Alaska in September

Tiftinsas

Hello everyone, I'm going on Alaska on celebrity in September

, can anyone tell me what the weather/ temperature was like and how were the excursions.. What are some of the favorites.. Thanks.. looking forward to your responses.

Hello everyone, I'm going on Alaska on celebrity in September

, can anyone tell me what the weather/ temperature was like and how were the excursions.. What are some of the favorites.. Thanks.. looking forward to your responses.

Our first Alaska cruise was in September.

As is the case with whenever you go to Alaska, the weather is wildly variable. The weather we had on our September cruise was quite similar to what we had on our June cruise a few years later. Generally cool, grey, sometimes misty rain weather. Temperatures in the high 50s to mid 60s.

On the other hand, I have a friend that got a sunburn on her September cruise.

We like the Skagway White Pass Railroad excursion.

We've been to Alaska twice in September. Weather ranged from rainy and cold to sunny and cool. Bring layers, comfortable walking shoes and socks and a waterproof coat with a hood. I brought some silk long underwear and wore them twice during the trip - for landing on a glacier in a helicopter and for walking around Ketchikan. I would typically wear jeans, a knit shirt, AND a knit jacket or a fleece jacket (depending on if it was really cold or not) or the rain coat with hood. It is good to have gloves if your hands get cold. Bring an umbrella if you don't like walking around in rain. I used to live in Seattle, so the hood was enough for me, but it might not be for others.

What you should know is that going up from Seattle or Vancouver and coming back down can be a wild ride. On both of our cruises in September, we experienced high seas. Luckily we had Trans Derm Scops (by prescription from the doctor) so it was not a problem for us, but for the crew and most of the rest of the passengers (including my inlaws who didn't listen to me when I told them specifically to get Trans Derm Scops) - they spent the first 2 nights and all of the second day barfing in their cabins. It was an interesting experience because all the shows were canceled and the ship almost looked abandoned as there were so few people in the dining room at dinner on those nights or walking around the ship! We spent time in the atrium watching people struggling to walk around the ship - they were trying to get to the seasick table the ship's doctor had in the Atrium and we went topside to watch the water shoot out of the pool 20 feet in the air like a geyser. In many areas of the ship they had put ropes to help people get around and of course you had to use the railings in the hallway and time your steps so you wouldn't get knocked off your feet by the waves. Really, these were some of the most fun and interesting nights I've ever spend onboard a ship! But it wouldn't have been without the Scops.

As to the Excursions - they are fantastic. I recommend taking a helicopter and landing on a glacier, I've done some ice climbing which was amazing but hard, I loved flight seeing over the Misty Fjords and the train ride - White Pass - from Skagway - WOW! http://wpyr.com/excursions/product/ticket/summit-excursion/

Ketchikan, we've gone whale watching and nature hiking. Even just walked around town, went to Ketchikan Creek - saw a salmon run and a seal who had caught himself a salmon for lunch and was laying back in the creek enjoying it. There is a salmon ladder at the end of Married Men's Trail - the best place for photographing jumping salmon. There is dogsledding sometimes and people say they love it - we haven't been though. I read another person's review here and they had a Deadliest Catch tour - that looked really fun. I really don't think you can go wrong! Alaska is amazing!

Weather varies in Alaska and history isn't always a predictor.

This summer they are having the highest temperature on record.

Often though it can be rainy in September.

Best to check the forecast shortly before you begin your cruise and also to layer clothing as weather can not only change week to week or day to day but even hour by hour.

Keith

Weather is unpredictable.

We have cruised Alaska in September. Weather was cold and rainy.

Don't know what ports you will be visiting.

Excursions -- Orga Enterprises for whale watching in Juneau.

Sitka -- Wild Life and Sea Otter excursion -- we saw lots of whales, sea otters, eagles, sea lions.

Ketchikan -- Saxmon Village, Totem Bight, Creek Street.

Skagway -- White Pass and Yukon train.

If you've never done a helicopter excursion, don't make a glacier flyover/landing your first one. BORING. Save your dollars for that helicopter ride until you can do the NaPali Coast on Kauai.

For the best panoramic air experience involving a glacier, opt instead for a ride in a float plane (with a water landing/takeoff from some secluded lake). Do your homework and make sure that the plane you use is a traditional and historic Dehavilland (before they all disappear).

Check the forecast a few days before leaving. We went to Alaska end June/early July and the weather was cool. The week before it was unseasonably warm, so you never know. We had an excursion in Juneau (I think) and it rained all day. We were soaked. Came back to the ship and took a long hot bath (with some bubbly). Alaska is beautiful!