

the 18 year old rule only applies if sailing ports where legal drinking age is 18 eg Europe

Nope, we gave our son permission in May on a cruise to the Bahamas. If it's an NCL sailing in Europe than no parental permission is required, the drinking age is 18.

Nope, we gave our son permission in May on a cruise to the Bahamas. If it's an NCL sailing in Europe than no parental permission is required, the drinking age is 18.

that's interesting. they must have changed the rules recently-always glad to be corrected with up to date info

a few years ago our 18 year old daughter was able to drink on a Europe cruise wine and beer with a permission slip-was a bit daft as she is from the UK and had been "legal" to drink all alcohol on land for a few months

she made great friends with a lot of other young people

One of the Spanish 19 year olds was unable to partake as his parents refused to sign the slip

Thank you all for all the great information. Everything I reading about WAS correct. My son will be able to drink beer & wine with my permission. AND we use to do a lot of cruises without a passport with my son. We will make sure we have proper documents. Unless he wants to invest in getting a new passport. Last I checked, because he had a minor's passport, we can't just get it renewed. He has to re-apply, etc.

Not exactly. The 18yo beer and wine with permission of onboard parent is every cruise except those in Europe where the drinking age is 18 and then no permission is required.

Alaska and Hawaii have to be 21.

From NCL.com:

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Edited by ColinIllinois

The main reason to get your son's passport is that if something happens while you are on the cruise he will not be able to get back into the country via another method i.e. airplane, car. The process of getting the kids new passports was pretty painless at the post office and my son, who was 17 at the time, got his for 10 years while my daughter, 13 only got 5 years.

I signed for my 19 year old Daughter on our December Epic Cruise. She had no problem ordering wine or beer. There is one limitation. They will only serve the underage with permission one drink at a time. He will not be allowed the take advantage of the beer bucket special.

We went on RCCL EOS in April and they are strict with the 21 drinking age. My daughter is now 20 and has been legal for 2 years in Canada. We both bought soda packages for that cruise. No big deal for me not to drink....kinda like being at home.

I hope this doesn't get lost as I don't want to post a separate question...

My sons are 21 and 18. We plan to give permission for the 18 yr old as he will be hanging with his brother anyway. Does anyone know if he will be able to go into the Ice Bar - not to order the vodka drinks, but just to get in? I know they'd both get a kick out of it but I don't want to even mention it if he cannot go.

My sons are 21 and 18. We plan to give permission for the 18 yr old as he will be hanging with his brother anyway. Does anyone know if he will be able to go into the Ice Bar - not to order the vodka drinks, but just to get in? I know they'd both get a kick out of it but I don't want to even mention it if he cannot go.

Yes minors can go into the Ice Bar, they still need to pay the cover charge. There will be non-alcoholic drinks available.

He can definitely go. Just has to pay the cover charge. My son went and I think he was 11 or 12 at the time.