Cover Up

kscruiseaholic

I was wondering something....

What is the proper Etiquette for swim wear cover ups on the pool deck and around this ship. Is it considered tacky to wear just a tankini w/swim skirt on board in the public areas or does one use a cover up over it when going to lunch etc.

Just curious what everyones opinion is on this.

What is the proper Etiquette for swim wear cover ups on the pool deck and around this ship. Is it considered tacky to wear just a tankini w/swim skirt on board in the public areas or does one use a cover up over it when going to lunch etc.

Swim suits, even swim skirts are not allowed in the buffet area. You will occasionally see someone in a bikini top with shorts on, but even that would get you turned away in the MDR.

Any of the outdoor food service areas on the Lido deck it's okay to stay in your bathing suit.

Very rarely I will see someone walking down the Promenade with just a bathing suit on, but it's pretty rare and generally considered in poor taste.

I've seen young kids and teens all over the ship in their swimsuits. Especially in the buffet, deli, pizza area, etc. It doesn't bother me. But I don't ever recall seeing adults in just their swimwear around public places on the ship.

I think it totally improper for anyone to go into a place to eat without having a cover-up over their swimsuit and wearing some type of shoe, unless it is a place to eat around the pool area.

JMHO:D

I have honestly seen people wearing anything and everything in the Lido restaurant. Some cruises the "cover up" rule was never enforced and others I actually saw crew telling people to put something on over their swimsuits. I have seen girls walking around in just their bikinis on the Promenade but I think it's tacky.

Thanks for clarifying this, I rarely get into the pool, and haven't really paid much attention to what people are wearing. The reason I asked is my tankini looks like a "tanktop" and the swim skirt is past mid thigh. Probably would never know its a swim suit unless I said something. :D I'm pretty covered up lol, but still don't want to embarass myself :eek:

Thanks for clarifying this, I rarely get into the pool, and haven't really paid much attention to what people are wearing. The reason I asked is my tankini looks like a "tanktop" and the swim skirt is past mid thigh. Probably would never know its a swim suit unless I said something. :D I'm pretty covered up lol, but still don't want to embarass myself :eek:

Around the pool deck it's fine to wear your tankini swimsuit but as it's still a swimsuit, it wouldn't be appropriate to wear it to the buffet or any public areas without a cover-up. That's JMHO.;)

Edited by mousey

What about coverups that are a solid color, but you can still see the suit through them? I am trying to get my wardrobe together & need more coverups, but I don't know if the sheer see through ones are appropriate?

If it's so sheer that you can see your body through it, then it isn't appropriate. The whole point is to "cover-up". If it's opaque and you only see like an outline or something like that, it should be fine. It also should be long enough to cover your derriere and the neckline should be high enough to cover most of your breasts if your swimsuit overly exposes them;). That's JMHO. Just use good judgment and you'll be fine.

Edited by mousey

For the most part, a guy can get away with pulling on a t-shirt, and as long as his swim trunks aren't wet, can go on in to the buffet area without a problem. But it's funny how women react to what other women are (or aren't) wearing in the buffet area, especially if they've just come from the pool area. And it also amuses me as to what some passengers deem as "appropriate" or not. Some of the things that some women use as cover-ups look worse than if they'd just not bother with a cover-up at all. To the OP, since your tankini has a skirt, why couldn't you just pull on a t-shirt (extra long if necessary) as a cover-up? And what exactly has to be covered up? The torso? A t-shirt works fine for that. The tush? If your buns are already covered by your bathing suit and nothing's hanging out, what's the problem? I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, and I just don't see what the fuss is all about. Now, if you're covering up your birthday suit, that's a different story.:cool:

I disagree with everyone else.

I think what you describe is fine for walking around the ship and dining at the buffet. I often wear a tank top and a short skort around the ship. How is your bathing suit any different? An actual cover-up would be good for the dining room, though.

Is it permissible to walk around public areas in swim trunks (almost knee-length) and a T-shirt?

Yep DH does this all the time...he has even had his swimsuit on with a nice t-shirt and we have had breakfast in the MDR..no issues at all